Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com

Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/)
-   General Rifle Discussion (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f18/)
-   -   Considering different brands (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f18/considering-different-brands-76981/)

95sniper 11-24-2012 06:07 AM

Considering different brands

Have any of you tried a tikka rifle? I was looking at their t3 varmint model in 308 over a remington 700. I am also researching the cz 550 varmint in 308, any opinions? Thanks

Txhillbilly 11-24-2012 06:58 AM

Tikka and CZ make very nice rifles,and they are very accurate. Neither brand have much aftermarket support,and the factory magazines for Tikka rifles are pretty expensive.
Remington or Savage are just as accurate,and have a large aftermarket for accessories.

jpattersonnh 11-24-2012 12:47 PM

CZ Rifles are awesome. They come standard w/ an Aluminum bedding block and don't need aftermarket "stuff" to make them any better. They are a true controled feed Mauser action. Accuracy is no issue. The single set trigger set at about 10oz is as good as it gets. If you want to shoot it w/ the trigger in 2 stage it is still VG. I bought my 527 Varmint before other companies started making rings. Had an issue w/ one of the CZ rings. They sent a new set, no questions asked. Only an appology for the inconvenience.

SSGN_Doc 11-24-2012 02:52 PM

I have a Sako, which has a fairly similar action to the Tikka. I have yet to shoot a Finn rifle that did not have great accuracy. That three lugged bolt is just slightly faster to work because it is a few degrees shorter in rotation to unlock and it is buttery smooth.

The only CZ rifles I have experience with are .22s or Czech made Mausers. The .22s are all very well made, exhibit great finish work and are very accurate.

If I wanted a rifle to look at I'd probably pick the CZ. But for running the rifle I guess I'm partial to the Finns and would take the Tikka.

jpattersonnh 11-24-2012 09:31 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SSGN_Doc (Post 1025314)
I have a Sako, which has a fairly similar action to the Tikka. I have yet to shoot a Finn rifle that did not have great accuracy. That three lugged bolt is just slightly faster to work because it is a few degrees shorter in rotation to unlock and it is buttery smooth.

The only CZ rifles I have experience with are .22s or Czech made Mausers. The .22s are all very well made, exhibit great finish work and are very accurate.

If I wanted a rifle to look at I'd probably pick the CZ. But for running the rifle I guess I'm partial to the Finns and would take the Tikka.

The issue with what you posted is that Tikka actions have 2 forward locking lugs, not 3 as Sako rifles do. Neither has any rear. My CZ is pretty, but even prettier when shot. Again, The CZ Has 3 locking lugs, 2 forward, 1 rear as all '98 actions do. The early Model 70 never would have had the action it did if not for the Mauser. It improved on the mauser w/ the positioning of the extractor on the side of 1 of the lugs, not through it. The CZ rifle completely supports the case head, that translates to accuracy and reliability.