Considering a .223 bolt action - Page 2
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Long Guns > General Rifle Discussion > Considering a .223 bolt action

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-29-2013, 12:14 PM   #11
JTJ
FTF_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 1987 Times on 1076 Posts
Likes Given: 592

I have a CZ American and it has a 1:12 twist. It is the only thing I dont like about the rifle. It tolerates 55 grains @ 1 moa but shines with 45 grains @ .5 moa. Get a 1:9 twist. I bought my grandson a Savage 10 package and he was shooting 1 moa with 55 grain hand loads his 1st trip out. My SIL and I were able to get sub moa with the Savage. The Vanguard has a 1:12. An interesting rifle is the Mossberg MVP. It is the only bolt I have found that is factory chambered for the 5.56x45 and it uses AR mags. It comes in 3 barrel lengths (18.5", 20", 24") and runs about $500 on line if you can find one. I want one with a 20" barrel and it is a 1:9 twist.

Patron Member NRA
"I would not be an old man if I had not been an armed young man." JTJ
"Political correctness is a doctrine, fostered by a delusional, illogical minority, and promoted by mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a piece of feces by the clean end."

Old 01-29-2013, 10:16 PM   #12

Liked 6 Times on 5 Posts
Likes Given: 3

Maybe look into this also. http://www.ruger.com/products/mini14RanchRifle/models.html , I like these and they have been around for some time. Do some research on the twist, it appear 1:9. Don't own one...yet

Old 01-29-2013, 11:47 PM   #13

Liked 39 Times on 21 Posts
Likes Given: 8

Wow, there have been a lot of great replies! I think the general consensus is that it isn't a bad idea. I'll keep the barrel twist in mind when it is time to purchase. I suppose I can add a little. I've never pointed a gun at anything living, well, other than the occasional plant, and while I'd like to learn to hunt one day soon, it isn't exactly on the schedule. We shoot paper targets, in the past I shot many many paper targets, and now that I've picked it up again, I plan to shot many many more paper targets, and now that I have been learning more, maybe there will be steel targets down the road. I figure if I learn about hunting and decide that is for me, I have the .308 for larger game and the .223 would work for the little critters.

Addressing some of the specific posts. I'm not really interested in .17hmr or .22wmr at this time. I want to stick to the 3 rifle cartridges that I already use and have on hand. On the mini-14 ranch rifle, I have one of those on my future list. Although there is a semi-automatic .223/5.56 in the gun cabinet, there is something about the mini-14 I like when it comes to the boys, because, well, they are impressionable and it just doesn't look as cool as other semi-automatic .223 rifles if you know what I mean. Some of the rifles mentioned seem a bit out of the budget. I didn't give a number but I'm thinking something less than $500 including the scope. I suppose I could reconsider, but if I'm going to break that number I'll probably go with another Remington 700 because it is what I know, and I know I like it.

Thanks All.

J

Old 01-30-2013, 01:18 AM   #14

Liked 185 Times on 147 Posts
Likes Given: 106

Quote:
Originally Posted by JosephMD
Wow, there have been a lot of great replies! I think the general consensus is that it isn't a bad idea. I'll keep the barrel twist in mind when it is time to purchase. I suppose I can add a little. I've never pointed a gun at anything living, well, other than the occasional plant, and while I'd like to learn to hunt one day soon, it isn't exactly on the schedule. We shoot paper targets, in the past I shot many many paper targets, and now that I've picked it up again, I plan to shot many many more paper targets, and now that I have been learning more, maybe there will be steel targets down the road. I figure if I learn about hunting and decide that is for me, I have the .308 for larger game and the .223 would work for the little critters.

Addressing some of the specific posts. I'm not really interested in .17hmr or .22wmr at this time. I want to stick to the 3 rifle cartridges that I already use and have on hand. On the mini-14 ranch rifle, I have one of those on my future list. Although there is a semi-automatic .223/5.56 in the gun cabinet, there is something about the mini-14 I like when it comes to the boys, because, well, they are impressionable and it just doesn't look as cool as other semi-automatic .223 rifles if you know what I mean. Some of the rifles mentioned seem a bit out of the budget. I didn't give a number but I'm thinking something less than $500 including the scope. I suppose I could reconsider, but if I'm going to break that number I'll probably go with another Remington 700 because it is what I know, and I know I like it.

Thanks All.

J
I think if you want to spend less than $500 go with the savage axis I paid $429 for mine (.308) with a scope already mounted on it.

Marlin Model 60
Mossberg Maverick 88-12 GA
Mosin Nagant 91/30
Stag Model 2
Smith And Wesson M&P 15-22
Mossberg ATR 100 "Night Train"-.308
Chinese T53 Mosin Nagant X2

Old 01-30-2013, 02:41 AM   #15

Liked 13 Times on 11 Posts

Joe,

I spent so much time rambling, I forgot to mention the most important part; My son can't get enough of the .223! It was the perfect step up for him, and to be honest I'm sure he would have been ready for it even a year or two earlier.

Now that you've mentioned a $500 budget and your affection for those Remingtons, I'd almost recommend you save up and buy the gun you know you want, that Model 700. Your boys might have to grow into a gun, but they'll never grow out of one!

Old 01-30-2013, 02:55 AM   #16

Liked 190 Times on 129 Posts
Likes Given: 89

Quote:
Originally Posted by TNARG View Post
The stickies in the AR forum have a bunch of good info on that very question
Thank you, TNARG. I was throwing the question out there as a soft ball so the answer could be on this thread as an extra resource.

I might as well hit this query out of the park. 1:9" barrel twist can eat anything from 55 grains to 69 grains. Depending on your particular barrel, one could probably stretch those numbers out at each end.

2 Chron. 7:14 Christians must seek His face

Old 01-30-2013, 03:22 AM   #17

Liked 16 Times on 12 Posts

The tikka T3 is hard to beat for the money. Adjustable trigger and factory free floated barrels. If I'm not mistaking they also guarantee 1 inch or under out ofthe box accuracy. I ordered mine from a gun dealer for right around five hundred bucks. These were 69 gr SBK test loads with 3 different powder weights. It will shoot 55 gr v-max's as well if not better. I couldn't be more pleased with a 500 dollar rifle. Mine has a 1-8 twist barrel.

image-1230776086.jpg

image-2532667469.jpg

image-1196841044.jpg

image-2915341699.jpg

Old 01-31-2013, 10:39 PM   #18
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 5739 Times on 3248 Posts
Likes Given: 5169

Quote:
Originally Posted by JosephMD View Post

I mean. Some of the rifles mentioned seem a bit out of the budget. I didn't give a number but I'm thinking something less than $500 including the scope. I suppose I could reconsider, but if I'm going to break that number I'll probably go with another Remington 700 because it is what I know, and I know I like it.

Thanks All.

J
Spend the $500 on the rifle ans start saving for the scope.
Use the iron sights unril you can afford a decent scope.

Any scope that you can pick up for less than $300 probably isn't worth bringing home. There are many scopes suitable for .223 that you can get in the $400-$500 range that are excellent.

Winston Churchill

Old 01-31-2013, 10:51 PM   #19

Liked 2851 Times on 1689 Posts
Likes Given: 1878

just a thought....but i'm leaning against the 223 caliber in general these days, unless you are a handloader, shortages are common.

you might consider other common hunting calibers like 22-250. 243, etc.

Old 02-01-2013, 01:31 PM   #20

Liked 39 Times on 21 Posts
Likes Given: 8

Quote:
Originally Posted by hawkguy View Post
just a thought....but i'm leaning against the 223 caliber in general these days, unless you are a handloader, shortages are common.

you might consider other common hunting calibers like 22-250. 243, etc.
Handloading is something I wouldn't mind learning, but when I first looked into it, I found that it wasn't a big money saver, at least not over the cheap ammunition I tend to buy, and that it is a very time consuming process.

I considered other calibers, there are many to choose from, but I figured that standardizing on fewer cartridge types would be better in the long run. .22LR, .223REM, and .308WIN. I'm also considering a semi-automatic carbine for pistol cartridges as well, assuming that they aren't all banned later.

Maybe this type of standardization is misguided on my part. It isn't a new idea for me, but right now, I don't actually practice it, every one of my firearms currently uses a different cartridge. I'd also like to add a .308 semi-automatic sometime down the road.