Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com

Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/)
-   General Rifle Discussion (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f18/)
-   -   Confused about a gun case (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f18/confused-about-gun-case-40673/)

nikotromus11 04-02-2011 05:49 AM

Confused about a gun case

Hi Guys,

I just purchased a Planco gun case at Academy sports. Its got a two layer foam bottom on the case. When I place my rifle on the foam, it was very hard to close the case. I'm worried I may damage my rifle/scope. They have instructions for cutting the top layer of faom away to customize the case. Is that what you are supposed to do with these cases? Cut away that top piece of foam? Or, is it supposed to be extreemely tight when I close the case?

Thanks in advance for any advice here.

Ryan

BlindOldMan 04-02-2011 10:29 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by nikotromus11 (Post 477630)
Hi Guys,

I just purchased a Planco gun case at Academy sports. Its got a two layer foam bottom on the case. When I place my rifle on the foam, it was very hard to close the case. I'm worried I may damage my rifle/scope. They have instructions for cutting the top layer of faom away to customize the case. Is that what you are supposed to do with these cases? Cut away that top piece of foam? Or, is it supposed to be extreemely tight when I close the case?

Thanks in advance for any advice here.

Ryan

My rifle carry cases require some effort to close.. Not hard, you just can't close the top and engage the locks but have to put a few pounds of pressure on the top as you close. This is good. If it were easy the rifles would shift around when carrying.

BillM 04-02-2011 06:00 PM

Yes. Cut out the outline of your rifle in the top layer of foam as per the
instructions.

nikotromus11 04-02-2011 06:21 PM

nope Bill M - I you're wrong. I just took my AR and the case to the local armory. Those guys know what they are talking about. They said it's supposed to be tight like that. You can cut out the foam if you want to, but it will probably look like crap without the right equipment to cut it out with, and then the case will always be married to that particular rifle.

Wambli 04-03-2011 03:13 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by nikotromus11 (Post 477837)
nope Bill M - I you're wrong. I just took my AR and the case to the local armory. Those guys know what they are talking about. They said it's supposed to be tight like that. You can cut out the foam if you want to, but it will probably look like crap without the right equipment to cut it out with, and then the case will always be married to that particular rifle.

That is correct. So you know those cases are only good for transportaion and short term storage. The open cell foam traps moisture and promotes rust. It's also not impevious to cleaning solvents and if you leave a gun in there long term it will degrade and you'll end up with a nice waffle iron pattern all over the wood ad metal of your gun.

Switchbarrel 04-10-2011 09:41 AM

Quote:

Am I understanding you correctly, the instructions from the manufacturer say to cut the foam but the geniuses at the local gunshop say "no" so they must be right...? (Sorry gunshop employees who actually know something outside of what Guns & Ammo/Shooting Times, etc. print. Too many around here don't) I don't know which particular case you have but, if the case has three layers of foam, you can cut the middle one, not the top one as you mention, and the rifle won't shift around in the case during transport (yes, it does marry that one piece of foam to that one rifle. Foam is replaceable).

My Starlight cases came with the razor knife to cut the foam. Surprisingly, an electric carving knife with sharp blades works pretty well too.

-Rick

crockett007 04-10-2011 12:33 PM

Quote:

Before you start telling people they are "wrong" when you asked for thier help, do your homework.

The extra layer of foam is provided for fitting. This can be done easily with a grease pencil and an electric knife.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v2...t007/003-6.jpg

nikotromus11 04-10-2011 02:43 PM

Point taken. Thanks for the info

Wambli 04-10-2011 03:33 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Wambli (Post 478337)
That is correct. So you know those cases are only good for transportaion and short term storage. The open cell foam traps moisture and promotes rust. It's also not impevious to cleaning solvents and if you leave a gun in there long term it will degrade and you'll end up with a nice waffle iron pattern all over the wood ad metal of your gun.

I will modify what I said. All the Plano gun cases I have seen have two layers of foam, top and bottom. On these you are not suppossed to cut the foam and yes they are tight. I just went to their website and they show some models with three layers of foam and yes these are meant for you to customize for one gun by cutting the outline of the gun in the middle layer.

nikotromus11 04-10-2011 04:30 PM

Awesome! I jsut got back from walmart with box cutters and an electric knife. I'm tyring to find info on the Plano web sight. If you could, please post the link you found.