Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Long Guns > General Rifle Discussion > Composite AR-15 lowers

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-02-2012, 09:41 PM   #11
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 27 Times on 21 Posts
Likes Given: 18

Quote:
Originally Posted by SSGN_Doc View Post
Well let us know how it works out for you. Most folks don't really run ARs very hard. I've recently read a couple bad reviews of the NFAs. One with recurring broken pins. Another with a break at the rear of the receiver.

I guess my main issues fall in a couple directions. I believe modern plastics are capable of being used successfully in firearms design. Many manufacturers have proven that. However, there is a significant gap in the design of the AR receivers and modern plastics. The AR was designed with dimensions that narrow an take advantage of the structural properties of aircraft aluminum. Those other successful firearms that use plastics were designed from the beginning to use polymer in the design and the polymer AR receivers do not make dimensional changes to strengthen weak points that survive when made out if aluminum. Plum Crazy, Hesse, Vulcan, bushmaster, and others all end up with failures in the same places. CavArms made a plastic receiver that worked well but it made structural changes to compensate for the change in material.
Aside from bushmaster where are the other polymer lower companies today. They make plastic receivers at a cost of about $20 a unit or far less. Sell them for a 400 or greater percent profit then close shop.

My next issue is that there are a lot of forged aluminum receivers that are about the cost of a pizza or two more. So why bother.
Yes, the Delaware Machinery was 20 dollars more and forged aluminum. $20 is no big deal, that's just the cost of a magazine. I've heard of problems with the polymer internals, but I just got a stripped receiver and I'm loading them with delton LPKs, so that takes care of those issues. I just can't see there being enough stress on the lower for it to get damaged from normal usage of the rifle. I'll find out, though. If it breaks, not much money was lost, and I can get replacements.

Old 10-04-2012, 09:21 PM   #12

I just got the two today. They're a lot stronger than I thought they'd be. I'm satisfied with them for now. If nothing else I'll put .22LR uppers on them if they fail to prove themselves with the 5.56 uppers.

The dealer that received them for me had actually just received two others for someone else before I came to get mine.

Old 10-04-2012, 11:11 PM   #13

Liked 185 Times on 147 Posts
Likes Given: 105

Do you have to be 21 to get a stripped lower?

Old 10-04-2012, 11:15 PM   #14

Liked 2075 Times on 1222 Posts
Likes Given: 445

Quote:
Originally Posted by TNARG View Post
Yes. For stripped lowers you must be 21 because it could be made into a pistol. If it is sold with a rifle stock attached as a rifle then you just need to be over 18.

Old 10-04-2012, 11:23 PM   #15

Quote:
They make a complete lower for $100, I believe it's already fitted with a stock, but it also has the composite internal components. I'd just trash those. They might be fine, but I just don't trust composite pins or the like. A del ton complete LPK is cheap enough.

Old 10-04-2012, 11:41 PM   #16

Liked 185 Times on 147 Posts
Likes Given: 105

Quote:
Originally Posted by SSGN_Doc View Post
Yes. For stripped lowers you must be 21 because it could be made into a pistol. If it is sold with a rifle stock attached as a rifle then you just need to be over 18.
Well that's disappointing i was looking forward to a first AR build....guess it will have to wait.

Old 10-05-2012, 12:44 AM   #17

Quote:
Well that's disappointing i was looking forward to a first AR build....guess it will have to wait.
You'd have to inquire about legality, but you might be able to get a parent to buy the stripped lower, attach a stock, and then you could probably obtain ownership of the receiver. The receiver itself is designated as a rifle. There are separate receivers designated as pistol. I'm not up to par on legal issues for under-21, but you should inquire about buying the stripped lower yourself. The local FFL dealer will probably know.

Old 10-05-2012, 01:40 PM   #18

Liked 71 Times on 59 Posts
Likes Given: 35

I'm not too familiar with AR's as a whole. What I've seen so far, and this might not be from ALL Companies that manufacture lowers, is that the lowers I've seen, if it is to be built or bought as a pistol, the receiver will have "PISTOL" somewhere around/near the serial number. That's not saying a person can't build one as a pistol, but if you have a registered, lower receiver that you build into a pistol, then you run the risk of FBI involvement of having an improper "Registered" gun, which will give you jail time. If you make a pistol from a rifle that came from a manufacturer, serial numbered as a rifle, then you must re-register it and pay the proper taxes to Uncle Sam. ALL GUNS, be they rifle or pistol, must be registered one way or other nowadays.
Del

Old 10-05-2012, 01:46 PM   #19

Liked 360 Times on 224 Posts
Likes Given: 167

Quote:
Originally Posted by Triumphman View Post
I'm not too familiar with AR's as a whole. What I've seen so far, and this might not be from ALL Companies that manufacture lowers, is that the lowers I've seen, if it is to be built or bought as a pistol, the receiver will have "PISTOL" somewhere around/near the serial number. That's not saying a person can't build one as a pistol, but if you have a registered, lower receiver that you build into a pistol, then you run the risk of FBI involvement of having an improper "Registered" gun, which will give you jail time. If you make a pistol from a rifle that came from a manufacturer, serial numbered as a rifle, then you must re-register it and pay the proper taxes to Uncle Sam. ALL GUNS, be they rifle or pistol, must be registered one way or other nowadays.
Del
It doesn't matter if a lower is marked pistol or rifle you still have to be 21 according to the ATF to purchase it.

"Regardless of whether justified of not, you will feel sad about killing another human being. It is better to be sad than to be room temperature." - Joe B Fricks.

Member:
01 FFL, GOFFA, NRA, GOA, IAVA, VFW, ABATE of Iowa D15.

Old 10-05-2012, 02:23 PM   #20
Feedback Score: 1 reviews

Liked 6562 Times on 3635 Posts
Likes Given: 27929

Yes, you have to be 21 to buy a stripped lower, but you can receive one as a gift from your parents. You can also (depending on what state you live in) buy one through a private sale. Check your state laws though. Texas allows an 18 year old to buy a handgun or a stripped lower through a private sale, your state may not.