Comparing Bolt-actions
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Long Guns > General Rifle Discussion > Comparing Bolt-actions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-14-2012, 04:44 AM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 10 Times on 5 Posts
Likes Given: 3

Default Comparing Bolt-actions

Hi again,

looking into getting a larger calibre (ie not rimfire) bolt-action rifle for hunting. Now I can figure out the calibre I need, but when comparing makes and models, frankly I'm coming up a little short.

I see lots of bolt-guns from various makers and they all seems really similar. With the simplicity of the action, and typically no built-in sights, what should I look for to compare bolt-guns. I've looked at all the big brands - and like I said they all seem the same - is the bolt gun technology sorta maxed out and even across the board, or do some brands/models have a better reputation?

Hunting/target practice, would be the main use.

Anyone have advice on what to look for when comparing bolt guns?

"Government is not the solution to our problem. Government is the problem."
- Ronald Reagan

Formerly we suffered from crimes; now we suffer from laws.
- Publius Cornelius Tacitus

"We are the people that we have been waiting for."
-Unknown-

"No Compromise"
Canada's National Firearms Association

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 05-14-2012, 05:13 AM   #2
The Apocalypse Is Coming.....

Liked 21997 Times on 12402 Posts
Likes Given: 53672

smoothness of the bolt, an adjustable trigger is good too, good fit and finish and a reputation for accuracy. as long as you stay with all the major players, the choice is yours to make. all depends on how much you want to spend. whether you want more of a utilitarian type rifle or one that is made of fine walnut and blued steel.

there is Remington, Marlin, Winchester, Ruger, Savage, Howa, Weatherby, Tikka, Sako, and many more to choose from.

caliber choices, finish, either blued or stainless, wood or synthetic, ect., ect...

how much do you want to spend on the rifle and what is your intended game to hunt? these are just suggestions to help you make your choice. i have many different brands of bolt action rifles and they are the bulk of my rifle collection. i have many Remingtons, a couple of older Rugers, several Marlins and a couple of Winchesters. they have various ranges of prices paid for them too. all mine shoot very accurately and serve me well.

Old 05-15-2012, 01:47 AM   #3

Liked 41 Times on 30 Posts

For my two cents I have hunted with my father's Remington 700 BDL and I think it is a beautiful weapon. The wooden stock and blued finish on his rifle are both in good shape and they look great together. The weapon is pretty accurate and now that he threw a Leupold scope (unknown model) on it I think it is very nice. With that said, I own a stainless and synthetic Winchester model 70 (got it in a great trade...) and both he and I take my gun hunting way before his. I prefer the safety of the model 70 over that of his model 700 and the trigger on my Winny just has a much nicer feel to it than his.. Either of those weapons are good choices though. There is a lot of truth to what was said before me though, in that most of the major players got into the game by making good rifles...

Old 05-15-2012, 04:58 AM   #4

right on, thanks for the responses.

It seems that so many guns are so similar, with semi-autos with so many moving parts reliability and quality seems more distinctive, but I guess fit and finish play a good part with bolt guns. I do find it interesting that the "tactical" bolt-guns are twice the price, despite being as faras I can tell identical except that they have synthetic black, or green stocks. I guess I can understand wood, or stainless steel barrel premiums, but the tactical ones don't seem to be any different except in cosmetics. I bet they kill zombies better though!

Thanks again for the responses. If anyone has a recommendation feel free to speak up - I'd at least look at them!

- Ronald Reagan

-Unknown-

"No Compromise"

Old 05-15-2012, 05:17 AM   #5

Liked 401 Times on 284 Posts
Likes Given: 9

Would you consider a pump gun? My grand pa had one in 30-06 ( brand model unkown) and he used it for 25 years flwlessly would put the rounds in the same hole at 300 yards

Old 05-15-2012, 11:55 AM   #6
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 1262 Times on 709 Posts
Likes Given: 534

Default Put Browning on your list

I enjoy hunting with my X-bolt .308. It is light, has an adjustable trigger and a 60 degree bolt rotation.

http://search.yahoo.com/r/_ylt=A0oG7lR4NbJP7FYA7U1XNyoA;_ylu=X3oDMTE1Z3NmZXN 0BHNlYwNzcgRwb3MDMQRjb2xvA2FjMgR2dGlkA1ZJUDA5OV8yM DU-/SIG=12npdc78o/EXP=1337107960/**http%3a//www.browning.com/products/catalog/family.asp%3fwebflag_=023B

Old 05-15-2012, 12:09 PM   #7
FTF_MODERATOR.png

Liked 9553 Times on 4111 Posts
Likes Given: 1499

Food for thought- a large caliber benchrest rifle is NOT something you would want to carry all day hunting. A hunting rifle may give you decent accuracy, but is not a benchrest gun.

The major brands listed are all good rifles. For the money, Savage is making VERY good rifles. But you pays your money, takes your pick. .308 or 30-06 will give good accuracy, and is suitable for about anything walking in North America.

What we have here is... failure- to communicate.

Old 05-15-2012, 05:42 PM   #8

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts

The word tactical put on anything has made more money for sellers of firearms and stuff then the word NEW or IMPROVED ever did .

Old 05-16-2012, 04:46 AM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by KEYBEAR View Post
The word tactical put on anything has made more money for sellers of firearms and stuff then the word NEW or IMPROVED ever did .
There's some real truth to that.

To the other posters,

I would consider alternative actions, but I like the simplicity of a bolt-gun. I do know people with and have used lever and pump rifles - good guns, but not what I'm looking for at this moment.

While we're at it, I'm considering .308. It's a common, fairly affordable, and funstional round for what I plan on doing. Additionally, I am a smaller framed/lightweight guy with limited rifle experience - so I'm looking for something that I can control right away. - I havn't tried 30-06 (though I hear good things) but I have some experience with 7mm Rem Mag - I handle it okay, but I can't use it to it's potential, and I want something that I can be more confortable with.

Anyone have a recomendation on a calibre beyond .308? Keeping in mind I want LESS recoil than 7MM, and I assume 30-06, or other common large calibres.

- Ronald Reagan

-Unknown-

"No Compromise"

Old 05-16-2012, 05:11 AM   #10
The Apocalypse Is Coming.....

Liked 21997 Times on 12402 Posts
Likes Given: 53672

Quote:
Originally Posted by TrueNorth View Post
There's some real truth to that.

To the other posters,

I would consider alternative actions, but I like the simplicity of a bolt-gun. I do know people with and have used lever and pump rifles - good guns, but not what I'm looking for at this moment.

While we're at it, I'm considering .308. It's a common, fairly affordable, and funstional round for what I plan on doing. Additionally, I am a smaller framed/lightweight guy with limited rifle experience - so I'm looking for something that I can control right away. - I havn't tried 30-06 (though I hear good things) but I have some experience with 7mm Rem Mag - I handle it okay, but I can't use it to it's potential, and I want something that I can be more confortable with.

Anyone have a recomendation on a calibre beyond .308? Keeping in mind I want LESS recoil than 7MM, and I assume 30-06, or other common large calibres.
i would give heavy recommendation to the 308, because of many reasons, mild recoil for someone getting into a larger centerfire caliber, very good selection of factory ammo selection, which allows for reasonable ammo costs which will allow for more shooting, also the 308 with the proper ammo will make a good hunting rifle at decent ranges, and just about anybody who makes a bolt action rifle chambers one in 308, so you have many brands to choose from, depending on how much you are wanting to spend. several makers also will have the same action with various different barrels and stock options.

C3 is absolutely correct, in that target rifles and hunting rifles are different rifles in respect to intended use. yes you can hunt with a target rifle and you can target shoot with a hunting rifle. hunting rifles tend to have more slender barrels and are lighter in weight. target rifles tend to have heavier and langer barrels and are usually heavier to absorb more recoil for prolonged shooting. so my suggestion would be to go for one that will suit the intended use, the majority of the time.

another suggestion, once you have picked a caliber choice, go to a well stocked gun store and start looking at rifles chambered in you caliber choice. if they don't have the particular rifle in the caliber you want, i am sure it can ordered.