Colt Sauer Rifles

Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Long Guns > General Rifle Discussion > Colt Sauer Rifles

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-21-2010, 01:52 AM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 6 Times on 3 Posts
Likes Given: 4

Default Colt Sauer Rifles

Anyone have any experience/knowledge of these rifles? I knew a guy (friend of my dad's) who had a 7mm back in the day. I saw him shoot it a few times and the accuracy was incredible at about 150 yards. It was also a beautiful gun and quite expensive as I recall. (Late 70's, early 80's I think)

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 07-23-2010, 05:08 AM   #2

Liked 22 Times on 15 Posts

The Colt Sauer was a well built rifle in many respects but I have always considered it to be a perfect example of a rifle as an engineering exercise. Many of the features served only to illustrate that it could be done that way. Numerous features seemed to have been designed solely to be different. Not better and sometimes, not even as good; just different. Among these were such items as the pivoting locking "struts", the toggle trigger, and the barrel sttachment and headspacing system. Like all rear locking actions, there wwwas a certain amount of stretch inherent in the action. The separate locking struts exacerbated this. The Colt Sauer, loaded heavy, wasn't kind to brass and brass life was short compared to a front locker.
I felt the aluminum trigger had no place on an expensive rifle.
On the plus side, the action was super-smooth and feeding was superb. The detachable magazine was a quality piece. GD

Old 07-23-2010, 05:34 AM   #3

Liked 6 Times on 3 Posts
Likes Given: 4

Thanks for the reply, greydog. The action is another thing I remember about the rifle. It was incredibly smooth and almost silent.