Colt Sauer Grand Alaskan (need info)

Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Long Guns > General Rifle Discussion > Colt Sauer Grand Alaskan (need info)

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-30-2011, 06:59 AM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Default Colt Sauer Grand Alaskan (need info)

Was going through all the guns that are to nice to hunt with this week and first one out was the Colt Grand Alaskan .375. And for the first time I asked myself if it is all original. It looks great. 'Bout 98% if I'm not mistaken. Problem is that there's a muzzle break where the front sight should be. Another one of those situations where I get the gun so cheap that I don't care to notice such things. I don't see anything obvious to convince me that it's not original so either some gunsmith did a very fine job taking off that sight and and matching the finish, the barrel was cut shorter, or it was done by Colt and I just haven't seen another one. Anybody know how long the barrel is supposed to be? I don't see a gunsmith cutting off three inches but it's something I can check.

Thanks.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 12-06-2011, 08:56 PM   #2

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

That's what I thought. Not to many of these rifles around so reference is limited. I'm curious to hear what Colt has to say. Hopefully luck is in my favor.

Old 12-07-2011, 12:13 AM   #3

Liked 702 Times on 482 Posts
Likes Given: 720

They were never made w/ a muzzle brake.

Freedom is not free. The best of us always leave too soon.

Old 12-07-2011, 12:14 AM   #4

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts

Like this? Looks like Colt Royal Blue finish...pretty.

Be Well.

Old 12-08-2011, 05:46 AM   #5

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Nope. Like this.

d4ci0004.jpg  

Old 12-08-2011, 05:55 AM   #6

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Hey! First pic and I did it right. Must have been a mistake.

As you can see it does not have the royal blue finish. I guess that explains why the job looks so neat. I don't know if that was to match the break to the rest of the gun or because it needed it anyway. I'm leaning towards the opinion of jpattersnnh on this I think. Before I wasn't sure, but now that I see the difference between the finishes I'm convinced it is a gunsmiths work. But maybe I'm wrong. Doesn't hurt to hope right?