Collecting Military Sniper Rifles
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Long Guns > General Rifle Discussion > Collecting Military Sniper Rifles

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-09-2011, 07:25 PM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 806 Times on 524 Posts
Likes Given: 919

Default Collecting Military Sniper Rifles

Im sorry about my last "sniper" thread, I was unaware it was such a open question and that so many "sniper systems" were out there. I thought some of the older ones woulda been mentioned more.. Then it became a argument of what a "Sniper rifle" was...
I started it because I like to collect old mil-surps and dont really have any scoped rifles, so I thought this would be a way I could get some scoped rifles and still add to my collection (Maybe take and hunt with once in a while too!)

When I refer to a "Sniper rifle" I mean a rifle that was built by a military and issued to their Snipers, thus making it a "Sniper" rifle. I really dont care about your custom, highly tuned, and trued what-nots with scopes that see a mile away.. (Most of those put the military rifles to shame anyways..)
So, ill try again....

Im looking to start collecting military "sniper" rifles... Im mainly into the old stuff but dont want to be limited or I woulda posted in the C&R section (M40? M27?).. Im more of a collector who shoots but would like something I could take hunting if I wanted to... The only high powered scoped rifle I have so far is a WWII Russian Mosin PU "sniper"
So far I thinking about:

Russian SVD- I have a "thing" for Russian guns, The SKS was my first gun, and the Mosin was my first bolt gun... The SVD is the replacement of the Mosin right? I would prefer the SVD over the PSL, from what I understand a PSL is a variant of the AK and not the Dragunov? Do they even make a Russian PSL?

1903 "Sniper"- I like the 1903 I got not long ago, but how much better would it be with a scope?!?! From what Ive read here a scoped .30-06 is essential...

I would love a Japanese Arisaka Type 97/99 "Sniper" but from what Ive read there a nightmare if the scope doesnt match the rifle. They cant be adjusted and those who have them have to buy/sell/trade until they can find the scope fitted for the rifle they have.

I dont care for the M1 sniper variants, a "standard" IH one will do...

So what would be some ballpark prices on these? What else is out there I might like? Did all militarys have a sniper program? Military "Sniper" Rifles are expensive and a bit of a investment so, any thoughts/suggestions?

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 11-09-2011, 10:28 PM   #2
FTF_MODERATOR.png

Liked 9509 Times on 4092 Posts
Likes Given: 1492

Take a look at the sniper variants of the Lee Enfield. There were variants of the #III, the Mk IV, and ulimately the L42 in 7.62 NATO.

For a REALLY hard to find WW 2 sniper, try to find an M3 Carbine. M1 Carbine outfiited with the infrared sniperscope. You don't think of the carbine as being a sniper weapon- but if you can see in the dark, and the other guy can't.......

The Infantry Museum at Benning has a nice 1903 Springfield in the sniper mode- known as the Captain or Cook rifle- 2 per company- went to the two best shots in the company- be he the Captain, or be he the cook.

What we have here is... failure- to communicate.

Old 11-09-2011, 10:58 PM   #3

Liked 747 Times on 522 Posts
Likes Given: 789

There are still a few good buys out there.
M41b, Don't listen to the guys that complain they are not all matching. The bolt will match the receiver and the base will match the mount. That is correct. At $1200.00, they are a steal.
https://www.samcoglobal.com/1-swed-M41B.html

Next is the FPK/PSL. You can find Romanian originals for $900.00...1000.00 that have the original scope. The Scopes Never match the rifle. You will need to look. All the rifle parts should be Matching. U.S. parts guns will have no Bayonet lug, a Tapco G2 trigger group, U.S. made barrel, operating pistol........ The parts are not stamped w/ serial number.

Brit No4mkI T are hard to find. Harder with the mount and scope.
$4000.00...5000.00

K98k Low Turet, High Turret, SSR, and LSR all if original will cost between $4000.00 and 20,000.00. These would have scopes.

Be careful, there are to many forgeries when it comes to German rifles.

Freedom is not free. The best of us always leave too soon.

Old 11-10-2011, 06:54 AM   #4

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

You should look into the Italian made "Carcano" Sniper Carbine. There's still some theories that it is the rifle that killed JFK.....

"Adjust your DOPE Sergeant! No! Not the pills in your pocket, idiot! That stuff that lets you hit your target Sunshine!"

"Sua Sponte"

The object of war is not to die for your country but to make the other bastard die for his. General George Patton

Old 11-10-2011, 07:24 AM   #5
The Apocalypse Is Coming.....

Liked 21994 Times on 12402 Posts
Likes Given: 53672

if i remember correctly, even some of the M1 Garands were configured as sniper rifle also. fitted with a scope and a leather cheekpad. M1 Garand was a great rifle and helped make the 30-06 what it is today. some of the K98 Mausers were itted with scopes and used as sniper rifles, but i don't know what the difference is between the regular K98 and if the sniper version was just fitted with a scope.

Old 11-10-2011, 10:22 AM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by axxe55 View Post
if i remember correctly, even some of the M1 Garands were configured as sniper rifle also. fitted with a scope and a leather cheekpad. M1 Garand was a great rifle and helped make the 30-06 what it is today. some of the K98 Mausers were itted with scopes and used as sniper rifles, but i don't know what the difference is between the regular K98 and if the sniper version was just fitted with a scope.
M1C andD were Garand snipers. The Germans test fired every rifle for accuracy. The ones that were the most accurate, from only certain factories, became snipers. There are some that are worth more then others simply because that factory produced less, or the optics are rare. The Safety was lever was changed for a low clearance, the butt plate was checkered. The Checkered buttplate (cupped) is most likely the most counterfit part out there, although you can tell a fake easily. All German mounts are see through so iron sights can be used for short range. The Short Side Rail was an early war mount as it was found to loosen over time. The Long side rail was then adopted. The difference between a low turret and high turret is a couple of mm.
The Swedish used a similar SSR, but the retaining pin is exposed. Because the 6.5x55 does not have the recoil of the 8x57, no issues arose. M41 rifles used a mix of Swedish and German Ajack optics. When the M41b was adopted, only the German Ajack was used. The Germans were the 1st to use coated optics near the end of the war. No other country had the technology to coat their optics. All WWII scopes were cammed for the cartridge they shot. So if a target was estimated to be at 625 yards, you just set the scope at that distance. Very simple system. The reticule in the scope actually moves when adjusted and it is quite visible when looking through the scope. Most WWII scopes have no windage adjustment, that was done w/ the mount.
If you look at the Pic of a low turret, you will see a large screw on the rear mount. There is an opposing one on the other side to adjust windage.

Note the screw on the back of the Swedish SSR, same purpose.

This is a post war Swedish commercail short side rail. Note the 2 locking levers and no exposed pin. But again, it is windage adjustable.

Last edited by jpattersonnh; 11-10-2011 at 10:29 AM.

Old 11-10-2011, 04:58 PM   #7

Lots of neat ideas guys!! I never knew there were so many "sniper rifles" out there!!
I really like that M41B and for the price, it may have gone to the top of my list! how does the 6.5x55 shoot?

About the FPK/PSL, were any of these from Russia? When ever I want a "commie" gun its gotta be Russian.

Did anything besides the '03 and M1 use the 30-06?

Old 11-10-2011, 07:27 PM   #8

Liked 2605 Times on 1481 Posts
Likes Given: 2004

Enfield got a contract right before the US entered WWI and produced

the "American Enfield"- M1917- IIRC, chambered in 30.06. DNK of any sniper variants, tho,

sorry...

Last edited by therewolf; 11-12-2011 at 06:25 PM.

Old 11-10-2011, 10:02 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trez View Post
Lots of neat ideas guys!! I never knew there were so many "sniper rifles" out there!!
I really like that M41B and for the price, it may have gone to the top of my list! how does the 6.5x55 shoot?

About the FPK/PSL, were any of these from Russia? When ever I want a "commie" gun its gotta be Russian.

Did anything besides the '03 and M1 use the 30-06?
6.5x55 is an awesome caliber. A 140gr has a very high sectional density and BC. The FPK?PSL is Romanian. The Tigr, SVT & SVD are all Soviet. The Russians are not Commies ya know!

Old 11-10-2011, 10:46 PM   #10

JP, Have you bought one of the M41B snipers from sarco? I read a bunch of complaints and praise? Seems to be a luck of the draw? Many people were complaining about getting pieced together ones..