Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Long Guns > General Rifle Discussion > CMP service grade M1 Garands

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-20-2013, 01:42 AM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 57 Times on 38 Posts

Hey forum, I'm really down to my last night before I order a CMP M1 Garand. I think I'm going to take a chance and order a H&R service grade. I'd really love to see any grade pictures of your M1's before I make my final order and any input is much appreciated. I'm hoping to get a new stock model but I think that might be pretty rare. I found these three images online as to exactly what I'm looking for so if I'm in the wrong grade let me know. Semper Fi

image-2014895235.jpg   image-479846233.jpg   image-3847157334.jpg  

Last edited by BigRedUSMC; 08-20-2013 at 01:46 AM.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 08-20-2013, 01:54 AM   #2
10-32
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 2917 Times on 1718 Posts

Wrong grade.
You need to be more in atleast the $800 range.
Service grade is generally a gun you'll have no issue shooting. It is not going to be perfect or collector grade.
Whatever you buy will be worth the money. In this area outside of cmp you typically can't do better than a beat to sh!t garand for around $1000 plus.

I don't need No stinking signature.

Last edited by mountainman13; 08-20-2013 at 01:57 AM.

Old 08-20-2013, 10:32 AM   #3

They're are videos on youtube of service garands of that quality, I think they got extremely lucky. Anyone have a service garand pic to throw up of their personal one?

Old 08-20-2013, 11:23 AM   #4
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 443 Times on 319 Posts
Likes Given: 141

A friend of mine was up at Camp Perry a couple of weeks ago and told me that the M1's prices were going out of sight. Service grades were over a G and the better grades were from 1400 up. Springfield had new M1A's for not much difference in price. They had plenty of M1's available, but not at that price for me.

Old 08-20-2013, 09:52 PM   #5

Liked 15 Times on 15 Posts
Likes Given: 5

Quote:
Originally Posted by yazul42 View Post
A friend of mine was up at Camp Perry a couple of weeks ago and told me that the M1's prices were going out of sight. Service grades were over a G and the better grades were from 1400 up. Springfield had new M1A's for not much difference in price. They had plenty of M1's available, but not at that price for me.
Your friend is very confused
Service Grades are $625, same as they have been for years
The M1D Snipers start at $900 and go up to $1500
RM1HRASSP rifles are collectors all correct except for commercial stock $955
Special Grades are all rebuilt rifles by CMP, completely reparked with new stocks and new commercial barrels $995
They stores are out of $625 Service Grades and must be mail ordered

Last edited by Orlando; 08-20-2013 at 09:54 PM.

Old 08-20-2013, 10:09 PM   #6
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 443 Times on 319 Posts
Likes Given: 141

I'll check with him again tomorrow at work to get details and the business, whether they were that cost for general public or what it was through CMP.
He was up for the matches in July and he could not believe the price jump.

Old 08-20-2013, 10:14 PM   #7

Liked 15 Times on 15 Posts
Likes Given: 5

Prices are all in black and white on the CMP sales page. I to frequint the North Store
I'm sure he saw the more expensive rifles I mentioned above. During the Matches the shelves were pretty much bare
As I stated earlier $625 Service Grades must be mail ordered, there are none in the stores

Old 08-20-2013, 11:28 PM   #8
I want either less corruption or more opportunity to participate in it.
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 996 Times on 509 Posts
Likes Given: 708

Those pictures look like at least Service Grade Special - the stock and butt plate are brand new. But according to the CMP website, they may put new CMP stocks on the Service Grades now. http://www.thecmp.org/Sales/m1garand.htm

Service Grade and Service Grade Specials are both good shooters. There's endless debate about which to get. The SGSpecial should be almost a new barrel (see the specs on the website). If you're just shooting for fun, get the SG and spend the extra money on surplus Greek ammo. If you think you're going to shoot CMP matches or NRA High Power, get the SGS if you can afford it.

This site will provide most everything you need to know about a Garand http://myplace.frontier.com/~aleccorapinski/index.html

This is my HRA Service Grade Special with a barrel from 1954. Throat is 2 and muzzle is 1. Shoots better than I ever will.

I'm not dumb. I just have a command of thoroughly useless information.
- Bill Watterson, "Calvin", It's a Magical World

texaswoodworker Likes This 
Old 08-21-2013, 12:27 AM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by KJG67
Those pictures look like at least Service Grade Special - the stock and butt plate are brand new. But according to the CMP website, they may put new CMP stocks on the Service Grades now. http://www.thecmp.org/Sales/m1garand.htm

Service Grade and Service Grade Specials are both good shooters. There's endless debate about which to get. The SGSpecial should be almost a new barrel (see the specs on the website). If you're just shooting for fun, get the SG and spend the extra money on surplus Greek ammo. If you think you're going to shoot CMP matches or NRA High Power, get the SGS if you can afford it.

This site will provide most everything you need to know about a Garand http://myplace.frontier.com/~aleccorapinski/index.html

This is my HRA Service Grade Special with a barrel from 1954. Throat is 2 and muzzle is 1. Shoots better than I ever will.
I've heard SG special can shoot more new ammo and the regular SG can't. That true?

Last edited by BigRedUSMC; 08-21-2013 at 12:43 AM.

Old 08-21-2013, 01:39 AM   #10
I want either less corruption or more opportunity to participate in it.
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 996 Times on 509 Posts
Likes Given: 708

To that question I'm not the expert. But, the SGS will have less rounds through it and very likely will have the less worn throat and muzzle. So if you think along those lines, the SGS should last much longer. For general civilian shooting, I'd think you'd be hard pressed to kill an M1 barrel. If your shooting matches, you would likely notice a difference between a SG and a SGS over time. When you order from CMP, I think you can add a note asking for a maximum measurement on the throat and muzzle. It might take a little longer for them to find that one. Right now I think delivery times on SG are about 2 months.

Now by if 'new' ammo you're talking current manufactured ammo and not mil surp, that's a whole different topic. CMP sells some commercial stuff at good prices. Some off the shelves at your local store/website are made specifically for your M1. Others you may need to make some modifications to the gas cylinder due to increased pressures in the commercial loads as I understand it. But why spend that kind of money when mil surp works great!! I shoot the mil surp (good stuff), never shot commercial, but hope to start reloading over the winter to get some better accuracy for matches. For 100-200 yards, the mil surp will do you fine for local match accuracy. It can easily take you out 600 or more yards for general bad guy/target shooting.

http://www.thecmp.org/Sales/askarmorercommercialammo.htm

http://www.garandgear.com/index.php?option=com_content&view=article&id=106:s hooting-commerci

I'm not dumb. I just have a command of thoroughly useless information.
- Bill Watterson, "Calvin", It's a Magical World