Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Long Guns > General Rifle Discussion > Click then BOOM

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-12-2012, 07:43 PM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 663 Times on 353 Posts
Likes Given: 46

I've a 338 Lapua that I finally shot this weekend. Maybe it's normal (though I'm sure it's not) but I noticed wen shooting that I pull the trigger and I hear the firing pin hit before monster bang.

I reloaded my own rounds to sight it in with and it's the fist I've done for the 338 so maybe I jacked something up. Dunno. Lapua brass, 87 gr Magpro powder, federal primer, and 250 gr hornady bullet.

Any ideas or insight?

I've got a video I can post later where you can hear it but can't post it from my phone.

I hope I shall possess firmness and virtue enough to maintain what I consider the most enviable of all titles, the character of an honest man.
~George Washington

Last edited by CourtJester; 11-12-2012 at 07:46 PM.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 11-12-2012, 07:48 PM   #2
hmh

Liked 140 Times on 96 Posts

Sounds to me like your powder might be contaminated.

Old 11-12-2012, 08:26 PM   #3
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 5731 Times on 3358 Posts
Likes Given: 4877

Maybe better earplugs?

Dang! 250 grain is not small. I would like to see a bear shot with one of those, maybe a few of those.

Dead Bears, the only good kind.

Old 11-12-2012, 10:19 PM   #4
FTF_MODERATOR.png
Feedback Score: 1 reviews

Liked 2550 Times on 1338 Posts
Likes Given: 192

What you are describing is called a hang fire. Generally caused by primer issues. A primer that is not seated properly can do this. A slightly contaminated primer can do this. You did not specify the type of primer, only Federal. A Magnum primer is required to set off such a large charge of powder. If you were using the Federal 215 (Magnum primer), you may consider switching to a different brand as each make/type of primer burns a little different. Perhaps a Winchester large rifle Magnum primer will be hotter and more easily sets off the charge.

In life, strive to take the high road....It offers a better field of fire.
"Robo is right" Fuzzball

AsSeenOnTV Likes This 
Old 11-12-2012, 10:52 PM   #5

http://s63.photobucket.com/albums/h149/middletonmd/?action=view¤t=CA192EE8-63F9-4C80-9068-BBD62CB6FDD2-558-000000355AC4EBA2.mp4&evt=user_media_share

That video might work from my phone. You can hear the click just before the bang.

Thanks for the help robocop. I am using the lighter large primers. They worked great on the 308 but I'll be sure to pick up some better ones this weekend.

I hope I shall possess firmness and virtue enough to maintain what I consider the most enviable of all titles, the character of an honest man.
~George Washington

Last edited by CourtJester; 11-12-2012 at 10:56 PM.

Old 11-12-2012, 10:58 PM   #6
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 5731 Times on 3358 Posts
Likes Given: 4877

says "private album"

Dead Bears, the only good kind.

Old 11-12-2012, 11:07 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by orangello
says "private album"
:-(

~George Washington

Old 11-12-2012, 11:42 PM   #8

I think Robocop picked the issues but try this one. You can hear the click just before it goes off.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MrYklLa5X0g&feature=youtu.be

~George Washington

Old 11-12-2012, 11:59 PM   #9

Liked 127 Times on 96 Posts
Likes Given: 13

Magnum primer.

I could make a list of a bunch of guns i have, or "have", or wish I had. Why would one feel compelled to provide that infornation freely? Do you feel the need to show off? Is it some immature game of oneupsmanship?

Why do you feel it necessary to list your guns?

Old 11-13-2012, 01:18 AM   #10

Liked 762 Times on 441 Posts
Likes Given: 456

Quote:
Originally Posted by CourtJester View Post
I've a 338 Lapua that I finally shot this weekend. Maybe it's normal (though I'm sure it's not) but I noticed wen shooting that I pull the trigger and I hear the firing pin hit before monster bang.

I reloaded my own rounds to sight it in with and it's the fist I've done for the 338 so maybe I jacked something up. Dunno. Lapua brass, 87 gr Magpro powder, federal primer, and 250 gr hornady bullet.

Any ideas or insight?

I've got a video I can post later where you can hear it but can't post it from my phone.
Sounds like a hang fire. Do you keep your powder in a cool, moisture proof area. Might also be some other contamination...you should never hear the hammer drop on the primer...any delay between trigger pull and BOOM is not normal...unless you are firing a flint lock musket.

"The whole of the Bill (of Rights) is a declaration of the right of the people at large or considered as individuals.... It establishes some rights of the individual as unalienable and which consequently, no majority has a right to deprive them of." (Albert Gallatin of the New York Historical Society, October 7, 1789)

"A free people ought not only to be armed and disciplined, but they should have sufficient arms and ammunition to maintain a status of independence from any who might attempt to abuse them, which would include their own government." - George Washington