Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Long Guns > General Rifle Discussion > Cleaning tips and suggestions . . .

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-19-2011, 07:14 PM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 2447 Times on 1393 Posts
Likes Given: 1911

Default Cleaning tips and suggestions . . .

For the most part, my guns have come to me clean or NIB, which is

a condition I've strived (as I imagine most of us do) to maintain.

Generally, I start with a well-known brand of barrel cleaner solvent/lubricant, patch first.

I prefer to dip my brushes before I send them down the bore, but you have

to be careful, a crusty, dirt laden brush will contaminate your solvent bottle.

Then a patch or two, to see how clean the barrel is getting. If it's not clean yet

I send a swab in saturated with solvent. Then another saturated brush.

Then a few more patches, to check progress.

I'm not happy till I bore-sight a shiny, clear barrel.

Then I run a favorite oil (really don't want to digress to brand arguments here)

saturated on a double patch through one last time, watching carefully for

anything but a clean patch coming back.

But I came across a badly copper-fouled barrel which has had me busier on

it than all other guns combined.

I had hoped it will be helpful, to many of us, to see what our other members do to maintain

their firearms in good condition.

Last edited by therewolf; 03-19-2011 at 07:26 PM.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 03-19-2011, 07:34 PM   #2
FTF_MODERATOR.png

Liked 8638 Times on 3742 Posts
Likes Given: 1324

Usually whatever my gun bearers do at the end of the day......

OK- just kidding!

For MOST of my firearms, the traditional Hoppes #9, bore brush, and patches until clean. I DO have some revolvers that after a LOT of soft wadcutter need a session with my Lewis De-Leader.

For heavy metal fouling, lead or copper- a soak for a day in Kroil, followed by a bore brush, and patches.

The milsurp Yugo Mauser I just picked up had a dark bore- not visibly pitted, but DARK. Repeated apps of Hoppes, brushing, and patches still produced dark patches- not green, just dark. A bore mop, generous application of Flitz metal polish, (Good LORD that thing is filthy!) followed by a bore brush with Dawn dish detergent, flushing with a half gallon of hot water, then Hoppes, brush, patches- and looking MUCH better.

If not shooting corrosive primed ammo, and accuracy is good, I try not to obsess over bore cleaning. If a rifle or shotgun is being put up for a season, it gets cleaned at least twice before heading for the back of the safe, with a light coat of oil for the bore. Eventually I will get around to building an electrolytic cleaning unit (homemade Foul-Out)

<--- Your Moderators at our weekly Troll Hunt

Old 03-19-2011, 10:34 PM   #3

Yeah, I'm guessing somebody must have fired dozens, if not hundreds of

rounds through this 30.06 with no bench time. It's just taking a whole lot more than it's share to get it clean.

But, if somebody else is also having difficulties with the milsurp rifles, I guess that's a start.

Bore snakes are a new(er) item to most of us. Anybody like them/ use oil or solvent with them/ know an easy way to clean
them for re-use?

Last edited by therewolf; 03-19-2011 at 10:36 PM.

Old 03-19-2011, 11:12 PM   #4

Liked 58 Times on 35 Posts
Likes Given: 1

This thread contains some opinions about boresnakes.

http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f14/pistol-cleaning-jag-loop-cleaning-rod-39644/index2.html#post462561

Old 03-19-2011, 11:13 PM   #5
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 1174 Times on 510 Posts
Likes Given: 2978

I uses Sweet's 7.62 to clean badly fouled barrels. It does a great job, but it's still time consuming and labor intensive. (If you can call running a rod and brush down a barrel labor.) The patches will come out blue. That's the copper coming off the barrel. When it's just normal fouling coming out, I switch to Bore Gel and let it sit for fifteen minutes or so. If necessary, I'll do that however many times as necessary. Then, I finish up with Hoppe's Elite and a lightly oiled patch.

Don't forget to give the chamber a thorough cleaning.

I can think of much worse ways to spend my time than cleaning guns.

BTW, the Sweet's is harsh stuff. Don't use it any longer than you have to.

“If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains set lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that ye were our countrymen.”Samuel Adams

Last edited by CA357; 03-19-2011 at 11:17 PM.

Old 03-19-2011, 11:31 PM   #6
FTF_MODERATOR.png

Liked 5473 Times on 2860 Posts
Likes Given: 354

i recently switched from sweets to hoppes #9 benchrest copper solvent. it doesnt have that sticky feel to it and doesnt have a harsh smell. i used a bore snake clean to start with soaked in solvent run into the bore and left in for several hours after an initial few days of cleaning to get the bore of my 1903A3 clean. it was severely copper fouled when i bought it.

i tossed the snake after i got the bore clean.

i prefer cleaning rods as the can be used for more than cleaning. cant clean an AR15 chamber with a snake. or bolt lug areas. once a snake gets dirty there is no real cleaning it that ive found. i relegate em to last resort bore foul out sessions now.

"Gun control: The theory that a woman found dead in an alley, raped and strangled with her panty hose, is somehow morally superior to a woman explaining to police how her attacker got that fatal bullet wound." — L. Neil Smith

The problem with being stupid is you cannot simply decide to stop doing dumb things...

Old 03-19-2011, 11:56 PM   #7
Crazy Azz Redneck
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 1155 Times on 667 Posts
Likes Given: 556

Therewolf,Here's a little electric bore cleaner that I put together for just a few $$,and it will take care of any of your copper fouling problems.

http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f18/making-electric-bore-cleaning-kit-31091/

Old 03-21-2011, 03:31 PM   #8

Thank You all for the informative replies.

I just did a thread search, and couldn't find many bore cleaning threads,

so I thought this would be timely.

Anyone tried ammonia and water on a bad barrel? What mixture worked
best?