Cleaning Supplies for M&P sport ar-15
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Long Guns > General Rifle Discussion > Cleaning Supplies for M&P sport ar-15

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-20-2013, 03:47 PM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Default Cleaning Supplies for M&P sport ar-15

Hey, getting my first rifle. Have no idea what is needed for cleaning and lube. Please recommend some fairly affordable options.

Would you recommend a bore snake?
What kind of cleaning solution?
What kind of oil?

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 05-20-2013, 04:17 PM   #2

Liked 5 Times on 4 Posts

You're going to get as many different suggestions as there are brands of ar. PERSONALLY I prefer Otis's kits as there is a near zero chance of scratching the bore. They are pricy though. A boresnake is good for field cleaning but not adequate for detail jobs (which should be done if possible). I keep a boresnake in my grip for shtf but for everyday cleaning I use the Otis. As far as lube and solvent I like safari land CLP. Where I'm at it can be bought at Walmart. Break free is another good brand. Q-tips for the receiver and bolt carrier and pipe cleaners for the gas tube are also a must.

Old 05-20-2013, 04:19 PM   #3

Liked 5 Times on 4 Posts

CLP acts as a solvent, rust protector, and lubricant. It's an all in one. You can go separate and get hoppes no 9 for solvent and Lucas gun oil for the protectant and lube but I prefer all in ones.

Old 05-21-2013, 06:24 PM   #4
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 5930 Times on 3354 Posts
Likes Given: 5477

I like a good coated steel single piece rod, a bore guide, a prosphor bronze bore brush, Shooter's choice solvent and Rem-Oil or EEZOX for a lubricant.

Really most name brand solvents and lubes work well. I don't use heavy grease on my ARs.

Winston Churchill

Old 05-21-2013, 06:29 PM   #5

Liked 84 Times on 61 Posts

I use militec 1 with a milspec cleaning kit

Old 05-22-2013, 06:06 AM   #6

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts

Mine came with a Mil spec cleaning kit. But a good rod like a Tipton or and Otis kit will work. You can use solvent or all in one like CLP or Breakfree. Lube I and most use motor oil,

Old 05-22-2013, 06:39 AM   #7
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 1845 Times on 1264 Posts
Likes Given: 672

Until you learn the ropes a regular Outers kit and a can of CLP from Walmart will do the trick. All of the things listed above have merit and are of great use. You need to do some shopping to learn what brands are reliable and efficient. You might not have to buy anything. Someone in your family might have everything you need.

Nothing in the affairs of men is worthy of great anxiety - Plato

Old 05-26-2013, 12:26 AM   #8
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 5930 Times on 3354 Posts
Likes Given: 5477

I use Dewey single piece rods, but Tipton, Otis, Bore-teck and a few others are all excellent.

But I avoid jointed rods and aluminum rods like the plague.

Jointed steel rods are okay for rare use in the field.

www.brownells.com

www.sinclairintl.com

have excellent selections of cleaning supplies and equipment

Winston Churchill