Cleaning my howa - Page 3
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Long Guns > General Rifle Discussion > Cleaning my howa

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-28-2011, 06:20 PM   #21
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlueTurf

Exactly. I have a question about using bore snakes. Is is common practice to clean the bore snakes after each use? What happens to the fouling that comes into contact with it while cleaning guns? Is grit and fouling becoming imbedded into the bore snake material, where it will come in contact with the bore of the rifle it is used with next? I clean my tools every time I use them. This includes the rod, jags, bore guides, brushes, etc. While we are talking about cleaning and, I have never seen anything remove copper fouling as well as the foaming bore cleaner called Wipe Out. This stuff works better than anything I have ever tried.
As far as cleaning the bore snake, hoppe's has a how to vid online that says to clean the BS all you have to do is put it in the washer. My question for you is what do you use to clean your brushes and other cleaning tools. When i first got my rifle i bought a used hard case from a customer at the store and it had a cleajing kit already in it. It was for my caliber, but i didnt realize how dirty the brush was until i ordered new ones from hoppe's. How do u recommend i keep those clean? ( sorry for all the Q's guys, i'm just getting into the shooting and collecting of firearms and i'm trying to do everything right)

Old 11-28-2011, 07:03 PM   #22

Liked 44 Times on 30 Posts
Likes Given: 22

Quote:
Originally Posted by humboldtshooter View Post
As far as cleaning the bore snake, hoppe's has a how to vid online that says to clean the BS all you have to do is put it in the washer. My question for you is what do you use to clean your brushes and other cleaning tools. When i first got my rifle i bought a used hard case from a customer at the store and it had a cleajing kit already in it. It was for my caliber, but i didnt realize how dirty the brush was until i ordered new ones from hoppe's. How do u recommend i keep those clean? ( sorry for all the Q's guys, i'm just getting into the shooting and collecting of firearms and i'm trying to do everything right)
Okay, that makes sense, putting the bore snake in the washer. I clean my cleaning tools with an aerosol solvent called Powder Blast. There are other brands of aerosol solvents that work great also. Brake Kleen even works good. After using my tools I spray them with the Powder Blast to remove the used solvents, oils, fouling, grit, etc. It works great for this purpose and it leaves no film or residue. It also neutralizes the copper solvent on the brush to prevent damage. Copper or bronze brushes put away with copper solvent on them don't last very long. After doing this I wipe them off with a dry, clean soft cloth and they are good to go for the next cleaning operation. It feels good to know my guns are nice and clean and I shouldn't have any problems with them when I shoot them next time.

Old 11-28-2011, 07:15 PM   #23

Quote:

Okay, that makes sense, putting the bore snake in the washer. I clean my cleaning tools with an aerosol solvent called Powder Blast. There are other brands of aerosol solvents that work great also. Brake Kleen even works good. After using my tools I spray them with the Powder Blast to remove the used solvents, oils, fouling, grit, etc. It works great for this purpose and it leaves no film or residue. It also neutralizes the copper solvent on the brush to prevent damage. Copper or bronze brushes put away with copper solvent on them don't last very long. After doing this I wipe them off with a dry, clean soft cloth and they are good to go for the next cleaning operation. It feels good to know my guns are nice and clean and I shouldn't have any problems with them when I shoot them next time.
I will definitely try this the next time i'm at the range. I've tried other ways to clean the tools, but wasn't sure what i could get away with doing. I appreciate your help. Thanks

Old 11-28-2011, 09:20 PM   #24

I know a few people who bought really nice expensive rifles but didn't take good care of them. They would go out and shoot 100 or more rounds through them and then just put them away with no cleaning. One guy had a Rem 700 BDL in .243 with a bull barrel. The bolt on his rifle was so dirty and fouled that it was difficult to open and close. I hate to imagine what the bore looked like. He wasn't wealthy and able to buy whatever rifle he wanted. How can people be like this with their guns? Well, I don't know if this was a factor but this guy never served in the military and had to depend on a rifle for survival.

Old 11-29-2011, 04:36 AM   #25

Liked 121 Times on 86 Posts

Quote:

Exactly. I have a question about using bore snakes. Is is common practice to clean the bore snakes after each use? What happens to the fouling that comes into contact with it while cleaning guns? Is grit and fouling becoming imbedded into the bore snake material, where it will come in contact with the bore of the rifle it is used with next? I clean my tools every time I use them. This includes the rod, jags, bore guides, brushes, etc. While we are talking about cleaning and, I have never seen anything remove copper fouling as well as the foaming bore cleaner called Wipe Out. This stuff works better than anything I have ever tried.
Yes u can wash the bore snakes after use. For copper have u tried the sweets 7.62 copper remover works awesome

Old 11-30-2011, 01:43 AM   #26

Yep, I have tried Sweets 7.62 solvent and it works real good. It is a very good copper remover. Like the other strong copper solvents, I recommend using it in a well-ventilated area.

Old 11-30-2011, 06:01 AM   #27

Quote:
Yep, I have tried Sweets 7.62 solvent and it works real good. It is a very good copper remover. Like the other strong copper solvents, I recommend using it in a well-ventilated area.
I'm assuming that the 7.62 isn't refering to caliber!?

Old 11-30-2011, 09:35 AM   #28
The Apocalypse Is Coming.....

Liked 21994 Times on 12402 Posts
Likes Given: 53672

Quote:
Originally Posted by humboldtshooter View Post
I'm assuming that the 7.62 isn't refering to caliber!?
7.62 is part of the name of the cleaner, Sweet's 7.62 Bore Cleaner, one of the better copper fouling cleaners available. work's great. stinks bad!

Old 11-30-2011, 06:20 PM   #29

I'm always looking for good stuff, next time I stop into the local gun store ill grab some.

Old 12-03-2011, 11:37 PM   #30

So I got the bore snake a couple days ago and went and shot today so i figured it'd be a great time to use it. I'm not sure what ai think of it yet. I believe it helped in the process but definitely wasn't the reason for the bore getting clean by far. It helps, but the regular rifle cleaning kit takes the cake. Thanks for all the help tho guys, i appreciate it