Cleaning my howa - Page 2
You are Unregistered, please register to use all of the features of FirearmsTalk.com!    
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Long Guns > General Rifle Discussion > Cleaning my howa

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-28-2011, 07:03 AM   #11
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 121 Times on 86 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by NotMormon
I finally broke down and bought a bore-snake. Two passes through the barrel and boy does it shine.
After u clean with the bore snake, clean with a brush an patch see how well it really works, just might make u toss it, I sure did

Old 11-28-2011, 07:12 AM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by Muliemaster

After u clean with the bore snake, clean with a brush an patch see how well it really works, just might make u toss it, I sure did
Bore snake not your favorite? I'm in the checkout at CTD.com, whats your take on it?

Old 11-28-2011, 07:21 AM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by humboldtshooter

Bore snake not your favorite? I'm in the checkout at CTD.com, whats your take on it?
This is my thought on it an only mine. I think the bore snake is good for hunt camp when u have wind an rain ect. It will keep that crud out but for cleanin an I do mean a real good cleaning it dosent cut the grade with me. I used one after a day on the range, then after makin the passes with it, I then ran a patch through with sweets 7.62 it was filthy had to re clean old school. So with that I wouldnt use it for real cleaning but for quick run through at camp its good

Old 11-28-2011, 07:26 AM   #14

Quote:

This is my thought on it an only mine. I think the bore snake is good for hunt camp when u have wind an rain ect. It will keep that crud out but for cleanin an I do mean a real good cleaning it dosent cut the grade with me. I used one after a day on the range, then after makin the passes with it, I then ran a patch through with sweets 7.62 it was filthy had to re clean old school. So with that I wouldnt use it for real cleaning but for quick run through at camp its good
Well thank you for the info. It looks like I have a little soul searching to do. I just want the knowledge and tools to take care of my firearms the proper way. Thanks for the help guys

Old 11-28-2011, 07:33 AM   #15

Quote:

Well thank you for the info. It looks like I have a little soul searching to do. I just want the knowledge and tools to take care of my firearms the proper way. Thanks for the help guys
Dont get me wrong it has its place, but I will not clean yer guns the way a good ol brush an patch will. It is very good idea to pack one with you on huntin trips. Just incase u get some mud an crud in the barrel, sometimes u just have a slip an down goes the barrel into the crud an mud, thats where the bore snakes shines, no smelly cleaners or a big ol box to pack around just the snake. I keep mine in a ziplock bag in my pack for the oh **** times

Old 11-28-2011, 07:42 AM   #16

Quote:

Dont get me wrong it has its place, but I will not clean yer guns the way a good ol brush an patch will. It is very good idea to pack one with you on huntin trips. Just incase u get some mud an crud in the barrel, sometimes u just have a slip an down goes the barrel into the crud an mud, thats where the bore snakes shines, no smelly cleaners or a big ol box to pack around just the snake. I keep mine in a ziplock bag in my pack for the oh **** times
It's definitely a good idea. I went ahead and ordered the thing anyway. I'm sure it'll come in handy for those extended stays in the wilderness. I appreciate your help

Old 11-28-2011, 07:48 AM   #17

Quote:

It's definitely a good idea. I went ahead and ordered the thing anyway. I'm sure it'll come in handy for those extended stays in the wilderness. I appreciate your help
Any time glad to help. Try it for yerself tho clean with it, then grab the brush an patches, see what u think.

Old 11-28-2011, 01:14 PM   #18

Liked 44 Times on 30 Posts
Likes Given: 22

Mant times I have had a fellow shooter tell me the bore of their rifle or handgun was clean when in fact it was far from it. You could look down the bore with a light and it would look shiny, that is until I ran a patch down it coated with a good solvent. They were quite surprised when the patch came out black and blue with debris all over it. Anyone who takes the time to carefully and patiently clean their guns knows whether a bore is really clean or not. A gun is a tool. It will perform as well as you take care of it. I have heard a lot about bore snakes but I choose not to use one. I am staying with a good one-piece rod, patch jags, bore guides, round patches, etc.

Old 11-28-2011, 01:31 PM   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlueTurf
Mant times I have had a fellow shooter tell me the bore of their rifle or handgun was clean when in fact it was far from it. You could look down the bore with a light and it would look shiny, that is until I ran a patch down it coated with a good solvent. They were quite surprised when the patch came out black and blue with debris all over it. Anyone who takes the time to carefully and patiently clean their guns knows whether a bore is really clean or not. A gun is a tool. It will perform as well as you take care of it. I have heard a lot about bore snakes but I choose not to use one. I am staying with a good one-piece rod, patch jags, bore guides, round patches, etc.
That was my point to the op clean with a bore snake then re clean with brush an patch, bet u dont keep the bore snake for proper cleaning

Old 11-28-2011, 05:36 PM   #20

Liked 44 Times on 30 Posts
Likes Given: 22

Quote:
Originally Posted by Muliemaster View Post
That was my point to the op clean with a bore snake then re clean with brush an patch, bet u dont keep the bore snake for proper cleaning
Exactly. I have a question about using bore snakes. Is is common practice to clean the bore snakes after each use? What happens to the fouling that comes into contact with it while cleaning guns? Is grit and fouling becoming imbedded into the bore snake material, where it will come in contact with the bore of the rifle it is used with next? I clean my tools every time I use them. This includes the rod, jags, bore guides, brushes, etc. While we are talking about cleaning, I have never seen anything remove copper fouling as well as the foaming bore cleaner called Wipe Out. This stuff works better than anything I have ever tried.

Last edited by BlueTurf; 11-30-2011 at 01:45 AM.