Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com

Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/)
-   General Rifle Discussion (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f18/)
-   -   Cleaning my howa (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f18/cleaning-my-howa-52625/)

humboldtshooter 11-28-2011 04:20 AM

Cleaning my howa

Neone have tips or products they use and have good reviews for? Seems like it takes forever to stop the black residue from comin out. Also, I have the hoppe's swab(I think cotton) anyone have recommendations on getting those clean? Wash machine? Sink? Something? Theyre cheap so I'll buy more.

Axxe55 11-28-2011 04:23 AM

i use the cotton bore swabs to oil the bore after cleaning. i use patches to clean the bore until clean, the oil the bore.

humboldtshooter 11-28-2011 04:35 AM

I used the patches originally but found i can get it cleaner faster with the swabs. If not i use about 20 patches before the bore looks any better. Have you ever had to get ur bore swab clean or just buy nee ones? Or maybe you have a better technique then I do

NotMormon 11-28-2011 04:55 AM

I finally broke down and bought a bore-snake. Two passes through the barrel and boy does it shine.

humboldtshooter 11-28-2011 05:05 AM

You know, ive been looking at the bore snake viper on CTD.com and ive been tempted to buy it. Maybe ill just do that instead of having to purchase all kinds of swabs. I watched a youtube video of the boresnake and the vid said to clean the BS throw it into the washer. Seems easy enough to me

willfully armed 11-28-2011 05:06 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by NotMormon (Post 637877)
I finally broke down and bought a bore-snake. Two passes through the barrel and boy does it shine.

a shiny bore means little in the terms of cleanliness.

A clean patch means a clean barrel.

The_Kid 11-28-2011 05:06 AM

I use Liquid Wrench to clean powder fouling and sweets 7.62 for copper fouling.

I'll apply Liquid Wrench liberally on a bronze brush, then run it through 10 times adding more oil every 4 strokes. Run a dry patch through.

Then I'll apply the copper solvent liberally on a nylon brush, run it through 5 times applying solvent to the brush each time. Run a dry patch after it sets 5 minutes.

I'll repeat the penetrating oil procedure until the patch is clean. It usually only takes 3 or so episodes of penetrating oil total.

Then I'll apply motor oil as a rust preventative.

I make my own patches from t-shirts.

humboldtshooter 11-28-2011 05:11 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by willfully armed

Very true. My bore will look great until I run a patch through.

NotMormon 11-28-2011 05:14 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by willfully armed (Post 637881)

You are absolutely correct! My rifles get really good brush and swab after about 150 rounds. Not nearly as time consuming if I've been using the snake every 30 or so. It's more of a stop/gap but it really helps with the copper.

humboldtshooter 11-28-2011 05:35 AM

I'm actually ordering the boresnake right now, so thanks for the info guys. My next question is about my stock. My howa came with a hogue stock and the rubber seems to pick up absolutely everything. Anyone with the same problem?