Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com

Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/)
-   General Rifle Discussion (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f18/)
-   -   Choosing the right rifle (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f18/choosing-right-rifle-23490/)

skyhawk 02-16-2010 05:22 PM

Choosing the right rifle

Alright so I've been looking at a few rifles for some time and want some feedback. I intend to use them for target practice at longer ranges such as 600-1000 yards…but maybe some hunting later. Trying to keep price around $1500.

The rifles are Armalite AR-30 .300 WINCHESTER, Armalite Ar-10 10TBNF, Springfield Armory M1A, and Steyr Pro Hunter(chambered in .300Win)

I kind of like the Steyr although they are not super popular and am wondering how the accuracy would compare to the Armalite Ar-30
With the M1A and the Ar-10 I think there will be grater accuracy with the Ar, although I wonder about reliability.

Could you also give your opinion on which would be the best for three different categories. Most accurate at 800yard, Best value for money, and your top pick.
Thanks

Wambli 02-17-2010 01:00 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by skyhawk (Post 231382)
Alright so I've been looking at a few rifles for some time and want some feedback. I intend to use them for target practice at longer ranges such as 600-1000 yards…but maybe some hunting later. Trying to keep price around $1500.

The rifles are Armalite AR-30 .300 WINCHESTER, Armalite Ar-10 10TBNF, Springfield Armory M1A, and Steyr Pro Hunter(chambered in .300Win)

I kind of like the Steyr although they are not super popular and am wondering how the accuracy would compare to the Armalite Ar-30
With the M1A and the Ar-10 I think there will be grater accuracy with the Ar, although I wonder about reliability.

Could you also give your opinion on which would be the best for three different categories. Most accurate at 800yard, Best value for money, and your top pick.
Thanks

WOW where to begin... Not trying to be harsh but first of, for a rifle that'll work as a true target gun in the 600-1,000 yard range you are looking to spend that kind of money on the scope alone. Then you will need extensive instruction on how to use that scope/rifle to actually hit anything at those distances taking into consideration, distance, wind, ballistics, temperature, altitude, wind speed and direction etc..

The Steyr Pro Hunter is an OUTSTANDING firearm. The one I own will put 3 .308 rounds into .5" group at 100 yards all day long but it is NOT a target gun. It is though a GREAT hunting gun.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v4...i/DSC03948.jpg

.300 Win Mag is a great caliber but if you don't reload match ammo will run you a LOT of money. The recoil in a rilfe like the pro hunter in that caliber will also make it rather punishing to do enough shooting to get proficient with it unless you really know what you are doing.

The AR or M1A in .308 are great guns and very reliable, but very few of them without extensive/expensive work will be 1,000 yard guns. An M1A will be effective to about 500 yards with the proper optics and someone that knows what they are doing can squeeze a few more yards than that but in general semi-autos are less accurate than bolt rifles and more difficultt to shoot accurately.

Do yourself a favor and get a decent heavy barrel Remington, Howa or Savage in .223 or .308 with a good target scope on it and spend some money learning how to shoot it at reasonable ranges. Once you have 100-300 yards down then if you really want to get into the long distance game you can then make a decision on how to spend what will amount to a substancial amount of money wisely.

skyhawk 02-17-2010 04:53 AM

Hunting Rifle vs Target Rifle

After learning that the Steyr Pro Hunter has 1/2 MOA at 100 yards I am wondering what would be different with a target rifle. I know the rifle's name is pro hunter, but what sets it apart from other target rifles?

Sounds like a great rifle though.

Wambli 02-17-2010 04:59 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by skyhawk (Post 231775)
After learning that the Steyr Pro Hunter has 1/2 MOA at 100 yards I am wondering what would be different with a target rifle. I know the rifle's name is pro hunter, but what sets it apart from other target rifles?

Sounds like a great rifle though.

It IS a great rifle. Just not what a dedicated long range rig should be. Among other things it is too light and the barrel heats up too quickly. It is a sub MOA rifle with ammo it likes. You saw the picture of my Steyr. Here is a picture of my new long range rifle:
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v4...cRemington.jpg

I think the differnces are self apparent. This rifle is sub MOA with just about anything I put through the barrel and a one hole gun with ammo it likes. It's not that you can't shoot at long distance targets successfuly with a hunting rifle. Carlos Hathcock was putting down folks in Vietnam at some amazing distances with a standard Winchester Model 70 with a 10x Unertl scope IIRC. You won't see any Marine Snipers or F1 competitors with that setup today though.

Rifles are like Golf clubs. You can use a driver to putt but it won't be the best tool for the job.

big shrek 02-19-2010 08:18 AM

I prefer a .45-70 for long distance...although at 600 yards the trajectory looks somewhat akin to a mortar shot ;)

jpattersonnh 02-19-2010 11:12 AM

Asking someone elses opinion will likely get all sorts of answers. 1st off, why a semi? Is the $1500.00 including glass? 1000 yards is way out there. You will need more than a rifle, and good glass is not the end either.