Choosing an M1A style rifle - Page 4
You are Unregistered, please register to use all of the features of FirearmsTalk.com!    
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Long Guns > General Rifle Discussion > Choosing an M1A style rifle

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-23-2011, 05:43 AM   #31
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 33 Times on 23 Posts
Likes Given: 47

Quote:
Originally Posted by JonM View Post
Ive got a basset. Ive got to torque it way beyound their specs or it shoots itself loose in a few shots. I gave up trying to scope my m1a
You are the first one I've heard of with a problem like that.

SAF-Life
PEIAPOI

"Obama has ordered the launching of more Tomahawk cruise missiles than All the other Nobel Peace Prize winners combined."

Old 08-23-2011, 05:46 AM   #32

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruzai View Post
I can kind of see why M14s eat scopes. The mounting length on the scope mounts are so short, all the pressure and force from recoil is concentrated near the turrets of the scopes. Of course, that's just my theory. So with a 56mm total diameter occular bell on a scope would anyone know which of the BM scope mounts to get? The normal height or would the low work?
The low would be fine.

M14s eat scopes due to the forward recoil impulse. Quality of the scope does not matter if they are side focus. Front or rear focus scopes hold up very well.

SAF-Life
PEIAPOI

"Obama has ordered the launching of more Tomahawk cruise missiles than All the other Nobel Peace Prize winners combined."

Old 08-23-2011, 05:50 AM   #33
FTF_MODERATOR.png

Liked 6345 Times on 3363 Posts
Likes Given: 469

Quote:
Originally Posted by M14sRock View Post
You are the first one I've heard of with a problem like that.
If someone is gonna have a problem with a piece of gear its me. If a company has a new fangled rugged piece of gearthey should give me one to test. If it doesnt break in a month of me using its one rugged piece of gear....

I mean im the only one ive heard of breaking a leupold cqb mk4 thru normal use or breaking a gsg 1911 22 frame. My first remington 700 was a pss with bell carlson stock, broke the stock... aluminum bedding block split using factory ammo. Didnt reload back then.

Its why i use iron sights they dont seem to break. Im kinda scared to buy a nightforce scope i might break it

"Gun control: The theory that a woman found dead in an alley, raped and strangled with her panty hose, is somehow morally superior to a woman explaining to police how her attacker got that fatal bullet wound." — L. Neil Smith

The problem with being stupid is you cannot simply decide to stop doing dumb things...

"I crapped my pants to avoid the draft!!" -Ted Nugent

Last edited by JonM; 08-23-2011 at 05:56 AM.

Old 08-23-2011, 06:00 AM   #34

Quote:
Originally Posted by JonM View Post
If someone is gonna have a problem with a piece of gear its me. If a company has a new fangled rugged piece of gearthey should give me one to test. If it doesnt break in a month of me using its one rugged piece of gear....

I mean im the only one ive heard of breaking a leupold cqb mk4 thru normal use or breaking a gsg 1911 22 frame. My first remington 700 was a pss with bell carlson stock, broke the stock...

Its why i use iron sights they dont seem to break. Im kinda scared to buy a nightforce scope i might break it
Your PSS would have come with an H-S Precision stock most likely. They were famous for splitting on the PSS.

If your receiver is that out of spec, get the Sadlak mount and have Mike Sadlak fit it for you. He will machine it based on your measurements, and it will be perfect.

NightForce scopes don't have the best glass, but their mechanicals are top tier. But the guys at the Nightforce booth at SHOT admit that M14s eat their scopes, too, eventually.

SAF-Life
PEIAPOI