Choosing an M1A style rifle - Page 3
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Long Guns > General Rifle Discussion > Choosing an M1A style rifle

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-21-2011, 01:48 AM   #21
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Dont get me wrong, I like the Socoms, but I'm just not in the market for a black or synthetic gun at the moment. Knowing me that'll be after my Remington 700 build I like the feel of the wood on the M1A and maybe even put a couple custom touches on it. That's a big maybe though.

I'm already surrounded by half-dead brainless people already, the zombie apocalypse would just give me a reason to be productive and get rid of them.

Old 08-21-2011, 01:49 AM   #22

Liked 33 Times on 23 Posts
Likes Given: 45

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruzai View Post
Dont get me wrong, I like the Socoms, but I'm just not in the market for a black or synthetic gun at the moment. Knowing me that'll be after my Remington 700 build I like the feel of the wood on the M1A and maybe even put a couple custom touches on it. That's a big maybe though.
Well, you can stick a Socom in a wood stock.

SAF-Life
PEIAPOI

"Obama has ordered the launching of more Tomahawk cruise missiles than All the other Nobel Peace Prize winners combined."

Old 08-21-2011, 02:32 AM   #23

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by M14sRock View Post
Well, you can stick a Socom in a wood stock.
I know, but if I had the choice I'd rather bed the stock of the Scout rather than pay extra for a second stock for the Socom. I'll looking REAL carefully at the National Match. I wish I could find one to put my hands on so I could compare it to the Scout and Super Match.

By the way, thanks for all the info. It's making my choices so much more clear than if I were doing it on my own.

I'm already surrounded by half-dead brainless people already, the zombie apocalypse would just give me a reason to be productive and get rid of them.

Old 08-21-2011, 02:35 AM   #24

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruzai View Post
I know, but if I had the choice I'd rather bed the stock of the Scout rather than pay extra for a second stock for the Socom. I'll looking REAL carefully at the National Match. I wish I could find one to put my hands on so I could compare it to the Scout and Super Match.

By the way, thanks for all the info. It's making my choices so much more clear than if I were doing it on my own.
You can sell a synthetic stock for almost as much as you can get a good Boyd's walnut.

SAF-Life
PEIAPOI

"Obama has ordered the launching of more Tomahawk cruise missiles than All the other Nobel Peace Prize winners combined."

Old 08-22-2011, 09:12 AM   #25

I bought a service grade M1A in 94 also had to sell it in 03 needed the money bad took in the shorts money wise. I want another along with another Colt H-Bar and a tricked out Government model. And some other toys.
I loved my M1A wished I could have kept her.
Joe-R

Fast is fine but accuracy is final. You must learn to be slow in a hurry!
Wyatt Earp

Old 08-22-2011, 11:15 PM   #26

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Ok...problem guys. Remember that condition I mentioned? Yeah its not just one rifle...its anything match grade. So the Super Match and National Match I'm pretty sure I'm SOL. I'm gonna double check, just in case someone is spouting rumors.
The grey area is the match barrels, like on the Loaded with the Stainless Steel barrel. So I've had to step down to that one, and I may have to step down to a carbon steel barrel. Not that I'm complaining, it just kinda sucks that the condition wasnt made clear ahead of time.
If worse come to worse, I'll get the Scout Squad and do all the upgrades myself.

Old 08-22-2011, 11:35 PM   #27
Supporting Member
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 2597 Times on 1268 Posts
Likes Given: 1299

Ruzai,

I still think your best bet is the Springfield National Match with the Standard National Match Barrel. It will shoot up to 1000 yards. You can't get much better accuracy than that! Also when you get some more $$$ together I got my Scope Mount from Fulton Armory. You can call and ask for Clint if you have any questions regarding the mount. On mine, all I needed to do is remove my stripper clip guide since the mount uses that area also for rigidity. It is not any task at all, so do not worry about that! It is in the instructions and takes all of a minute to remove it. But the mount is Rock Solid and that is what you want! I had tried another mount prior and wasted my money. Got what I paid for "Not Much" since I replaced it with the good one. It is one shooting rifle and by the way they are also Glass Bedded from the factory. You will not go wrong with the Springfield NM rifle. And the way I look at it anything worth having is worth waiting for! Impatience will result in an unhappy shooter and usually turns around costing us much more in the end, since we usually sell what we are not satisfied with and end up buying what we wanted in the first place! *True or False? Let us know when you get your new rifle and also some range reports. 400 Yards will be a piece of cake!

Old 08-23-2011, 02:52 AM   #28

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sniper03 View Post
Ruzai,

I still think your best bet is the Springfield National Match with the Standard National Match Barrel. It will shoot up to 1000 yards. You can't get much better accuracy than that! Also when you get some more $$$ together I got my Scope Mount from Fulton Armory. You can call and ask for Clint if you have any questions regarding the mount. On mine, all I needed to do is remove my stripper clip guide since the mount uses that area also for rigidity. It is not any task at all, so do not worry about that! It is in the instructions and takes all of a minute to remove it. But the mount is Rock Solid and that is what you want! I had tried another mount prior and wasted my money. Got what I paid for "Not Much" since I replaced it with the good one. It is one shooting rifle and by the way they are also Glass Bedded from the factory. You will not go wrong with the Springfield NM rifle. And the way I look at it anything worth having is worth waiting for! Impatience will result in an unhappy shooter and usually turns around costing us much more in the end, since we usually sell what we are not satisfied with and end up buying what we wanted in the first place! *True or False? Let us know when you get your new rifle and also some range reports. 400 Yards will be a piece of cake!

The problem with mounting scopes on commercial M14s, especially SAI M1As, is the receivers being out of spec. Some mounts work, and some don't, without fitting.

The Fulton/Sadlak/Smith Enterprise/Brookfield mounts are excellent, but if your receiver is out of spec, they need custom fitting. Same for the ARMS/GDI and all of the decent mounts on the market. The Bassett Machine is the only one that works on out of spec receivers almost 100% of the time. It is also the cheapest.

SAF-Life
PEIAPOI

Old 08-23-2011, 04:13 AM   #29

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

I can kind of see why M14s eat scopes. The mounting length on the scope mounts are so short, all the pressure and force from recoil is concentrated near the turrets of the scopes. Of course, that's just my theory. So with a 56mm total diameter occular bell on a scope would anyone know which of the BM scope mounts to get? The normal height or would the low work?

Old 08-23-2011, 04:25 AM   #30
FTF_MODERATOR.png

Liked 5795 Times on 3026 Posts
Likes Given: 394

Quote:
Originally Posted by M14sRock View Post
The problem with mounting scopes on commercial M14s, especially SAI M1As, is the receivers being out of spec. Some mounts work, and some don't, without fitting.

The Fulton/Sadlak/Smith Enterprise/Brookfield mounts are excellent, but if your receiver is out of spec, they need custom fitting. Same for the ARMS/GDI and all of the decent mounts on the market. The Bassett Machine is the only one that works on out of spec receivers almost 100% of the time. It is also the cheapest.
Ive got a basset. Ive got to torque it way beyound their specs or it shoots itself loose in a few shots. I gave up trying to scope my m1a

"Gun control: The theory that a woman found dead in an alley, raped and strangled with her panty hose, is somehow morally superior to a woman explaining to police how her attacker got that fatal bullet wound." — L. Neil Smith

The problem with being stupid is you cannot simply decide to stop doing dumb things...