Choosing an M1A style rifle - Page 2
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Long Guns > General Rifle Discussion > Choosing an M1A style rifle

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-19-2011, 09:09 PM   #11
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 46 Times on 28 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruzai View Post
I have a rare chance to buy a M1A style rifle at a good price and get to have it soon. The conditions are it has to be from Springfield Armory. There is one in-particular M1A style rifle that they sell that I cant buy for the good price but dont know what iit is (at the moment), but if that happens I'll just go with the better model just under that one and I cant have anything from the custom shop. (I'd be doing any custom work myself anyhow).

I want to know some of you guy's experiences with the M1A style rifles to help me decide. Should I get the Stainless Steel option for the barrel? Do the fiberglass stocks feel flimsy and a bit plasticy as some people keep saying? What kind of accuracy can I expect out of different models realisticly?

I'll be using this gun for a target gun and a fun-factor gun as well as a replacement for my FAL (I wanted something that's a bit more of an American Classic battle rifle). I wont be lugging the gun around in the woods since I dont want to mess up a good stock and a the potiential custom work on the stock I have planned.

I'm eyeballing the SuperMatch M1A and the M21 Tactical, any gripes, complaints, comments on any of the M1A rifles would be much appreciated.
My M1A is a SA Loaded model and you get a lot of gun for the money. With Winchester White Box ammo I have no problems busting 20oz water bottles with iron sights at 100 yards. The rifle is so accurate and easy to shoot I'm contemplating putting a Leupold Mark 4 Scope on it.

Old 08-19-2011, 09:17 PM   #12

Liked 311 Times on 207 Posts
Likes Given: 27

Quote:
The factory website says both the Super Match and the M-21 have a 1:10 twist. I like the heavy weight bullets out of whatever I shoot, so I'm pretty sure I'm gonna need that 1:10 twist. I dont think I NEED the Krieger Barrel on it but I wouldnt mind having it. I really like the adjustable stock on the M-21 while still having that traditional rifle stock feel.

mrm14 you might want to try some Outers Foul-Out to see if it'll close up the grouping some. I can imagine with that much copper and lead you're bound to have some build up, even with regular cleanings. I know a couple guys that shoot regularly and they swear by the stuff for keeping their barrels near factory clean.

I'll have to send M14sRock a PM and ask him about the specs and all that good stuff. I'm in the middle of that "hurry up and wait" stage of getting the proper identification for the rifle. I moved to Denver this last month and I need a Colorado ID card to buy the gun with the good deal, still waiting on a copy of my birth certficate to get here so I can go get one.
I knew it was a tighter twist then a standard model and 1 in 10 is good.

As for my M1A the barrel is squeaky clean. I've used 7.62 Sweets and lately have used Sharp Shoot R Precision Products "Wipe Out' and "Carb Out". I've always scrubbed the hell out of the barrel as well when I clean. Also I've had the entire barreled action in a sonic cleaner. The bore scope tells the story (erosion). It is truely shot out with near 40,000 rounds sent down the pipe already. I have the Loaded model with the "air finished" barrel not the chrome lined barrel. I'm still amazed, however, that it still lays out grouping in the 1-3/4" range @ 100 yards. If it wasn't worn out I'd leave it with factory barrel but as long as I'm going to replace it, whenever that may be, I'll replace it with a Krieger. In the mean time it shoots good enough for what it is.

Old 08-19-2011, 10:38 PM   #13

Liked 32 Times on 23 Posts
Likes Given: 45

For a general use rifle, I don't think there is a better value on the market than the Loaded Model M1A. It has NM upgrades you want, and does not have some you don't need unless you are competing.

The SS barrel may still be a Wilson BBl, and they are excellent. SAI has reportedly gone to a new BBl supplier, but no matter. The Loaded is always a shooter.

The new synthetic stocks are not as stiff as the USGI synthetics they used to use, so if you plan to shoot with a sling get the walnut. For field use the synthetic is great.

I sold my carbon Loaded to a friend last year because the receiver was out of spec (for scope mounts), but it was a solid sub-MOA shooter with Federal 150gr SP and iron sights. Nothing fancy needed.

The Loaded does not come with a bedded stock, but bedding is fairly simple. It has the NM trigger and the NM sights (Non-Hooded).

With proper tension on the front band, and the stock bedded, you should easily see sub-MOA for 5 shot groups.

The NM is essentially the same as the Loaded, but the stock IS bedded and it has the hooded rear aperature sight (NM).

The Loaded and the NM have medium weight barrels.

The Super Match has a heavy premium barrel. Typically Krieger, but Douglas, Hart, Barnett, etc have been used. It also has either a heavy walnut, or heavy McMillan synthetic stock. Uber stiff.

You've already received great info from the previous replies, but let me know if you have any specific questions I may not have addressed.

If you want to scope it, go with either the Sadlak Mount, or the Bassett Machine. The Sadlak can be fitted to an out of spec receiver (Very common) and the Bassett Machine works on all of them, even if out of spec. It is like magic.

SAF-Life
PEIAPOI

"Obama has ordered the launching of more Tomahawk cruise missiles than All the other Nobel Peace Prize winners combined."

Old 08-19-2011, 11:34 PM   #14
Supporting Member
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 2564 Times on 1252 Posts
Likes Given: 1287

Ruzai,

I think a lot of the option type are overkill. And my opinion is not meant to offend anyone here, because like some people like half ton trucks and some like three quarter ton trucks we all have our different likes and dislikes. Years ago in my younger days I shot on one of the Army's Rifle Teams for a couple of years. Hence my true love for the M-14 Style Rile will forever be! The Springfield Armory's Rifles from Geneseo IL. are fine rifles no matter what model or use you are going to use it for. I have a Springfield Armory National Match model that I love. It is traditional which I prefer, with the wood stock and blued barrel also which I prefer. I do not like the Super Match due to the fact that the stock is so bulky and thick and does not have the the traditional rifle's feel. I have had both the National Match and the Super Match but prefer the traditional feel of the regular stock. I take care of my weapons so stainless is not even a consideration. Bottom line, you should look into the Springfield National Match. In fact several years ago I sold my original FNLAR to my good friend so I could go buy this NM. I since have got the FNLAR back. As far as accuracy the M-14 style rifle in even the standard grade are accurate. The Springfield M-14 NM that I have at the present has made several 1000 yard shots with acceptable accuracy on a E-Silhouette Military Target with hitting center mass on the 42" tall target and Paper Targets. I do presently have a Springfield Scope on it also with the good mount. It is very accurate! Good luck on your venture!

Old 08-20-2011, 02:23 AM   #15

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Wow, you even covered the scope mounts. I'm glad to know that about them because I want to put a good scope on it.
I know I want the stocks bedded, it's one less thing I have to worry about when bringing the gun out into humid range sessions.
The USGI synthetics must be what everyone keeps complaining about being not as solid feeling as they'd like. Most of the guys I talked to about it seem to have the lower end M1As.
Depending on how much I can save between barrel options really lets me know whether or not I want to go ahead with the Krieger. I doubt I can shoot any better than the typical barrel on the M-21 on anything above a Loaded M1A.
I know nothing about what the specs of the reciever might be to check if its out of spec. I doubt I'll have my choice anyhow on checking since I probably wont get to see the gun before I buy it, but it being new gives me some comfort.

An odd and slightly idiotic question I have is what's the difference ont he designations of the rifles? M1A vs M-14 vs M-21? I'm guessing the M-14 was the full-auto variant and the M-21 was a designated sniper system?

I'm already surrounded by half-dead brainless people already, the zombie apocalypse would just give me a reason to be productive and get rid of them.

Old 08-20-2011, 03:53 AM   #16

Quote:
Wow, you even covered the scope mounts. I'm glad to know that about them because I want to put a good scope on it.
I know I want the stocks bedded, it's one less thing I have to worry about when bringing the gun out into humid range sessions.
The USGI synthetics must be what everyone keeps complaining about being not as solid feeling as they'd like. Most of the guys I talked to about it seem to have the lower end M1As.
Depending on how much I can save between barrel options really lets me know whether or not I want to go ahead with the Krieger. I doubt I can shoot any better than the typical barrel on the M-21 on anything above a Loaded M1A.
I know nothing about what the specs of the reciever might be to check if its out of spec. I doubt I'll have my choice anyhow on checking since I probably wont get to see the gun before I buy it, but it being new gives me some comfort.

An odd and slightly idiotic question I have is what's the difference ont he designations of the rifles? M1A vs M-14 vs M-21? I'm guessing the M-14 was the full-auto variant and the M-21 was a designated sniper system?
The USGI Synthetic stocks are plenty stiff for general use, but if you use a sling for tension, they will flex. It is really easy to put some stiffeners inside the barrel channel, though. I have USGI Synthetic stocks on most of my rifles, and love them.

Just avoid a lot of potential drama with receiver specs and buy the Bassett Machine low Picatinny mount. They run about $150 and are idiot proof. They return to zero almost perfectly when removed and replaced.

When Elmer Ballance wanted to make a semi auto M14 the Gov't would not let him call it the "M14", so he called it the "M1A", a name that is proprietary to Springfield Armory. The law was relaxed later, and most other companies just call their rifles "M14s".

The M21 was/is an accurized NM M14 optimized for scoped use. In Vietnam they were fitted with a variety of scopes, finally settling on the ART2 which was made by Redfield. The M21 stock that SAI sells is cool.

The Loaded Model will not disappoint you in the accuracy department.

And when you buy your scope, note that M14s are famous for eating scopes. Avoid a side focus/parallax knob, and go with a traditional adjustable objective type of parallax adjustment.

SAF-Life
PEIAPOI

"Obama has ordered the launching of more Tomahawk cruise missiles than All the other Nobel Peace Prize winners combined."

Old 08-21-2011, 12:30 AM   #17

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

I got to hold what I THINK was the Super Match with the over-sized walnut stock. Damn was that thing heavy. I'm used to the weight of a fully loaded and scoped FAL but it was just a tad bit heavier than I expected
I compared it to the Scout Squad in a walnut stock they had and I liked its weight. Add a scope to it and it'd be the perfect weight for me. The two problems with the scout are the barrel twist rate and the fact its not bedded, and humidity is a gauranteed with going back to Louisiana.

I can deal with the weight but having it lighter would be desireable with the same twist rate as the M-21 and bedded of course.
I didnt much care for the extra weight of the oversized stock on the Super Match, especially around the barrel, it made the gun really muzzle heavy, how does the M-21 stock differ fromt he Super Match's oversized stock?

I'm already surrounded by half-dead brainless people already, the zombie apocalypse would just give me a reason to be productive and get rid of them.

Old 08-21-2011, 12:43 AM   #18

Quote:
I got to hold what I THINK was the Super Match with the over-sized walnut stock. Damn was that thing heavy. I'm used to the weight of a fully loaded and scoped FAL but it was just a tad bit heavier than I expected
I compared it to the Scout Squad in a walnut stock they had and I liked its weight. Add a scope to it and it'd be the perfect weight for me. The two problems with the scout are the barrel twist rate and the fact its not bedded, and humidity is a gauranteed with going back to Louisiana.

I can deal with the weight but having it lighter would be desireable with the same twist rate as the M-21 and bedded of course.
I didnt much care for the extra weight of the oversized stock on the Super Match, especially around the barrel, it made the gun really muzzle heavy, how does the M-21 stock differ fromt he Super Match's oversized stock?
How far can you shoot in LA?

You will find very little difference in the ability of the rifles that have varying twist rates at any reasonable range (50+/-).

The Squad Scout will do everything you need, most likely. And for the humidity, go with a USGI Synthetic stock. Unless you are competing, and use the sling to strap up and cinch down, the synthetic stock is plenty stiff. And it is the stock I have on all the rifles I'm likely to carry very far.

The tighter twist is for the 168/173/175 gr pills at long range. But the 1/12 and 150s works great.

The perfect blend for all around field use is a Squad Scout length. If you are competing in sanctioned matches, one of the NM versions will do well. But the M21 won't qualify in sanctioned Service Rifle matches.

SAF-Life
PEIAPOI

Old 08-21-2011, 12:55 AM   #19

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

I know my own limitations and beyond 400 yards is stretching it for me. We have a 1,000 yard range less than an hour away back home but realisticly you cant find any stretches other than pipelines that go further than 500 yards.
I'd like to keep the wood stock if at all possible, just for the sling use and for the Classic look. Now that I think about it, I'm used to 1:11 twist so I dont know why I'm letting that get me bent out of shape.
EDIT: I answered my own question. I was gonna ask about a bedded wood stock with good weight. The National Match seems to be the middle of the road with a bedded wood stock and a pretty decent barrel. I think that's what I'm looking at getting. To go stainless or no...lol

Last edited by Ruzai; 08-21-2011 at 01:01 AM.

Old 08-21-2011, 01:26 AM   #20

Quote:
I know my own limitations and beyond 400 yards is stretching it for me. We have a 1,000 yard range less than an hour away back home but realisticly you cant find any stretches other than pipelines that go further than 500 yards.
I'd like to keep the wood stock if at all possible, just for the sling use and for the Classic look. Now that I think about it, I'm used to 1:11 twist so I dont know why I'm letting that get me bent out of shape.
EDIT: I answered my own question. I was gonna ask about a bedded wood stock with good weight. The National Match seems to be the middle of the road with a bedded wood stock and a pretty decent barrel. I think that's what I'm looking at getting. To go stainless or no...lol
For 400, you could use a Socom with no problem. The Squad Scout is fine for that.

SAF-Life
PEIAPOI