Choosing an M1A style rifle
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Long Guns > General Rifle Discussion > Choosing an M1A style rifle

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-19-2011, 07:47 AM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Default Choosing an M1A style rifle

I have a rare chance to buy a M1A style rifle at a good price and get to have it soon. The conditions are it has to be from Springfield Armory. There is one in-particular M1A style rifle that they sell that I cant buy for the good price but dont know what iit is (at the moment), but if that happens I'll just go with the better model just under that one and I cant have anything from the custom shop. (I'd be doing any custom work myself anyhow).

I want to know some of you guy's experiences with the M1A style rifles to help me decide. Should I get the Stainless Steel option for the barrel? Do the fiberglass stocks feel flimsy and a bit plasticy as some people keep saying? What kind of accuracy can I expect out of different models realisticly?

I'll be using this gun for a target gun and a fun-factor gun as well as a replacement for my FAL (I wanted something that's a bit more of an American Classic battle rifle). I wont be lugging the gun around in the woods since I dont want to mess up a good stock and a the potiential custom work on the stock I have planned.

I'm eyeballing the SuperMatch M1A and the M21 Tactical, any gripes, complaints, comments on any of the M1A rifles would be much appreciated.

I'm already surrounded by half-dead brainless people already, the zombie apocalypse would just give me a reason to be productive and get rid of them.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 08-19-2011, 03:07 PM   #2
Is it Friday yet?
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

I've got a SA M1A. I bought it back in '94 before the gun bill passed and prices got completely stupid. I bought a basic model with the synthetic stock. The stock is not flimsy at all and the parkerizing has held up great.

My experience with this rifle has been outstanding. The factory magazines have performed flawlessly, it is a breeze to take down and clean once you get the trigger group broke loose (mine was in really tight). It shot better than I did for a long time and probably still does half the time.

Old 08-19-2011, 04:01 PM   #3
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 1175 Times on 510 Posts
Likes Given: 2978

I had a synthetic stocked Scout Squad and will buy another if I ever get the dough again.

“If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains set lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that ye were our countrymen.”Samuel Adams

Old 08-19-2011, 04:28 PM   #4
Crazy Azz Redneck
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 1196 Times on 686 Posts
Likes Given: 574

Ruzai,You ought to send M14sRock a PM.

He is the "Know it all" source for these rifles,and has quite a few in his arsenal.I'm sure he'd be more than willing to advise you on getting one.

Old 08-19-2011, 04:28 PM   #5

Liked 31 Times on 22 Posts
Likes Given: 4

I shot a very nice M1A belonging to mrm14. It was sweet!! Shot perfectly at 100 yards, offhand, with the bipod attached! I, however; was all over the target!

People get the government they deserve.

Old 08-19-2011, 04:30 PM   #6

Liked 311 Times on 207 Posts
Likes Given: 27

I'd go with the Super Match M1A over the M-21 varient for accuracy. I beleive the Super Match has the barrel with 1 in 11 twist rifleing and that should allow you to run the heavier grain weight target bullets better. My Loaded has the 1 in 11 twist barrel and I have the best accutacy with the 175 SMK's. The 168"s run pretty good as well. I have an older "Loaded" M1A and when it was new it would lay out groups just at 1" @ 100 yards. Now with near 40,000 rounds down the pipe the grouping has opened up a bit to about 1-3/4" or so at 100 yards. Still pretty darn good for a side op rod rifle. Probably will re-barrel this one with a Kreiger barrel when I get around to it.

Old 08-19-2011, 04:31 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Txhillbilly View Post
Ruzai,You ought to send M14sRock a PM.

He is the "Know it all" source for these rifles,and has quite a few in his arsenal.I'm sure he'd be more than willing to advise you on getting one.
+1 on asking M14s Rock.

Old 08-19-2011, 04:32 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by dunerunner View Post
I shot a very nice M1A belonging to mrm14. It was sweet!! Shot perfectly at 100 yards, offhand, with the bipod attached! I, however; was all over the target!
Hey dune, I was a little more than sloppy that day of shooting myself. We should have put Don behind it and let him have a go at it. I think he was shooting better than both of us that day.

Last edited by mrm14; 08-19-2011 at 04:36 PM.

Old 08-19-2011, 05:02 PM   #9

Liked 58 Times on 35 Posts
Likes Given: 1

I have an M1A Socom with the synthetic stock. It is not flimsy at all.

Old 08-19-2011, 08:36 PM   #10

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

The factory website says both the Super Match and the M-21 have a 1:10 twist. I like the heavy weight bullets out of whatever I shoot, so I'm pretty sure I'm gonna need that 1:10 twist. I dont think I NEED the Krieger Barrel on it but I wouldnt mind having it. I really like the adjustable stock on the M-21 while still having that traditional rifle stock feel.

mrm14 you might want to try some Outers Foul-Out to see if it'll close up the grouping some. I can imagine with that much copper and lead you're bound to have some build up, even with regular cleanings. I know a couple guys that shoot regularly and they swear by the stuff for keeping their barrels near factory clean.

I'll have to send M14sRock a PM and ask him about the specs and all that good stuff. I'm in the middle of that "hurry up and wait" stage of getting the proper identification for the rifle. I moved to Denver this last month and I need a Colorado ID card to buy the gun with the good deal, still waiting on a copy of my birth certficate to get here so I can go get one.

I'm already surrounded by half-dead brainless people already, the zombie apocalypse would just give me a reason to be productive and get rid of them.