Childrens first rifle
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Long Guns > General Rifle Discussion > Childrens first rifle

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-11-2013, 11:28 AM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 181 Times on 134 Posts

Default Childrens first rifle

So recently my 2 younger sisters (13 and 6) have been fallowing closely in my footsteps in the firearm world and I think they have enough safety training to own their own firearms to b kept with me and shot under my supervision. They're very smart with guns, the 6 yr old shocked the lgs owner when I asked her what's the first thing you do when someone hands you a gun and she replied with out hesitation "check that it's unloaded". The 13 yr old has wonderful gun safety, pretty much hand her a gun and she'll shoot it, shoots my mosin and loves the recoil lol. I think the younger one will receive a cricket because she's so small, has trouble looking down the scope on my .22 mag because of it's size. The older sis can shoot a mosin so it'd take a hell of a kick and a heavy @$$ rifle to shy her away. The 9lb 7.62x54r is nothing to her so I'm not really sure what to get her. Unfortunately the budget is tight, around 200$. There are NO mosins around my area or I'd get her her own. Honestly think she'd be disappointed with a (sissy) gun. Her words, not mine lol. Thinking of a possibly used axis in .270? Want something not crazy expensive to shoot but something she'll b happy with and proud to shoot Idk, what's your thoughts and opinions?

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 04-11-2013, 04:34 PM   #2

Liked 46 Times on 28 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by austin92 View Post
So recently my 2 younger sisters (13 and 6) have been fallowing closely in my footsteps in the firearm world and I think they have enough safety training to own their own firearms to b kept with me and shot under my supervision. They're very smart with guns, the 6 yr old shocked the lgs owner when I asked her what's the first thing you do when someone hands you a gun and she replied with out hesitation "check that it's unloaded". The 13 yr old has wonderful gun safety, pretty much hand her a gun and she'll shoot it, shoots my mosin and loves the recoil lol. I think the younger one will receive a cricket because she's so small, has trouble looking down the scope on my .22 mag because of it's size. The older sis can shoot a mosin so it'd take a hell of a kick and a heavy @$$ rifle to shy her away. The 9lb 7.62x54r is nothing to her so I'm not really sure what to get her. Unfortunately the budget is tight, around 200$. There are NO mosins around my area or I'd get her her own. Honestly think she'd be disappointed with a (sissy) gun. Her words, not mine lol. Thinking of a possibly used axis in .270? Want something not crazy expensive to shoot but something she'll b happy with and proud to shoot Idk, what's your thoughts and opinions?
I started my daughter with a Youth Model of Remington 700 in .243 topped with a nice middle of the road Nikon 2-7 scope. It was a few more dollars than what I wanted to spend but I knew that the market for used Youth 700s is always REALLY good and kids outgrow guns. When she was ready to move "up" I could have just restocked the gun with an adult stock and called it good but she wanted something with a little more horsepower so I sold the .243 for nearly what I paid for it, added just a couple of dollars to the fund and got her a nice 700 SPS Stainless in 7mm-08 that is her go-to deer rifle to date. Since then I upgraded the stock to a B&C medalist, the scope to a Leupold VX-3 2.5-8 and a nice aftermarket trigger (the beauty of the 700 rifles is that you can buy a Chevy and build a Cadillac as money allows) and she now has a world class hunting rifle that makes a lot of my friends drool when they see it.

Old 04-11-2013, 04:49 PM   #3
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 966 Times on 638 Posts
Likes Given: 1248

Austin

I suggest you research the 7mm-08 caliber for the older sister. This caliber is what my twin daughters hunt/shoot with. We are soon headed to Texas for our annual Hawg Hunt.

The 7mm-08 coupled with a 140 grain bullet becomes quite exceptional. Ammo is affordable, caliber is easy enough recoil for light framed shooters, versatile in "hand-loading" for it.

Become steel or get cut.

Old 04-11-2013, 05:26 PM   #4
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 1142 Times on 744 Posts
Likes Given: 676

my older suster uses, and has used for as long as i can remember a 7mm-08. most likely even a used rifle wll cost you more than 200. i suggest you reasearch, and focus on saving up more money. you can find mosins online and only have to pay shipping and ffl fees. maybe you have a LGS that has a reasonable fee.

for something that at least in my area still has lots of ammo on the shelf. look for a rifle in .22 mag. they are great fun guns with fair priced ammo, and can be used for target, or most small game hunting. its not the kick of a mosin but i wouldbe er own rifle. and im sure she would enjoy it.

even a rifle thats a 22LR. you get to shoot more often for cheap. and you can find new and used 22 well under your budget.

but before all of this you need to discuss some things with your parents. do they give you permission to let her shoot, and give her a rifle? after all i dont think just being an older sibling automaticly makes you a legal gaurdian.

when I am torn into strips and used as bandages
for my wounded comrades on the battlefield,
When I fly at half-mast to honor my soldiers,
Or when I lie in the trembling arms
of a grieving mother
at the graveside of her fallen son.

Old 04-12-2013, 12:10 AM   #5

Liked 2452 Times on 1591 Posts

I recommend a savage rascal vs the cricket. The rascal has the accutrigger, which is a big plus. My girls pink one was around $155 new.

As far as the older one, a previously mentioned .22 mag, or a .17 can be had in your price range. Anything bigger will cost more dough, unless it is rough shape. A gun shop near me has a rough enfield for $150. Or wait for a mosin, there is always one on armslist it seems.

Feral cat waterboarder

Old 04-12-2013, 01:00 AM   #6

Liked 65 Times on 36 Posts

For the 6 yr old I'd suggest a 22LR.

For the 13, since she's not intimidate by a 7.63x54 - Go with a 308 or 270.

Especially, since your on a budget, the cost of this ammo would be low.

Old 04-12-2013, 11:26 AM   #7

Liked 181 Times on 134 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wambli

I started my daughter with a Youth Model of Remington 700 in .243 topped with a nice middle of the road Nikon 2-7 scope. It was a few more dollars than what I wanted to spend but I knew that the market for used Youth 700s is always REALLY good and kids outgrow guns. When she was ready to move "up" I could have just restocked the gun with an adult stock and called it good but she wanted something with a little more horsepower so I sold the .243 for nearly what I paid for it, added just a couple of dollars to the fund and got her a nice 700 SPS Stainless in 7mm-08 that is her go-to deer rifle to date. Since then I upgraded the stock to a B&C medalist, the scope to a Leupold VX-3 2.5-8 and a nice aftermarket trigger (the beauty of the 700 rifles is that you can buy a Chevy and build a Cadillac as money allows) and she now has a world class hunting rifle that makes a lot of my friends drool when they see it.
What's the average cost of .243? Surely that would be enough kick to make her happy and iirc it's not terribly expensive. Good advice here but to try and save a few dollars do you think a rem 770 would b ok to start out on compared to the 700?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steel_Talon
Austin

I suggest you research the 7mm-08 caliber for the older sister. This caliber is what my twin daughters hunt/shoot with. We are soon headed to Texas for our annual Hawg Hunt.

The 7mm-08 coupled with a 140 grain bullet becomes quite exceptional. Ammo is affordable, caliber is easy enough recoil for light framed shooters, versatile in "hand-loading" for it.
Will look in to it as it's been mentioned 3 times lol. Thank you

Quote:
Originally Posted by jjfuller1
my older suster uses, and has used for as long as i can remember a 7mm-08. most likely even a used rifle wll cost you more than 200. i suggest you reasearch, and focus on saving up more money. you can find mosins online and only have to pay shipping and ffl fees. maybe you have a LGS that has a reasonable fee.

for something that at least in my area still has lots of ammo on the shelf. look for a rifle in .22 mag. they are great fun guns with fair priced ammo, and can be used for target, or most small game hunting. its not the kick of a mosin but i wouldbe er own rifle. and im sure she would enjoy it.

even a rifle thats a 22LR. you get to shoot more often for cheap. and you can find new and used 22 well under your budget.

but before all of this you need to discuss some things with your parents. do they give you permission to let her shoot, and give her a rifle? after all i dont think just being an older sibling automaticly makes you a legal gaurdian.
I have a colt single shot .22 mag that was our great grandfathers and it bores her because it's quiet and had no kick lol. As for our parents....well I've been just as much of a parent, if not more to them as our parents for a very long time. Both our parents have grown up around guns, so either way there is no issue if the firearms are kept with me.

Quote:
Originally Posted by primer1
I recommend a savage rascal vs the cricket. The rascal has the accutrigger, which is a big plus. My girls pink one was around $155 new.

As far as the older one, a previously mentioned .22 mag, or a .17 can be had in your price range. Anything bigger will cost more dough, unless it is rough shape. A gun shop near me has a rough enfield for $150. Or wait for a mosin, there is always one on armslist it seems.
I was unaware savage made something similar to the cricket. Definitely will look n to that, thank you

Looking to buy a MN 91/30 if anyone is selling

Old 04-12-2013, 11:43 AM   #8
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 1142 Times on 744 Posts
Likes Given: 676

http://www.jgsales.com/mosin-nagant-91-30-round-receiver-rifle,-russian-mfg,-7.62x54r-caliber.-used.-p-1041.html
when I am torn into strips and used as bandages
for my wounded comrades on the battlefield,
When I fly at half-mast to honor my soldiers,
Or when I lie in the trembling arms
of a grieving mother
at the graveside of her fallen son.

Old 04-12-2013, 01:11 PM   #9

Liked 5 Times on 3 Posts

What state are you in Austin?

Old 04-12-2013, 02:36 PM   #10

Liked 46 Times on 28 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by austin92 View Post
What's the average cost of .243? Surely that would be enough kick to make her happy and iirc it's not terribly expensive. Good advice here but to try and save a few dollars do you think a rem 770 would b ok to start out on compared to the 700?
I would prefer the 700 because (and this is my thinking will all gun purchases) if for any reason you need to sell it later down the line the gun will hold it's value much better. One way to get into a 700 as reasonably as possible is to look for a well used wood stocked ADL in a chambering like .243, .260, 7mm-08 or .308. All of those are mild shooters that have enough power for anything needed and those rifles are around for a good deal with a little shopping.

Cut the wood stock down to her size and put a nice sorbotane pad on it (you can do this yourself or even if you have it done professionally it is a cheap upgrade) and if the blueing is worn or beat up a bit give it a facelift with Alumahyde II, a spray on VERY durable finish Brownell sells that will make the gun look like new. When she grows up you can then unload the "kids" stock on Gunbroker (always a market for those) and buy a full sized stock for the gun.