Cheytac .408 sniper system - Any Civilian Models?
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Long Guns > General Rifle Discussion > Cheytac .408 sniper system - Any Civilian Models?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-04-2011, 11:14 PM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Default Cheytac .408 sniper system - Any Civilian Models?

Hey everyone,

Recently saw on the Military Channel the "Top 10" they do for various weapons and technologies of the military and this episode was on sniper rifles and systems. The number one spot, the cheytac .408 sniper system, was something I've never heard of before and was immediatley interested.
It boasts the firepower of a .50 cal but claims it is more accurate at longer distances then the popular Baretta .50 cal sniper rifle.

I think the rifle is brand new and I've done some research and heard the special round is for military only and I think it might be illegal to own this rifle unless your apart of the company or a active serviceman.

Does anyone have any information on a civilian model or does anyone actually know the legal issues with this rifle?

I hear it goes around 10k in America so it's definatley the Lamborghini of sniper rifles but if anyone has any information I'd be real curious to learn more about this sniper system.

Heres the wikipedia link for anyone interested: CheyTac Intervention - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 03-04-2011, 11:29 PM   #2

Location: I see you, and you will not know when I will strike
Liked 3478 Times on 1609 Posts
Likes Given: 3590

A civilian model exists, but the software that makes the system so effective is available, but it's SEVERLY lacking from the military version.

Yes, the Cheytac Intervention is one hell of a long range tactical system, but as a civilian you can not buy the "Intervention" package. You can get something close, but it's going to cost you.

What, specifically, do you want to know?

JD

Old 03-04-2011, 11:30 PM   #3

Liked 14 Times on 9 Posts
Likes Given: 11

Give them a call.
Cheytac LLC - The Leader in Extreme Long Range Precision Rifle Systems

Old 03-04-2011, 11:38 PM   #4
Crazy Azz Redneck
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 1178 Times on 677 Posts
Likes Given: 568

While Cheytac makes a nice weapon system,but why would you want to spend 10k on a specialty type rifle if you have no use for it?

If the look of the weapon is what got you looking,save about $8500 and look at a Savage BAS-K in 300WM or 338 Lapua.

Savage Arms Firearms > 110 BA

Old 03-04-2011, 11:42 PM   #5

Liked 1419 Times on 808 Posts
Likes Given: 1290

Yep, it's a serious round!

http://i1060.photobucket.com/albums/...ps18cfbeae.jpg

Get her dirty, then clean her so she starts to respect you. When her trust is complete, she will serve you well for a lifetime!

"...if doves shot back, there wouldn't be a need for a bag limit."
- orangello

Old 03-04-2011, 11:43 PM   #6

Who cares about cost when you have the itch.

Old 03-05-2011, 03:48 AM   #7
FTF_MODERATOR.png

Liked 5505 Times on 2873 Posts
Likes Given: 357

that has got to be one of the ugliest rifles ive ever seen. they had to have gone waaaay out of their way and actually spent money to research how to make it that ugly

"Gun control: The theory that a woman found dead in an alley, raped and strangled with her panty hose, is somehow morally superior to a woman explaining to police how her attacker got that fatal bullet wound." — L. Neil Smith

The problem with being stupid is you cannot simply decide to stop doing dumb things...

Old 03-05-2011, 04:24 AM   #8

Location: I see you, and you will not know when I will strike
Liked 3478 Times on 1609 Posts
Likes Given: 3590

Quote:
Originally Posted by JonM View Post
that has got to be one of the ugliest rifles ive ever seen. they had to have gone waaaay out of their way and actually spent money to research how to make it that ugly
Haven't seen the ballistics of the round, or the world record it holds, have you?

Trust me brother. The full blown Cheytac Intervention is THE STANDARD right now for a "Long Range Tactical Solution" Shooting. Well, that and the World Record Grouping it holds at over 2400 yards.

PS - 1760 is ONE MILE.

Old 03-05-2011, 05:18 AM   #9

I pretty much wanted to know if there was a civilian model and if it was worth the purchase. From what you guys seem to be saying, by not being able to purchase the special .408, your basically paying for the body of a ferrari without the engine.

@JonM
I'm not really sure how "ugly" the gun is, if you ask me it looks like a rail gun from some sort of video game. I'm sure all of the unique physical features you call ugly are just something you haven't seen before that all works together to make it a ground-breaking weapons system.

I wonder how many people thought the M16 was ugly before it was named the leader in assault rifle technology...

Old 03-05-2011, 05:23 AM   #10

Liked 11 Times on 10 Posts

Ugly is good. Just look at the A-10 Thunderbolt II.

DON'T BUY DELL!!!!!

BEWARE!!! The toes you step on today may be connected to the ass you kiss tomorrow.

PM Tango about his upcoming SHARTFOO courses.