Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Long Guns > General Rifle Discussion > cheap rifle

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-16-2013, 07:19 PM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 9 Times on 6 Posts

Default cheap rifle

I'm looking for a cheap but acurate 30-06 I'm thinking of going with the remington 770 because I've heard there very accurate but if anyone has any suggestions please let me here them. I don't want to spend more then $350ish thanks

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 03-16-2013, 07:24 PM   #2

Liked 185 Times on 147 Posts
Likes Given: 103

Mossberg ATR

Marlin Model 60
Mossberg Maverick 88-12 GA
Mosin Nagant 91/30
Stag Model 2
Smith And Wesson M&P 15-22
Mossberg ATR 100 "Night Train"-.308
Chinese T53 Mosin Nagant X2

Old 03-16-2013, 07:26 PM   #3

Liked 2371 Times on 1481 Posts
Likes Given: 51

Entry marlin rifles are popular, ruger American which I own, haven't shot it yet though, savage axis are popular. The 770 is hit or miss it seems. The bolt seems to be the biggest downfall. The mossberg is supposed to be decent but kicks like a mule I've been told.

The Ruger American will be the top of your range. It was a little over $350 after tax for me in ky. Msrp is $450. Some people are asking that.

Oh dern....

Revelation 19:11

And I saw heaven opened, and behold a white horse; and he that sat upon him was called Faithful and True, and in righteousness he doth judge and make war.

Old 03-16-2013, 07:53 PM   #4

Liked 9 Times on 6 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by kytowboater View Post
Entry marlin rifles are popular, ruger American which I own, haven't shot it yet though, savage axis are popular. The 770 is hit or miss it seems. The bolt seems to be the biggest downfall. The mossberg is supposed to be decent but kicks like a mule I've been told.

The Ruger American will be the top of your range. It was a little over $350 after tax for me in ky. Msrp is $450. Some people are asking that.
I looked at the ruger it seemed to have a less wobbly bolt just wasn't sure of there accuracy

Old 03-16-2013, 08:01 PM   #5
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 1163 Times on 650 Posts
Likes Given: 469

Shop for used rifles, I bought a used Ruger M77 18-20 years ago, still puts venison in the freezer.

Old 03-16-2013, 08:35 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by rob1990

I looked at the ruger it seemed to have a less wobbly bolt just wasn't sure of there accuracy
Supposed to be very accurate out of the box. Free floated barrel a "power block" receiver. They claim the best in the category b

Oh dern....

And I saw heaven opened, and behold a white horse; and he that sat upon him was called Faithful and True, and in righteousness he doth judge and make war.

Old 03-16-2013, 09:15 PM   #7

Liked 9 Times on 6 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by kytowboater View Post

Supposed to be very accurate out of the box. Free floated barrel a "power block" receiver. They claim the best in the category b
What exactly is a ''power block'' receiver? Also I have a bushnell trophy 3-9x40mm scope sitting on my shelf brandnew in box would that be good enough for a 30-06?

Old 03-16-2013, 09:25 PM   #8
The Apocalypse Is Coming.....

Liked 20073 Times on 11419 Posts
Likes Given: 50632

the Remington M770 is not an accurate rifle, or at least the one i owned and the others i have shot. there are those who seem pleased with them and some do seem accurate, but these are the exception, not the rule. bolts are sloppy and sometimes stick and will fail at times to pick up the next round, the triggers are gritty and heavy feeling, the stocks are very flimsy and the barrels are press fitted to the reciever. none of which is condusive of an accurate shooting rifle. personally, in the price range of the M770, there are way much better choices.

the Marlin X7 series of rifles are IMO, one of the best bargains in the entry level field of bolt action rifles. very well made, very accurate and decently priced. they have an adjustable trigger, pillar bedded stock, free floated barrels and an excellent recoil pad. the bad is, the forearm of the stock is a little flimsy, not bad, beings the barrel is free floated. it's an easy fix and i have fixed all three of mine. the other downfall is the limited selection of calibers. i wish they would bring out some more like a 7mm Rem. Mag., a 300 Win. Mag., and some others as well. thes X7's IMO, are one of the best available in the price range and the only thing bargain about them is the price.

the Mossberg ATR100, another good choice if looking for a hunting rifle. reason i say this is, just as mentioned, they are one hard kicking rifle! i had one in 30-06, and it had to have been the hardest recoiling 30-06 i have ever owned. accurate as hell with my handloads and i shot some very, very small groups with mine. all in all, a very good rifle nonetheless, well made, looked good and was very reliable and accurate. just hard kicking!

the Savage Axis series is another good choice. not a bad rifle indeed. haven't owned one but have shot several of them. accuracy is very good, they are well made and are very reliable. now my detraction is more from a personal preference and not any disrespect for the Axis by any means, but the rifle just doesn't fit me well when shouldered, and seems, well, delicate or made more for a youth than a full grown man. but i do recommend them as they are a very good rifle at a very good price.

the Ruger American, i have only seen one so far and held it. i hae read about them and seen the reviews. so far, the consensus seems to be a quality made rifle with decent accuracy at a good price. seems pretty good to me. now i wouldn't buy one personally as again, personal preference, i didn't like the way it shouldered. that's just me though. but with all i have read and what i saw personally, i would recommend at least checking them out and giving them consideration. i also like Ruger rifles and have owned many of the M77's over the years, but the Ruger American just doesn't fit me the way a M77 does. again, just personal preference.

also check out the Weatherby Vanguard and the Howa 1500. same rifle different names and a different stock. an excellent rifle and very well made and very accurate. little more expensive than the others i listed, but well worth the money.

then there is always used rifles. i have bought many very nice used rifles over the years. some even less than half in price of what the same rifle was when new. check out your local gun stores and pawn shops. used, check out the Remington M700's, Winchester M70's, Weatherby's, Ruger M77's and many others. sometimes used rifles have only been shot few times and are sometimes in very good condition. many times some will even already have a scope and sling already installed which can make the deal even better.

hope all this helps you in making a choice and good luck and let us know what you find. if you find something and like it and want more information, just let us know and we will try and help you out.

Old 03-16-2013, 09:26 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by rob1990

What exactly is a ''power block'' receiver? Also I have a bushnell trophy 3-9x40mm scope sitting on my shelf brandnew in box would that be good enough for a 30-06?
Is their version of pillar bedding? I guess. Bolts everything together tight, and makes for better accuracy. Google it. Has videos.

My friends all use the scope you listed. Puts deer in the freezer year after year. I opted for a Nikon ProStaff 3-9x40, not to much more expensive. I can't wait to be home from work and try to shoot it.

Wife is preggo again so who knows when I get to shoot again.

The ruger also has an adjustable trigger.

For me it was between the marlin and the ruger, the ruger fit me better, and the fact it had scope bases factory installed was a plus.

Good luck.

Oh dern....

Old 03-16-2013, 09:27 PM   #10
The Apocalypse Is Coming.....

Liked 20073 Times on 11419 Posts
Likes Given: 50632

Quote:
Originally Posted by rob1990 View Post
has a V-shaped aluminum block made into the stock, that makes for a rigid platform when bolt together and enhances the accuracy.

yes for the most part it would just fine for a 30-06 for hunting.