Cheap reliable rifle - Page 2
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Long Guns > General Rifle Discussion > Cheap reliable rifle

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-30-2013, 07:29 AM   #11
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 24 Times on 16 Posts
Likes Given: 7

I don't thin you need to be worried about recoil seeing as when you take a shot on a deer the last thing you're worried about is the recoil every time I've shot a deer I didn't feel anything shooting a 7mm mag

Old 03-30-2013, 08:02 AM   #12

Liked 226 Times on 173 Posts
Likes Given: 108

Rifle prefrence varies from person to person, and everyone has their favorite, I have owned alot of bolt actions so I can recommend more then one but choose what fits you well. Here is my basic caliber breakdown.
243 Win
Pros: Shoots flat with minimal recoil and often considered a very accurate cartridge (as are all 308 besed cases 243, 260, 7mm-08) ammo is inexpensive around $20 a box for basic ammo (Power points or Core Lokts)
Cons: Often considerd the minimum for deer, effective range is 200-300yards before you go below the standard 1,000 ft/lbs
25-06
Pros: Very fast and flat shooting with a bit more punch then the 243, recoil is still on the light side, alot of fun to shoot.
Cons: Ammo costs more then the more common calibers, around $28 a box, muzzle blast can be excessive in shorter barrels, this is very much a magnum cartridge without the magnum name, try to find a 24" if you can. Only advantage it has on the 270 is a slight reduction in recoil.
260 Rem (you can use the same pros/cons for the 6.5 Creedmore too)
Pros: Super efficient light kicking cartridges with a very long effective range, as accurate as bullets get, they are common in 1,000yd matches.
Cons: Ammo is harder to find, they don't sell it at Wal-Mart
270 Winchester
Pros: Fast, flat shooting, powerful, long ranged this cartridge does it all. Perfect for deer and adaquate for elk class game. $20 a box ammo and you can still find it in our current ammo panic.
Cons: Not as efficient as some of it's more modern counterparts.
270 WSM
Pros: Crazy fast 3300fps speeds, shoots as flat as the legendary 257 Wby Mag! Very powerful much like the 7mm Rem Mag with slightly lighter bullets and a noticeable reduction in recoil.
Cons: As with all magnums ammo is pricy and you cannot use just any old cup and core bullet if you want reliable penetration on game, premium bonded bullets cost even more.
7mm-08
Pros: As with all 308 case cartridges it is highly prized by competitive shooters for it's accuracy, super efficient it gives alot of downrange punch for it's modest recoil. Same level of killing energy as the 270.
Cons: No Wal-Mart ammo, normally runs $28-$32 a box. You have to handload to get all of that super efficiency, they don't make most of those super bullets in factory form.
7mm Rem Mag
Pros: Massive killing energy out to ranges you will probably never shoot, very accurate in some rifle the Secret Service counter snipers use it. Plenty enough gun for large game.
Cons: Harsh snappy recoil in light weight rifles, ammo is pricy around $40 a box for the decent stuff. The stupid belt on the case is a completely useless appendage and I don't know why that drives me crazy.
30-30
Pros: All you will ever need in the brush, easy to shoot and 30 caliber, been filling freezers since before freezers were invented (JK)
Cons: Slow moving, short ranged rainbow trajectory but inside 150 yards you will never notice.
Pros: Efficient, powerful, manageable recoil, accurate, this is the standard by which all others should be judged, it is that darn good.
Con's: What cons? While not everyone loves it's "do it all" personality nobody will argue it usefulness as the ultimate utility cartridge.
30-06
Pros: Nothing better then old faithful, does everything the 308 does with 100fps more speed and a little more recoil won't hurt you......much.
Cons: About as much recoil as the average shooter can put up with, I love it but I have been shooting high powered rifles for a long time.
300 Win Mag (WSM)
Pros: Devastating power for anything in North America, more then enough for elk and even moose, kills deer like they were hit by a bullet train.
Cons: While all magnums can cause excessive meat damage this one takes the cake, nothing spells jello like a 30 caliber at 3200+fps, recoil can be downright painful in a poorly fitted rifle. OVERKILL for any deer inside 300 yards IMHO

Old 03-30-2013, 08:08 AM   #13

image-976069185.jpg
So in love with this gun

Old 03-30-2013, 08:14 AM   #14

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Thanks for all that info apex. I think I am going to look for something in .270 win or .308. I have a savage mark ii .22 lr and I love it. It has the accutrigger and a bull barrel. I'm leaning towards buying another savage but its not set in stone. I'm going to hit up a local gun shop to see what they got and how much they're charging.

Old 03-30-2013, 08:17 AM   #15

I love the accutriggers on the new savages

Old 03-30-2013, 08:21 AM   #16

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

That's rifle looks sweet. What exactly is it?

Old 03-30-2013, 08:27 AM   #17

It's a R700 sendero SFII 7mm mag I love it and the recoil isn't bad at all because its such a heavy gun, one of the reasons I don't use it for hunting when I'm moving around a lot haha, it's got a heavy fluted barrel and it is incredibly accurate I bought it to go hunting out west to take long shots but I like to use it here in NC too. Since its such a devastating caliber it's not a gun I would use to begin with since a body shot would mess up a lot of the meat and in most places a 7mm mag is a bit overkill unless you're taking very long shots.

Old 03-30-2013, 08:36 AM   #18

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Sounds good man. I'll keep the weight issue in mind. Again sweet looking rifle.

Old 03-30-2013, 08:38 AM   #19

Just to give you an idea of how good the Savages are, I have a nice collection of some fantastic rifles, I handload for all of them and all of them are dialed in very well, my brother and sister in law both prefer my cheap $386 Savage 30-06 to any of my higher end rifles. It is such an easy rifle to shoot well they both shoot impressive groups with it, and it came from the factory with a really good recoil pad that tames full power 180gr 30-06 handloads to a manageable level even for a female shooter. That rifle has accounted for more deer last year then any other because one of us is always using it.
A couple of things to remember with Savages though, they come from the factory with a very rough bore, you will be brushing out lead flakes for the first hundred rounds at leased, the Savage barrels are bullet picky, they won't shoot everything well but I assure you it won't take long to find something it likes. Cheap core-lokts normally shoot good but power points are hit or miss. Savage synthetic stocks (except their higher end stuff) are cheesy as can be and you will eventually feel the urge to replace them, but you don't NEED to they are functional if nothing else and they still shoot good sitting on that flexy thing which amazes me. Get the real 110 or 111 the Axis does not get the aftermarket support the others do and the Accutrigger is well worth the money.

Old 03-30-2013, 08:46 AM   #20

My personal favorite is the Tikka T3 rifle, absolutely amazing accurate, and unlike the all of my other rifles it is not bullet picky, pretty much anything you shoot through it is going to be spot on, even the stupid cheap $13 a box Prvi shoots well under an inch. Action is the smoothest of any rifle you will ever handle I literary cannot feel it chamber a round. At only 6.25lbs it is one of the lightest standard sized rifles around, and the trigger is BETTER then the Accutrigger as hard as that is to believe. Only downsides are it has a slightly longer LOP then is ideal for me (I am 5'6") and the factory recoil pad is pretty hard, so if you were to get one in a magnum caliber you would probably want to change it out.