Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com

Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/)
-   General Rifle Discussion (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f18/)
-   -   Cheap Brass Cased 7.62x39 Ammo? (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f18/cheap-brass-cased-7-62x39-ammo-36658/)

Michael421 01-09-2011 03:36 PM

Cheap Brass Cased 7.62x39 Ammo?

I own a Ruger Mini-30 and am having a hell of a time finding brass cased 7.62x39. I feel like an ass for not reading about the seemingly hard to find ammo before I bought it. Ah well, you live and learn.

Anyways, I was wondering if anyone is/had been in the same situation? Where did you get decent priced ammo? I've seen some Yugoslavian surplus online that's brass cased and slightly/moderately corrosive, bedran primed, and about $0.10/rnd. This sounds amazing, but I was wondering if anyone had any experience with it?

Currently I'm paying upwards of $1.15/rnd. at the range, and I'm really starting to dislike the massive hole my wallet has.

Also, before anyone potentially says anything, steel cased ammo is out of the question (unfortunately... $4 for a box of 20 O.O), the Mini-30 is stainless steel and Ruger specifically states not to use steel cased ammo.

Thanks for your help.

JonM 01-09-2011 03:39 PM

hate to say it but there isnt any non corrosive brass case. the reason wolf is cheap is because of the case material. if you want cheap brass cased 7.62x39 your gonna have to take up reloading.

orangello 01-09-2011 03:43 PM

I have been tempted by the surplus stuff at places like classicarms.us, but i haven't purchased any yet.

I picked up some ammo when i purchased my SKS at a gunshow; the markings appear to be the same or very similar to what i've seen on the surplus stuff online. Those few boxes shot just fine & didn't seem too dirty to me, of course, this was probably ammo designed for the SKS, more or less.

Michael421 01-09-2011 03:51 PM

@Jon - That's what I was afraid of. Hate to ask a stupid question here, but what are the downsides to using corrosive ammo? I've read that as long as you follow proper cleaning procedures, you're gun should be alright. Is this correct?

As for reloading, it's always been something I've wanted to do. Do you have any experience with it? I've read a lot of stuff saying it can be relatively challenging to get right when you're a novice, and I'd really rather avoid any serious misfires due to my potentially crappy reloading job.

kenhesr 01-10-2011 01:05 AM

I've been shooting the surplus Yugo brass cased 7.62x39 ammo for years. Bought it especially to use in my AR-15s in that cal. They just love it. Very accurate and dependable stuff.

It is corrosive, but so what? If you clean your rifle after every range trip, you won't even know its corrosive, besides the Ruger Mini 30 is an easy one to clean. A lot of us old guys have been shooting US corrosive surplus ammo most of our lives with no problems.

Don't let the corrosive primers stop you, this is good ammo, try some! Just add some warm soapy water or water based bore cleaner to the first step of your cleaning routine. JMHO Ken