changing calibers on a p14 ?
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Long Guns > General Rifle Discussion > changing calibers on a p14 ?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-22-2010, 10:57 PM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Default changing calibers on a p14 ?

is it possable to rechamber a p14 in a .45/70 ? im wanting to build a cannon out of my sporterized p14 action and im not sure if the action would be able to handle any extra pressures and what modifications i would have to make to the bolt en order to get it to feed a 45/70 rounds and i dont know where to look for a barrel either and im not sure how technical it is to switch a barrel i have taken gunsmithing college courses and have read on switching barrel but have never done it is it something a novice could do under the suppervision of a expert or is it somthing that only a seasoned veteran should try ?

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 11-22-2010, 11:06 PM   #2
FTF_MODERATOR.png

Liked 6026 Times on 3157 Posts
Likes Given: 432

i dont tink it would work. the bolt isnt large enough to grind it big enough to fit the 45-70 cartridge. there isnt enough chamber to re-chamber it. the amount of money it would take to buy a new barrel and bolt big enough. you could just buy a nice rifle in 45-70.

"Gun control: The theory that a woman found dead in an alley, raped and strangled with her panty hose, is somehow morally superior to a woman explaining to police how her attacker got that fatal bullet wound." — L. Neil Smith

The problem with being stupid is you cannot simply decide to stop doing dumb things...

Old 11-22-2010, 11:15 PM   #3

what calibers are available ? what about a .308

Old 11-23-2010, 01:27 AM   #4
FTF_MODERATOR.png

Liked 6026 Times on 3157 Posts
Likes Given: 432

308 winchester is a common conversion for the 303 britsh chambered rifles. there are lots of equipment out there to do it. just make sure your particular P14 is up to snuff for it. take it to a gunsmith that knows the ins and outs to determine exactly which version you have. some of the P14 versions are drastically weaker than others. only a detailed inspection by an expert can make certain.

"Gun control: The theory that a woman found dead in an alley, raped and strangled with her panty hose, is somehow morally superior to a woman explaining to police how her attacker got that fatal bullet wound." — L. Neil Smith

The problem with being stupid is you cannot simply decide to stop doing dumb things...

Old 11-23-2010, 01:48 AM   #5

Liked 60 Times on 46 Posts
Likes Given: 45

What is it chambered for now? I can't see any financialy logical reason to switch to .308. If it is a 30.06 its already more versitile than .308. If it is 303 you would have to shoot a lot of rounds to pay for the difference in the cost of ammo. If it shoots well leave it alone and buy a "cannon".

"War is an ugly thing, but not the ugliest of things. The decayed and degraded state of moral and patriotic feeling, which thinks nothing is worth war, is worse. A man who has nothing which he cares more about than his own personal safety is a miserable creature, and has no chance of being free unless he is made free and kept so by the exertions of better men than himself" John Stuart Mill
A government which robs Peter to pay Paul can always depend on the support of
Paul.

Old 11-23-2010, 01:57 AM   #6
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 1175 Times on 510 Posts
Likes Given: 2978

Siamese Mausers make great 45/70 conversions and you can find 45/70's from Gibbs.

“If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains set lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that ye were our countrymen.”Samuel Adams

Old 11-23-2010, 12:26 PM   #7

the reason im wantching to chane calibers is to make the rifle appial to somone to buy it im trying to sell it but th .303round s not rally in demand around here

Old 11-23-2010, 12:44 PM   #8

Liked 60 Times on 46 Posts
Likes Given: 45

If it hasnt been altered it may be worth more as it is. There are a lot, maybe more, people interested in it the way it is. Myself for one. Can post pictures?

"War is an ugly thing, but not the ugliest of things. The decayed and degraded state of moral and patriotic feeling, which thinks nothing is worth war, is worse. A man who has nothing which he cares more about than his own personal safety is a miserable creature, and has no chance of being free unless he is made free and kept so by the exertions of better men than himself" John Stuart Mill
A government which robs Peter to pay Paul can always depend on the support of
Paul.

Old 11-23-2010, 01:13 PM   #9

Liked 36 Times on 30 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1bigtarge View Post
the reason im wantching to chane calibers is to make the rifle appial to somone to buy it im trying to sell it but th .303round s not rally in demand around here
You best bet would be to rechamber into a popular cartridge like the 30-06 or 7mm rem mag. Something like that

Old 11-23-2010, 02:15 PM   #10
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 35 Times on 28 Posts
Likes Given: 9

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1bigtarge View Post

If you are trying to sell it, post a price and pics in the correct forum area and I'm sure it will go quickly. I hate it when old milsurps get "converted" or "pimped" out. I'd rather restore it than bugger it up. You wanna buy a cannon, buy a cannon (just my .02).