Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com

Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/)
-   General Rifle Discussion (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f18/)
-   -   changing barrels (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f18/changing-barrels-73431/)

WhelanLad 09-30-2012 01:06 PM

changing barrels

Hi guys, CGN is down for maintenance, just want to ask a Question.

Can you screw a Winchester barrel onto a Browning rifle?

an also does this apply throughout or do most barrels have the same thread an could be put onto different rifle setups?

cheers

hiwall 09-30-2012 01:16 PM

all companies use different threads

WhelanLad 09-30-2012 01:21 PM

Oki, I see ...
was thinking of Screwing off a barrel of 300wsm for somethin else for a while.

Noticed a few barrels for sale off.different brands of rifles an Asked the Q..
cheers hiwall

c3shooter 09-30-2012 02:44 PM

1 Attachment(s)
IMPORTANT SAFETY NOTE

If you do not check and set the headspace when unscrewing and replacing a barrel of a high powered rifle, please inform other shooters at the range prior to firing it for the first time.

This will give them the opportunity to move beyond the likely path of fragments of the gun, permit them to avoid being splashed with human body fluids, and avoid listening to screams of pain, as well as bypass that lengthy filling out of witness statements for the coroner, etc.

Attachment 61471

WhelanLad 09-30-2012 03:16 PM

Is your gunsmith dodgy mate?
id hope you had trust an faith in your 'smith BEFORE sending off your rifle for such work.

thanks

c3shooter 10-01-2012 12:57 AM

Ah, Whelan me lad- nowhere did you say "send it off to your gunsmith".:D And sure, I would be expecting a competent smith to set and check headspace on any firearm where he had replaced the barrel.

But sometimes a hobbyist decides he can use a vise and a wrench to unscrew one, and screw on another. (Do it yourself) That will usually end badly. And your post indicated that might be the case here.

If we have failed to communicate, I apologize.

Txhillbilly 10-01-2012 04:13 AM

WhelanLad,Now if you had a Savage,you could swap barrels out yourself in just a matter of minutes with the correct tools.
I swap barrels on mine all the time,takes about 1/2 hr to do a swap unless I have to change out the bolt head,then it takes around an hour.
Like c3 said,you have to set/check the headspace whenever you do a barrel swap.Go/No Go gauges are cheap insurance policies.

greydog 10-02-2012 05:39 AM

To answer the OP's question directly, No, the Winchester barrel will not screw onto a Browning. It will screw onto a Ruger but headspace is unlikely to be correct.
Some manufacturers use the same thread and some even use similar headspace and tenon length dimensions but most are unique to the brand.
The Brownings are unique.
In many cases the barrel can be re-threaded to fit a different receiver but this requires some machining ability and knowledge, of course. Once a person gets into re-threading, etc., the job becomes complex enought fitting a new barrel is not much more diffiult. GD

Vikingdad 10-02-2012 05:45 AM

Just because you can screw it together doesn't mean doing so won't screw it up.

WhelanLad 10-02-2012 10:08 AM

Cheers GD that is a good response..