changed my mind
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Long Guns > General Rifle Discussion > changed my mind

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-23-2009, 02:13 AM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Default changed my mind

some of you may remember i was talking about having a custom 300 wm built, and i was somewhat serious about this until i thought about it for a few months and realized that i would be putting somewhere in the 4000 dollar range into a rifle that would be built by someone who i dont trust completely. I found a few guys im sure could do the job but its alot of money and im not positive that they could build 4000 dollars worth of rifle for the 4000 dollar price tag. Sure it would be nice to have a super heavy magnum rifle that i could shoot 3/4 of a mile with, but do i need that? no, is there a range anywhere around me to facilitate that ? no, is there anywhere in central illinois that you could even shoot that far? not that i know of. So ive decided to set my sights a little lower and think about what i need and what i can use, instead of what looks cool in magazines.

So i asked who makes an extremely well made precision varmint rifle for coyotes and other small animals and atrgets out to 500 but more realistically 350-400, so with those thoughts in mind i am favoring the savage heavily, in .22-250 what do you think?Savage Arms Model 12 Long Range Precisison Varminter (Repeater)

it has almost every feature i want, and the heavy barrel is hard to find in production guns.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 06-23-2009, 03:11 AM   #2

Liked 5 Times on 5 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hot Sauce NARC View Post
some of you may remember i was talking about having a custom 300 wm built, and i was somewhat serious about this until i thought about it for a few months and realized that i would be putting somewhere in the 4000 dollar range into a rifle that would be built by someone who i dont trust completely. I found a few guys im sure could do the job but its alot of money and im not positive that they could build 4000 dollars worth of rifle for the 4000 dollar price tag. Sure it would be nice to have a super heavy magnum rifle that i could shoot 3/4 of a mile with, but do i need that? no, is there a range anywhere around me to facilitate that ? no, is there anywhere in central illinois that you could even shoot that far? not that i know of. So ive decided to set my sights a little lower and think about what i need and what i can use, instead of what looks cool in magazines.

So i asked who makes an extremely well made precision varmint rifle for coyotes and other small animals and atrgets out to 500 but more realistically 350-400, so with those thoughts in mind i am favoring the savage heavily, in .22-250 what do you think?Savage Arms Model 12 Long Range Precisison Varminter (Repeater)

it has almost every feature i want, and the heavy barrel is hard to find in production guns.
I read the review of the new Model 12 in Shooting Times a couple of months ago, and it received high praise. The Model 12 Palma was rated as being one of the most accurate out-of-the-box standard production rifles made. No other manufacturer even comes close for the price. If I had $1500 I would buy one!
Pain is Weakness Leaving the Body - USMC
"Qui desiderat pacem, praeparet bellum"

Last edited by RL357Mag; 06-23-2009 at 03:20 AM.

Old 06-23-2009, 03:13 AM   #3
Crazy Azz Redneck
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 1255 Times on 712 Posts
Likes Given: 598

You would be happy with any of the heavy barreled Savage guns. They are very accurate out of the box,and the Accutrigger is hard to beat. Howa and CZ also make some accurate rifles for a decent price. Remington 700 has always been a good choice,but IMO there quality has gone away in the past few years.
22-250 is also a great caliber for varmits,but I'm partial to the 300WM.I have a pre-Accutrigger Savage FLP110 with a Choate stock and love it. I think I have around $1500 in the whole setup.

Old 06-23-2009, 03:29 AM   #4

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

ya pretty much everything ive read about the savage is good to excellent but im also going to have to learn how to hand load because the factory offerings leave alot to be desired compared to some custom hand loads, and i figure 22-250 will be a little easier caliber to get into reloading with

Old 06-23-2009, 03:37 AM   #5

Liked 1424 Times on 808 Posts
Likes Given: 1290

Quote:

I think its a great idea and could you give me the remaining 2800$ so I can pay for my Yost/BHP conversion?

http://i1060.photobucket.com/albums/...ps18cfbeae.jpg

Get her dirty, then clean her so she starts to respect you. When her trust is complete, she will serve you well for a lifetime!

"...if doves shot back, there wouldn't be a need for a bag limit."
- orangello

Old 06-23-2009, 03:54 AM   #6

Liked 17 Times on 12 Posts

Just stepping in to say those Accu-triggers on the Savages are damn sweet!

From C3Shooter:
Skullcrusher, you are evil, sick, demented, twisted- and my hero!

Quote:
Originally Posted by pandamonium View Post
...without the Second, we cannot protect the rest!

Old 06-23-2009, 03:57 AM   #7

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by canebrake View Post
I think its a great idea and could you give me the remaining 2800$ so I can pay for my Yost/BHP conversion?
wait a minute that sounds like me re distributing part or all of my wealth.....what failed Russian originated socio-economic system is that.......wait a minute CANE is a COMMUNIST......COMMUNIST everyone CANE is a COMMY

Lets do this the American way how bout you learn to build rifles better than anyone by working hard for years and then ill let you over charge me for a build and you can use that (which we call profit) to buy ur BHP

in all seriousness tho CANE your about the least communist person i can recall

Last edited by Hot Sauce NARC; 06-23-2009 at 03:59 AM.

Old 06-23-2009, 04:07 AM   #8

Liked 1424 Times on 808 Posts
Likes Given: 1290

Quote:
wait a minute that sounds like me re distributing part or all of my wealth.....what failed Russian originated socio-economic system is that.......wait a minute CANE is a COMMUNIST......COMMUNIST everyone CANE is a COMMY

Lets do this the American way how bout you learn to build rifles better than anyone by working hard for years and then ill let you over charge me for a build and you can use that (which we call profit) to buy ur BHP

in all seriousness tho CANE your about the least communist person i can recall
Who said redistributing? I said gimmie! Never confuse begging for communism!

http://i1060.photobucket.com/albums/...ps18cfbeae.jpg

Get her dirty, then clean her so she starts to respect you. When her trust is complete, she will serve you well for a lifetime!

"...if doves shot back, there wouldn't be a need for a bag limit."
- orangello

Old 06-23-2009, 04:26 AM   #9

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by canebrake View Post
Who said redistributing? I said gimmie! Never confuse begging for communism!

lol ill remember that next time im in the projects