Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Long Guns > General Rifle Discussion > Challenge:M14 vs G3 vs FAL

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-04-2012, 12:24 PM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts
Likes Given: 9

Default Challenge:M14 vs G3 vs FAL

All of them are considered to be exceptional marksman rifles and excellent battle rifles:.
What would be your weapon of choice?
Type down why.

My vote goes to HK G3(model G3A4)
-German made(Germans are dominant in HQ rifles since the '30.German made= quality assured)
-Much more reliable and with less parts.
-Relatively easy-to-clean.
-Very accurate.
-Great design.Accessories can be added and its modular(You can change its configuration even on the field in any moment)

What I don't like:
-A little too ''loudy'' when you load it.
-Maybe a little to heavy
-Maybe a little too long(But if we take in consideration its accuracy, I can forget about this issue)

Last edited by theeuropeangoth; 12-04-2012 at 12:59 PM.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 12-04-2012, 12:52 PM   #2

Liked 223 Times on 139 Posts

Prolly an m1a,those short barrel FAL variants dsa makes are pretty dang slick too though

Old 12-04-2012, 02:51 PM   #3
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 5073 Times on 2885 Posts
Likes Given: 4237

G3
Fal
M-14

The G-3 has no gas system. A really BIG advantage. As rugged and reliable as the AK series. Trigger really sux.

Fal and M14 more ergonomic by far, but the ancient "piston" type gas systems and the wooden furniture relegate them to curio status.

"Politics is the art of the possible" Otto von Bismarck.

bluez Likes This 
Old 12-04-2012, 08:01 PM   #4
FTF_MODERATOR.png
Feedback Score: 1 reviews

Liked 2547 Times on 1338 Posts
Likes Given: 192

Since my first "battle rifle" was an HK-91 (found one on the cheap 20 years ago), I vote German. I believe they are shorter than the other two in standard trim. Mags are WAY cheaper. Uber reliable.

If I had to do it all over again today, I would go M1A. Cheaper than HK and very accurate. American made is a plus.

AND Loctus, have you never seen the FAL or M1A with synthetic furniture? Of course they are avaiable sans the wood. Curio? I think not.

In life, strive to take the high road....It offers a better field of fire.
"Robo is right" Fuzzball

Old 12-05-2012, 04:14 PM   #5
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Even with synthetic furniture, they still suffer from that old "piston" style gas system.

Old 12-05-2012, 07:38 PM   #6
FTF_MODERATOR.png

Liked 5101 Times on 2651 Posts
Likes Given: 309

A big negative in my book on the g3 are the diopter rear sights. I cant stand em.

I would hesitate to call any of em great in the accuracy department out of the box. Adequate for battle use yes but not great. The m1a or m14 can be accurized to great extent but it costs a lot of moola you coulda used to just get a better gun to start with. Then with all three you got issues with optics mounting.

"Gun control: The theory that a woman found dead in an alley, raped and strangled with her panty hose, is somehow morally superior to a woman explaining to police how her attacker got that fatal bullet wound." — L. Neil Smith

The problem with being stupid is you cannot simply decide to stop doing dumb things...

Old 12-06-2012, 02:15 AM   #7

Liked 81 Times on 61 Posts
Likes Given: 25

I would go with the M14/M1A. Unmatched in accuracy and reliability, ammo available anywhere. The only minus to me is weight, but hell, I'm 60 with a bad back. At times, my Mini-14 is too heavy for me to fire standing, because of my back.
With that said, I would still go with the M14/M1A.

Jim.......

Visit me on FaceBook at Alvord Limited Custom Gunsmithing.
CA357 Likes This 
Old 12-06-2012, 02:07 PM   #8
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Quote:
Originally Posted by JonM View Post
A big negative in my book on the g3 are the diopter rear sights. I cant stand em.

I would hesitate to call any of em great in the accuracy department out of the box. Adequate for battle use yes but not great. The m1a or m14 can be accurized to great extent but it costs a lot of moola you coulda used to just get a better gun to start with. Then with all three you got issues with optics mounting.

Excellent points.

Old 12-07-2012, 02:20 AM   #9

Liked 1907 Times on 1140 Posts
Likes Given: 404

For best overall I would go with the FAL. Good ergonomics. Simple reliable action. adjustable gas system for ammo/weather/dirtiness conditions and more gentle shooting.

Not super accurate out of the box but can be made into an accurate platform that requires little special maintenence to keep it there.

M1A. Again a good relaible design with a long sight radiaus and excellent sights. Still not super accurate out of the box. The open action lacks some rigidity and ability to mount optics easily in a good economic way. The wood stock with a pinched in action requires bedding to get a stable set for teh action and the bedding needs to be redone from time to time, or the entire stock platform has to be replaced.

G3. Harsh but reliable action. Ergos are not that great. Can be made accurate, but not cheaply. (See PSG 1 prices for an accuracy platform). Hard on brass.

Actually all three are probably a bit dated. All are best in their battle rifle configurations.

Old 12-07-2012, 01:27 PM   #10
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 27 Times on 18 Posts
Likes Given: 68

Ditto the M14

“Life’s tough … it’s even tougher if you’re stupid.”
John Wayne