Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com

Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/)
-   General Rifle Discussion (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f18/)
-   -   Challenge:M14 vs G3 vs FAL (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f18/challenge-m14-vs-g3-vs-fal-77678/)

theeuropeangoth 12-04-2012 12:24 PM

Challenge:M14 vs G3 vs FAL

All of them are considered to be exceptional marksman rifles and excellent battle rifles:.
What would be your weapon of choice?
Type down why.

My vote goes to HK G3(model G3A4)
-German made(Germans are dominant in HQ rifles since the '30.German made= quality assured)
-Much more reliable and with less parts.
-Relatively easy-to-clean.
-Very accurate.
-Great design.Accessories can be added and its modular(You can change its configuration even on the field in any moment)

What I don't like:
-A little too ''loudy'' when you load it.
-Maybe a little to heavy
-Maybe a little too long(But if we take in consideration its accuracy, I can forget about this issue)
http://img334.imageshack.us/img334/2431/sg1l13rw.jpg

Jstrong 12-04-2012 12:52 PM

Prolly an m1a,those short barrel FAL variants dsa makes are pretty dang slick too though

locutus 12-04-2012 02:51 PM

G3
Fal
M-14

The G-3 has no gas system. A really BIG advantage. As rugged and reliable as the AK series. Trigger really sux.

Fal and M14 more ergonomic by far, but the ancient "piston" type gas systems and the wooden furniture relegate them to curio status.

robocop10mm 12-04-2012 08:01 PM

Since my first "battle rifle" was an HK-91 (found one on the cheap 20 years ago), I vote German. I believe they are shorter than the other two in standard trim. Mags are WAY cheaper. Uber reliable.

If I had to do it all over again today, I would go M1A. Cheaper than HK and very accurate. American made is a plus.

AND Loctus, have you never seen the FAL or M1A with synthetic furniture? Of course they are avaiable sans the wood. Curio? I think not.

locutus 12-05-2012 04:14 PM

Even with synthetic furniture, they still suffer from that old "piston" style gas system.

JonM 12-05-2012 07:38 PM

A big negative in my book on the g3 are the diopter rear sights. I cant stand em.

I would hesitate to call any of em great in the accuracy department out of the box. Adequate for battle use yes but not great. The m1a or m14 can be accurized to great extent but it costs a lot of moola you coulda used to just get a better gun to start with. Then with all three you got issues with optics mounting.

masterPsmith 12-06-2012 02:15 AM

I would go with the M14/M1A. Unmatched in accuracy and reliability, ammo available anywhere. The only minus to me is weight, but hell, I'm 60 with a bad back. At times, my Mini-14 is too heavy for me to fire standing, because of my back.
With that said, I would still go with the M14/M1A.

Jim.......

locutus 12-06-2012 02:07 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JonM (Post 1040327)
A big negative in my book on the g3 are the diopter rear sights. I cant stand em.

I would hesitate to call any of em great in the accuracy department out of the box. Adequate for battle use yes but not great. The m1a or m14 can be accurized to great extent but it costs a lot of moola you coulda used to just get a better gun to start with. Then with all three you got issues with optics mounting.

Excellent points.

SSGN_Doc 12-07-2012 02:20 AM

For best overall I would go with the FAL. Good ergonomics. Simple reliable action. adjustable gas system for ammo/weather/dirtiness conditions and more gentle shooting.

Not super accurate out of the box but can be made into an accurate platform that requires little special maintenence to keep it there.

M1A. Again a good relaible design with a long sight radiaus and excellent sights. Still not super accurate out of the box. The open action lacks some rigidity and ability to mount optics easily in a good economic way. The wood stock with a pinched in action requires bedding to get a stable set for teh action and the bedding needs to be redone from time to time, or the entire stock platform has to be replaced.

G3. Harsh but reliable action. Ergos are not that great. Can be made accurate, but not cheaply. (See PSG 1 prices for an accuracy platform). Hard on brass.

Actually all three are probably a bit dated. All are best in their battle rifle configurations.

rjgnwdc 12-07-2012 01:27 PM

Ditto the M14