Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com

Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/)
-   General Rifle Discussion (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f18/)
-   -   CETME info/avg price?? (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f18/cetme-info-avg-price-15219/)

DrGonzo11 06-29-2009 01:11 AM

CETME info/avg price??

I was considering getting a CETME at the next show. What versions are worth owning (if any?) and what can I expect to pay? And at what price should I just say forget it, too much????

opaww 06-29-2009 09:39 AM

I got Cetme and like it but would of rather got an M-14/M1A I payed a little over $600 a year ago.

c3shooter 06-29-2009 10:41 AM

Note of caution- be suere to check the caliber. CETME has at least one version in 7.62 CETME, which is NOT 7.62 NATO, and DEFINITELY not .308 Winchester.

opaww 06-29-2009 12:44 PM

Some of the things I had trouble with in my Cetme were that it did not like the G-3/H&k 91 Mags at all. I had to buy actual Cetme Mags, which functioned great. My sons Cetme liked any of the Mags you used but his was an original Cetme and not a parts gun.

The extractor has a bent Carter pin that acts as a spring to put pressure in the extractor so it will grab the round to eject. If the carter pin has been straightened out the extractor will not function.

Most parts on a Cetme will interchange with a G-3 and vice versa but there are a few parts that do not and a few need smiting to make them fit the Cetme. The stock of the G-3 will fit a Cetme if you drill a small part of it out and real care must be taken not to trash the stock when doing it.

The weight of the Cetme is a lot more then other rifles and you can get very tired of holding the dam thing up for a long day of shooting.

My Cetme digests almost all factory Milspec ammo however reloads suck with it for the most part along with commercial .308 win.

It is very accurate once you sight it in, however there is no wind age on the rear sight, as is with a real G-3. To adjust the wind age you first get your elevation set then turn the front sight post left or right a little to adjust for the strike of the round horizontally. And then use Kentucky wind age.

Other then what I listed above it is a fun gun to shoot.

AR762 06-29-2009 02:45 PM

I've owned 2 Century CETME's before. I had trouble with both rifles.

In my opinion, save up your money and buy a PTR 91. I think you will have less problems with it, and it will be a factory gun.

I've talked to guy's at the range, who have told me, their Century HK clones (parts kits) where also ammo and mag sensitive.

Every time I see a Century made rifle at the gun show, I have to fight the urge from wanting to run away and start screaming like a little girl on prom night.

Just my thoughts. :D

robocop10mm 06-29-2009 08:31 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by c3shooter (Post 122949)
Note of caution- be suere to check the caliber. CETME has at least one version in 7.62 CETME, which is NOT 7.62 NATO, and DEFINITELY not .308 Winchester.

Some early CETME rifles (experimental) were chambered in the 7.62 CETME. It was a low powered 7.62 X 51 with a 125 gr bullet. None of these rifles were ever exported to the US (if I remember correctly).

Every CETME you find in the US, is chambered for the NATO ammo. Even if it is marked .308, the use of US spec .308 ammo is not recommended. The fluted chamber, delayed blowback action and very violent extraction can and will lead to case separations. Use NATO spec ammo as it has thicker brass and will hold up to the demands of the action (the same is true of HK-91's and PTR's).

The extractor spring looks like a Cotter pin but is spring steel. Never replace with anything but the real deal. Removing one improperly will bugger it up. It should be rotated before removal to avoid over springing it. The action will extract a spent case w/o an extractor. Ejection just becomes a bit iffy.

Bolt gap is the real issue with this system. With any CETME/HK based rifle, the owner must become familiar with the proper procedure for checking bolt gap. Some Century CETME's used bolts that had been ground to create a false gap. Those bolt heads should be discarded and replaced. The back edges of the bolt are slightly beveled on a proper bolt. If the beveling is gone, suspect the bolt has been ground.

In my experience the HK mags should work fine in the CETME, but not visa-versa. The genuine CETME mags has a slight curve to them while the HK mags are straight.

If I was in the market for this type of rifle today, I would look hard at the PTR-91. It seems to be one of the better versions. I have a Century built CETME that luckily is set up correctly. They did goof and get one right on occasion.

DrGonzo11 06-30-2009 12:48 AM

Thanks for the great info guys. It sounds to me like I shouldn't mess with one unless its DIRT cheap, and to save my money for an AR platform .308 because they are about the same price as the PTR-91. Is that about right??

opaww 06-30-2009 01:21 AM

That would be a good choice

AR762 06-30-2009 01:58 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DrGonzo11 (Post 123162)
Thanks for the great info guys. It sounds to me like I shouldn't mess with one unless its DIRT cheap, and to save my money for an AR platform .308 because they are about the same price as the PTR-91. Is that about right??

I also went to the AR platform in .308, after messing around with the CETME's, and never looked back. ;)

DrGonzo11 06-30-2009 04:40 AM

That settles it for me, Thanks fellas!!