Centerfire .22-250?
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Long Guns > General Rifle Discussion > Centerfire .22-250?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-17-2009, 12:32 AM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Default Centerfire .22-250?

My buddy has one of these calibre guns for sale. I checked the gun out today, and it's good shape. He told me that there maybe other grains for this calibre. He has boxes of .125 grain, would be an excellent varmint gun also for wolf. Packs of wolfes have moved into some of hunting areas and must be pushed away or eliminated. I know the .125 grain will take down a wolf, but my main question is will this gun with a heavier grain take down a white tail deer? Does this calibre have other grains?
P.S. I'll tell you short and funny story about the gun. My buddy moved into town today, to a basement apartment. I was sighting up his gun when I focused out I noticed a huge doe whitetail standing right in front of his window. I wouldn't have had too move or adjust my aim at all, it was a perfect kill shot. I don't know if this was some sort of sign to buy this gun.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 11-17-2009, 02:27 PM   #2

Liked 747 Times on 522 Posts
Likes Given: 791

Quote:
Originally Posted by novarman View Post
My buddy has one of these calibre guns for sale. I checked the gun out today, and it's good shape. He told me that there maybe other grains for this calibre. He has boxes of .125 grain, would be an excellent varmint gun also for wolf. Packs of wolfes have moved into some of hunting areas and must be pushed away or eliminated. I know the .125 grain will take down a wolf, but my main question is will this gun with a heavier grain take down a white tail deer? Does this calibre have other grains?
P.S. I'll tell you short and funny story about the gun. My buddy moved into town today, to a basement apartment. I was sighting up his gun when I focused out I noticed a huge doe whitetail standing right in front of his window. I wouldn't have had too move or adjust my aim at all, it was a perfect kill shot. I don't know if this was some sort of sign to buy this gun.
.22-250 does not use a .125gr bullet! It is a .224, same as a .223 cartridge uses. .22-250 is a great long range varmint round. Because of the velocity and bullet construction it is not a great whitetail round. I don't think I would use it on Wolf either, unless head shots are the norm. Because of the rate of twist, the majority of .22-250 use 40..60gr bullets. They have a tough time stablizing heavy projectiles. A great cartridge for 500 yard varmint hunting.
Before you buy it, check the throat for erosion. It could be burnt out. If it is not to bad, a smith could remove the barrel, set it back, and rechamber it. How many rounds down the barrel?

Old 11-18-2009, 02:58 PM   #3

Thanks, that helps with my decision. "somewhat" We also have problems with beavers damning up the creeks on the farm and causing flooding. So this gun would be perfect too solve that problem. Don't get me wrong here, I enjoy watching wildlife more than killing it, but when it becomes a nuisance thats when I take action.

Old 11-19-2009, 04:49 PM   #4

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by novarman View Post
Thanks, that helps with my decision. "somewhat" We also have problems with beavers damning up the creeks on the farm and causing flooding. So this gun would be perfect too solve that problem. Don't get me wrong here, I enjoy watching wildlife more than killing it, but when it becomes a nuisance thats when I take action.
I suggest doing more research on the calibers you're looking for for the different forms of wildlife you're wanting to take on. About the smallest cartridge ,IMO, for white tail would be either .243 or .270 (the latter being the prefered in my opinion).. Checking for throat errosion is a smart move for the 22-250. Although not as fast as the 220 swift or the 204 ruger, it's still a very good and fast small caliber varmint round and is prone to "shooting out" barrels.

BTW... welcome

Old 11-30-2009, 03:15 PM   #5

Thanks for your input on this rifle. I will not be purchasing this rifle. For those people from Ontario I have read up on rules and regulations, and I'm now fully aware that beavers cannot be shot in Ontario, only trapped and you need a trapping licence to do so.
Thanks again Novarman.