Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com

Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/)
-   General Rifle Discussion (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f18/)
-   -   Carcano, a thrifty idea? (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f18/carcano-thrifty-idea-92829/)

308Wins 06-24-2013 09:32 PM

Carcano, a thrifty idea?

I've been contemplating one for about a year now, and for a bit I thought I might as well get a Mosin because it's so popular. I saw several at a gun show yesterday, and I'm just staring them thinking "this isn't for me...". A high-powered, bolt action rifle still, but that's all it is to me.
So I got back to thinking about the Carcano. I checked out some online auctions, and they aren't terribly much more expensive. I haven't gotten to fire one before, but I want to have one of my own to go shooting with =).
My questions are...
-Are they reliable?
-How's the ammo cost?
-At how far are they accurate?
-I'd really like a 91/38, are they hard to find?
-What do you think would be a preferred environment to buy one at?

marc29th 06-24-2013 10:12 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 308Wins (Post 1285700)
I've been contemplating one for about a year now, and for a bit I thought I might as well get a Mosin because it's so popular. I saw several at a gun show yesterday, and I'm just staring them thinking "this isn't for me...". A high-powered, bolt action rifle still, but that's all it is to me.
So I got back to thinking about the Carcano. I checked out some online auctions, and they aren't terribly much more expensive. I haven't gotten to fire one before, but I want to have one of my own to go shooting with =).
My questions are...
-Are they reliable?
-How's the ammo cost?
-At how far are they accurate?
-I'd really like a 91/38, are they hard to find?
-What do you think would be a preferred environment to buy one at?

- Are they reliable - No
- How's the ammo cost - box of 20 for $20 for new PPU ammo
- How far are they accurate - ask Lee Harvey Oswald... but most people aren't very accurate with them
- 91/38 are they hard to find - not hard but not easy to find either
- preferred environment to buy one - probably online auction site or gun show, otherwise hit or miss at gun shops

308Wins 06-24-2013 10:46 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by marc29th

- Are they reliable - No
- How's the ammo cost - box of 20 for $20 for new PPU ammo
- How far are they accurate - ask Lee Harvey Oswald... but most people aren't very accurate with them
- 91/38 are they hard to find - not hard but not easy to find either
- preferred environment to buy one - probably online auction site or gun show, otherwise hit or miss at gun shops

"Oswald got off three shots in only SIX seconds, with an old Italian bolt action rifle, including a headshot!"
88 yards away

marc29th 06-24-2013 11:47 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 308Wins (Post 1285763)

"Oswald got off three shots in only SIX seconds, with an old Italian bolt action rifle, including a headshot!"
88 yards away

So they say ;-)

mountainman13 06-25-2013 12:34 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 308Wins (Post 1285763)

88 yards away

From two different directions no less. Lmfao

donthav1 06-25-2013 12:43 AM

some of them had a progressive twist in the rifling, it would start at say 1 in 25 & gradually tighten up. when these guns had the barrel shortened to be sporterized, which many of them did, the accuracy disappeared. best to try & find an original un altered one.

the one I had cycled really well but wasn't real accurate, kinda looked like a shotgun pattern on the target at 100 yards. yes, mine was one the of shortened ones.

SSGN_Doc 06-25-2013 12:44 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mountainman13 (Post 1285876)
From two different directions no less. Lmfao

There is a pretty good documentary where they duplicated the Oswald shots and wind conditions and the skull fracture patterns, the brain/blood spray patterns, and even the magic bullet all were reproduced on first shots from Oswald's position. They tried other theorized positions and systematically ruled them out.

It was a pretty good show. Think it was called "Inside The Kennedy Car" or something like that.

As far a Carcano's go. Finding a variety of sources for ammo, and the need to use a Mannlicher Carcano clip inside the mag for them to be a repeater, makes them a bit less desirable. Quality varied a bit through the years.

therewolf 06-25-2013 12:47 AM

I'm half tempted to sell you mine.

In some circles, they are considered very

accurate.

They have progressive rifling.

I can't get mine to cycle 2 additional rounds in under

45 seconds, but you'd have to judge that for yourself.

The government's never lied to us before, right?

IMO, if you can get an M44, 91/38, or any other Mosin

carbine, it's a far better rifle. There are clean Polish

Mosin M44s available, which are unfired, and in near-mint condition.

308Wins 06-25-2013 12:52 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SSGN_Doc

There is a pretty good documentary where they duplicated the Oswald shots and wind conditions and the skull fracture patterns, the brain/blood spray patterns, and even the magic bullet all were reproduced on first shots from Oswald's position. They tried other theorized positions and systematically ruled them out.

It was a pretty good show. Think it was called "Inside The Kennedy Car" or something like that.

As far a Carcano's go. Finding a variety of sources for ammo, and the need to use a Mannlicher Carcano clip inside the mag for them to be a repeater, makes them a bit less desirable. Quality varied a bit through the years.

As many documentaries as I watch, I'm thinking one of the half-dozen JFK assassination videos I've seen was the same one. I remember the magic bullet, but IMO, unless Oswald truthfully told them what happened, they're never gonna know for sure

308Wins 06-25-2013 12:55 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by therewolf
I'm half tempted to sell you mine.

In some circles, they are considered very

accurate.

They have progressive rifling.

I can't get mine to cycle 2 additional rounds in under

45 seconds, but you'd have to judge that for yourself.

IMO, if you can get an M44, 91/38, or any other Mosin

carbine, it's a far better rifle. There are clean Polish

Mosin M44s available, which are unfired, and in near-mint condition.

I still really like the Mosin rifle, but it just doesn't feel like it has the infamy of the Carcano that I'm looking for. And nah, I'll be searching for a semi-smooth bolt