Carbine/Short Barrel for me
You are Unregistered, please register to use all of the features of FirearmsTalk.com!    
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Long Guns > General Rifle Discussion > Carbine/Short Barrel for me

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-11-2011, 08:00 PM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 112 Times on 78 Posts
Likes Given: 87

Default Carbine/Short Barrel for me

Hey guys. Although I don't have the means to actually make a purchase right now I want to start looking at some sportster style rifes. I like the idea of the Mini-14 as ammo is going to widely available and relatively cheap. Also really love that style of breech bolt.

If you guys are aware of any other notable rifles in medium-small caliber I would appreciate the recommendation. It doesn't need to be semi-auto, but a quicker action is appealing.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 09-12-2011, 01:23 PM   #2

Liked 2610 Times on 1483 Posts
Likes Given: 2004

My two favorites are my Mosin M44, and my Marlin 1894 lever action .44,

in that order.

Ammo's dirt cheap (in bulk) for the Mosin.

And the Marlin, well, it's a lever action .44.

Recoil pads aren't really optional...

The Henry H001 is a lever action 22LR which is a lot of fun.

Last edited by therewolf; 09-12-2011 at 01:25 PM.

Old 09-12-2011, 05:54 PM   #3

Liked 304 Times on 202 Posts
Likes Given: 6

Default what you useing it for?

if its 150 yards most anything that shoots a pistol round will do.

economy of ammo? ammo cost and consumption.

a good scoped bolt gun in .223rem like a Savage?

Sum used iron like the ones below?

a Rossi Puma 92 leveraction comes in most the common revolver calibers
on up to really stout stuff like the 454Cas,480 Ruger and the 500 S&W
The Thunderbolt pump carbine in .45colt
Ruger 96/44 in .44mag leveraction
Ruger .44 Deerfield Carbine semi auto
SKS Milsurp shoots the 7.62x39
Winchester 100 in .308 or .243 win?
Pump .30-06 remington? they come with 18" barrels
20ga double barrel coach gun and shoot slugs or buckshot

Last edited by Rex in OTZ; 09-12-2011 at 06:09 PM.

Old 09-13-2011, 05:58 PM   #4

Liked 27 Times on 22 Posts
Likes Given: 7

What will the rifle be used for? Hunting? Self Defense? Plinking?

I tend to lean toward carbines for most of my rifles, for the most part just because they will reach out further than a pistol, but not too long and heavy. I'm not a hunter of large game, but have been known to knock down a varmint or two with my short barrel 10/22.

I own a Mini-14 and have had it for about 15 years without a single problem. I also have an AR with 16" barrel. Both of those were bought as SHTF guns and are often found in the back of my cars, "just in case."

Ruger also makes a Mini-30, that will shoot 7.62 x 39 ammo "AK-47" ammo, which is readily available in many parts of the country.
Retired Police Detective '71-'01 / LEOSA Certified
Naval Aviation Veteran '65-'69

United States Constitution (c) 1791
All Rights Reserved

Old 09-13-2011, 07:06 PM   #5
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 5738 Times on 3362 Posts
Likes Given: 4877

I have really enjoyed my SKS. Under $400 set up just like i want it. SKS's don't lend themselves to easy scope attachment, though.

Old 09-15-2011, 06:17 AM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by pioneer461 View Post
What will the rifle be used for? Hunting? Self Defense? Plinking?

I tend to lean toward carbines for most of my rifles, for the most part just because they will reach out further than a pistol, but not too long and heavy. I'm not a hunter of large game, but have been known to knock down a varmint or two with my short barrel 10/22.

I own a Mini-14 and have had it for about 15 years without a single problem. I also have an AR with 16" barrel. Both of those were bought as SHTF guns and are often found in the back of my cars, "just in case."

Ruger also makes a Mini-30, that will shoot 7.62 x 39 ammo "AK-47" ammo, which is readily available in many parts of the country.
Good question. I'd really like something in .223 to .308, but I also need something I can shoot a lot. I'm just looking for a good multipurpose rife. I figure a .22 (10/22) is at least going to get me started, even if I can't use it for hunting larger game practically. It can at least be used as a stop gap until I graduate and get some real cash flow. All I've got is an 870. But I don't know really....

I think I've just decided to make a major life change. I'm frustrated with the condition of society, and the complacency of many people including myself. I'm chronically depressed and addicted to a constant stream of stimulation -aka my computer screen- and my studies are suffering heavily because of it. From the looks of things my dad is going to be out of a job because he lost his voice as a freak side effect from a medical procedure and the future is just really uncertain for me and my whole family right now. Maybe I might join the military if able (I have my own medical condition that may make fitness training too painful to bear). I just really need to shake things up in my life by any avenue possible and I'm just not sure how to do it.

I don't know why I'm telling all of you guys this, but there it is.

Last edited by tCan; 09-15-2011 at 01:18 PM.

Old 09-15-2011, 06:00 PM   #7
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 5738 Times on 3362 Posts
Likes Given: 4877

A good .22 can be very fun and inexpensive. The 10-22 is a good lil rifle and has lots of accessories for customization; the marlin model 60 is another rifle with fewer add-on's but nice accuracy.

Well, best wishes on all that, man; sometimes it gets really dark right before dawn. Hang in there.

Old 09-16-2011, 01:10 AM   #8

Liked 4 Times on 4 Posts

If you have a place to shoot it, I think you should get a 10/22 and spend whatever cash you can spiffing it up however you want. My first gun with which I was actually seriously into training was my 10/22, and I put a few hundred rounds per week in aggressive excersizes and drills (I shot the turn signal out of my vehicle using it as "cover" once ).

I do get your point about finding an interesting hobby to help pull you out of that funk you're in. A 10/22 has the parts availability to customize literally however you want (the only thing you can't do is make it centerfire or make it shoot backwards :P ) .

If you still want a rifle-caliber, the Kel-Tec SU16 series (.223, uses AR mags) is my favorite for the money.

But yeah, whatever uses you dream up for a firearm, we can point you in the right direction .

Old 09-16-2011, 02:52 AM   #9

Thank you Linden! This is exactly what I was looking for. It's cheaper than the mini-14, by a good bit. Ugly gun maybe, but doable especially for the price. That SU-16 looks like a very nice all around gun. The mag in the stock is a nice touch. Adds some additional SHTF functionality. The weight IS on the light side, but I'm sure it's easier to add weight than it is to remove it. The Mag holder would probably lend itself to work with something modular and home made. Pop in some extra weight to tame the recoil a bit, or take it out to save on weight. Very nice!

Still might go with the Ruger 10/22 to start of with though (money is a huge factor), but that's very nice to know about.

Thanks everyone else for your suggestions also, they gave me some very good starting points.

Old 09-16-2011, 12:08 PM   #10

Liked 2610 Times on 1483 Posts
Likes Given: 2004

IMO, you want something you are going to enjoy shooting

at the range, no matter what the gun's actual purpose may

be.

One popular idea from which I have benefited, to improve

accuracy, is to get a 22LR

similar to the larger caliber rifle of your choice. David Petzal

of Field and Stream recently recommended this,

(in a F&S article--I wish I knew DEP) and I've

tried it, and it works.

Last edited by therewolf; 09-17-2011 at 03:06 PM.