CAR (Cowboy Assault Rifle)
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Long Guns > General Rifle Discussion > CAR (Cowboy Assault Rifle)

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-21-2013, 03:29 PM   #1
FTF_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 1175 Times on 510 Posts
Likes Given: 2978

Default The Marlin 336 is finished. With pics.

Completed pics in Post #28

I picked up a Marlin 336 in 30-30 last Saturday. The serial number dates it to 1961.

When I got it home I gave it a good once over and then proceeded to dismantle it. It's missing the sight hood and the magazine tube spacer that goes between the barrel and the tube. At some point a sling swivel was installed where the bullseye goes and the swivel is gone and the area is somewhat gouged out. There's a couple of small gouges on one edge of the foregrip and there's some typical bluing loss and some pitting on the receiver. The barrel and crown are fine and although the rifle is crusty in areas, it's obvious that it was kept cleaned and lubed.

I ordered a mainspring, firing pin spring, mag tube spring, sight hood and mag tube spacer from Brownells and now have to wait until the parts get here.

I'm going to de-junkify the crud, clean any rust, plug the hole in the stock and clean up the forearm gouges as best I can. I'm going to strip the finish off the wood and oil it and replace the springs and missing parts. It's pretty obvious that it was someones hunting rifle and while it's worn and has some issues, they're pretty minor.

We live in the woods now and there isn't a shot over fifty or so yards, so it will be the perfect rifle for here. The only issue now is finding some ammunition. A friend offered me some reloading equipment a while back and I'm going to see if the offer still stands. In the meantime, 30-30 is going for a buck or so a round when it can be found.

I didn't take any pictures of it before I disassembled it, otherwise I'd post them. Right now it just a pile of parts.

“If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains set lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that ye were our countrymen.”Samuel Adams

Last edited by CA357; 01-31-2013 at 11:05 PM.
People Like This 

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 01-21-2013, 05:35 PM   #2

Liked 3735 Times on 1824 Posts
Likes Given: 13269

where does the bowl go?

Member: NRA GOA

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ
Est sularas oth mithas

"either way, you were guilty by association, so you were smited...." JD

People Like This 
Old 01-21-2013, 05:38 PM   #3
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

That holds bran flakes for the robot.

“If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains set lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that ye were our countrymen.”Samuel Adams
People Like This 
Old 01-21-2013, 08:57 PM   #4

Liked 225 Times on 176 Posts
Likes Given: 228

I was thinking of getting a Cowboy Assault Rifle also, only in .357 for my 18th birthday as a home defense carbine.

I'm gonna stop you right there, you just said an AR-15 is a high-powered rifle. It is obvious you don't know anything about guns and I shall ignore anything you say from this point on.

Old 01-21-2013, 09:09 PM   #5
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 5733 Times on 3359 Posts
Likes Given: 4877

Quote:
Originally Posted by Garadex View Post
I was thinking of getting a Cowboy Assault Rifle also, only in .357 for my 18th birthday as a home defense carbine.
I've lusted after a similar 30-30 for quite a while, but some pistol or other always buts in line. The .357 option appeals more nowadays, to match my GP100.

Dead Bears, the only good kind.

Old 01-21-2013, 09:42 PM   #6
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

I had an '94 Marlin in .357 some years back and it was pure fun to shoot.

Old 01-21-2013, 11:59 PM   #7
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

I've got everything cleaned up now. I got an email from Brownells stating that the parts are on the way. Now, if I can only remember where it all goes.

I'm posting some pics of the browning and pitting on the barrel and the pitting on the receiver. I was thinking about cold bluing it, but I'm tempted to leave it be and just keep it oiled. What do you think? Would you reblue it or not?

BTW, the barrel cleaned up beautifully and is in great shape. However the mag tube looked like it had fifty years of burnt powder, mud and rust in it.

Last edited by CA357; 01-22-2013 at 12:01 AM.

Old 01-22-2013, 12:26 AM   #8
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 1216 Times on 683 Posts
Likes Given: 513

Quote:
Originally Posted by dog2000tj View Post
where does the bowl go?
It reflects the satellite pulses.
Old 01-22-2013, 12:57 AM   #9

Liked 1419 Times on 808 Posts
Likes Given: 1290

Quote:
Originally Posted by CA357 View Post
I've got everything cleaned up now. I got an email from Brownells stating that the parts are on the way. Now, if I can only remember where it all goes.

I'm posting some pics of the browning and pitting on the barrel and the pitting on the receiver. I was thinking about cold bluing it, but I'm tempted to leave it be and just keep it oiled. What do you think? Would you reblue it or not?
I think that gun has character and should remain with all its wrinkles and warts intact.

Besides if you pretty it up, some gangster-bear will try to take it from you!

http://i1060.photobucket.com/albums/...ps18cfbeae.jpg

Get her dirty, then clean her so she starts to respect you. When her trust is complete, she will serve you well for a lifetime!

"...if doves shot back, there wouldn't be a need for a bag limit."
- orangello
People Like This 
Old 01-22-2013, 01:48 AM   #10

Liked 52 Times on 33 Posts
Likes Given: 59

Quite a project you've got going. Good luck with getting it the way you want it.

Join the NRA! Stop the Brady madness!

CA357 Likes This