cant seem to get it right
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Long Guns > General Rifle Discussion > cant seem to get it right

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-20-2010, 03:17 PM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Default cant seem to get it right

Ive always had trouble getting my guns spotless but its really starting to piss me off. I just cant seem to get my barrels clean no matter how hard i work at it. Ill only shoot 30 or so rounds and then run solvent laden patched down the bore and then let soak for a couple hours. Followed by extensive brushing with a bronze brush, and then more solvent patches. No matter how many times i repeat this process patches still come out slightly dirty especially after brushing. Using Hoppes copper/lead solvent.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 04-20-2010, 03:30 PM   #2
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 1175 Times on 510 Posts
Likes Given: 2978

Try Hoppe's Bore Gel. Let it sit in there for an hour, then brush and patch. Then use regular bore cleaner.

You may also want to try Sweets. It removes copper fouling.

Bore Gel, than Sweets, than regular bore cleaner. If that doesn't do it, send it to me. You shouldn't have to own a dirty gun.

“If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains set lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that ye were our countrymen.”Samuel Adams

Old 04-20-2010, 08:10 PM   #3

Liked 11 Times on 10 Posts
Likes Given: 3

Check out the Outers Foul Out III. It electroplates the rod with the fouling overnight. Outers Foul Out 3 Bore Cleaning System - MidwayUSA It'll clean MUCH better than scrubbing it.

Sometimes you earthlings REALLY amaze me!

Old 04-20-2010, 11:40 PM   #4

I've been having the same problem with my AR-10. I can clean and clean and clean, yet there always seems to be some copper fouling in it. Once I get some money Ill have to give that outers foul out a try.

-Fred

"Breathe when you can, shoot when you should."
-Rob Leatham

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ!

"Qui desiderat pacem, bellum praeparat; nemo provocare ne offendere audet quem intelliget superiorem esse pugnaturem"

Old 04-21-2010, 02:20 AM   #5

Liked 32 Times on 23 Posts
Likes Given: 45

I start off with Kroil. Swab it in and let it soak over night. Run wet patches through til they come out clean. Wipe it out with a dry patch. Kroil seeps under the fouling and loosens it up.

Then it gets Shooters choice. Patches only, no brush. Let it soak for 10 min and wipe it out. Repeat with wet patches til mostly clean.

Then it gets Hoppes Elite Gel. Same story.

Repeat with Blue Wonder Gel. Same story.

Repeat with Barnes CR (or Sweets). Same story.

I always finish up with Kroil to remove any residue.

The Bench Rest guys out here only use Kroil and patches. They let it soak overnight and swab it out. They keep total round counts through their bbls and say this keeps them shooting great, and they last twice as long as a barrel that is brushed.

Old 04-21-2010, 02:37 AM   #6

Liked 1419 Times on 808 Posts
Likes Given: 1290

Hot, you using a jag?

http://i1060.photobucket.com/albums/...ps18cfbeae.jpg

Get her dirty, then clean her so she starts to respect you. When her trust is complete, she will serve you well for a lifetime!

"...if doves shot back, there wouldn't be a need for a bag limit."
- orangello

Old 04-21-2010, 02:52 AM   #7

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by canebrake View Post
Hot, you using a jag?
by jag i assume u mean the pointy rigged deal that pushes the patch through the bore........and yes i am?

Old 04-21-2010, 10:45 AM   #8

Liked 33 Times on 28 Posts

My 2 match grade ss barrels don't get brushed.

If you are using a potent copper solvent like sweets the copper your getting out may be some off the brush.

I like to use the foaming bore cleaner. It works great. I fill the bore and wait 15 minutes swap out wit hoppes #9 patch then a few dry patches to make sure I got all the hoppes out then I repeat till I get clean patches it may take 2 or 3 times max.

Old 04-21-2010, 10:51 AM   #9

If you really think its still dirty, use some JB bore paste. It will come out of the barrel dirty every time you use it, because that's what it does... its a super mild abrasive... but it will remove what's in there.

Normally you need to clean with two types of products - a fouling remover and a copper remover. Few products are as effective removing both. Personally I patch a fouling solvent until most is gone, then switch to a copper solvent, only use nylon brushes (in my best rifles) or only patches.

Anbother option is to try one of the foaming cleaners... clean the rifle first, put some of the foamy stuff in the barrell, let it sit overnight.

If you're using a brass jag, you will always get some discoloration on your patch because its working on the jag... isn't the jag bright and shiny?

Old 04-22-2010, 02:21 AM   #10

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by stalkingbear View Post
Check out the Outers Foul Out III. It electroplates the rod with the fouling overnight. Outers Foul Out 3 Bore Cleaning System - MidwayUSA It'll clean MUCH better than scrubbing it.
That sounds awesome. I'll have to keep this in mind when I'm looking for new cleaning products. I know my Taurus 1911 has bad copper and lead fouling, I can see it but I cant get it out, no matter the scrubbing.
I'd heard Ballistol is a great way to get the copper, lead, zinc and powder residue to loosen up, but I've never tried it. Anybody have any thoughts on Ballistol for cleaning for removing copper and lead fouling?

I'm already surrounded by half-dead brainless people already, the zombie apocalypse would just give me a reason to be productive and get rid of them.