can't believe the lousy rifle selection
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Long Guns > General Rifle Discussion > can't believe the lousy rifle selection

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-11-2013, 02:36 AM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 99 Times on 65 Posts

Default can't believe the lousy rifle selection

Went yesterday to to the Palm springs area to buy a rifle. I couldn't find a decent rifle any where. Everything I picked up was just junk. Was looking for 308, 30-06 7mm and everyone I picked up was terrible. The bolts all vibrated when pulled out and had a problem with some of them trying to put the bolt back in. So decided to try to find a Remington 700, saw one a couple of weeks back that was great, but it was gone. Now I was just looking at bolt action but I can't believe how lousy they are making rifles these days. I haven't bought a new rifle in 20 years. I was so pissed at the time I said screw it and went and bought a new bow.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 03-11-2013, 03:18 AM   #2

Liked 16 Times on 12 Posts
Likes Given: 12

Have you considered buying a used one online?

Old 03-11-2013, 03:21 AM   #3

Really can't do that in california. Both parties would have to go through a gun dealer.

Old 03-11-2013, 01:00 PM   #4

Liked 6 Times on 5 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crazycastor
Really can't do that in california. Both parties would have to go through a gun dealer.
It's actually really easy. I have done it a couple times.

Old 03-11-2013, 06:52 PM   #5

True, FFL fees need to be paid. But I agree with Trip. For me, living in Virginia, buying on line is relatively easy. I bought the following from online sources over the past two years and have been satisfied with every transaction so far:
1. Savage Model 64, 22LR
2. Del Ton AR15, 223 / 556 NATO
3. Ruger Super Redhawk, 44 Magnum
4. CZ75 BD Police, 9mm
5. Ruger SR1911, 45 ACP
6. Remington 700 BDL, 30-06

Had each purchase sent to my local gun store. They used to charge $25.00 and now its $40.00 per transaction, but even after paying the FFL and shipping charges I've still managed to find better bargians compared to paying retail at a local store. My favorite LGS knows I'd buy from them if they have a good deal on what I want, meanwhile between the FFL they charge and the other things I buy from them, thay are still in busness.

Old 03-11-2013, 10:08 PM   #6

Liked 734 Times on 509 Posts
Likes Given: 761

If you buy from a private seller it is easy also. The law states the firearm needs to be accompanied by a signed copy of an FFL license, it can be your FFL's. Have your FFL fax a signed copy to the seller. The seller packs everything up (no ammo) w/ the copy and ships it to your FFL. They don't need to have it shipped by a local FFL and add more $$ to the transaction.

Freedom is not free. The best of us always leave too soon.

vance Likes This 
Old 03-12-2013, 02:01 AM   #7

This all sounds good but I haven't bought a rifle in a long time so I want to be able to pick it up and look at it, feel the action of the bolt. Not sure what brand or make of rifle I really want. Everything is pretty much new to me the last time I bought a rifle they didn't have senthetic stocks, they were all wooden. Does a senthic stock make it a cheap gun by comparison to a wooden stock? All my rifles are (3 total except 2 .22 rifles) are military and I just wanted to buy myself a new rifle. All my other rifles I have given to to my kids since they live in an area where hunting is a source of putting food on the table during their hard times. So they got the good guns lol.

Old 03-12-2013, 02:11 AM   #8

Liked 112 Times on 78 Posts
Likes Given: 85

Very few bolts dont wiggle when open.... That's normal. Keeps the bolt from getting stuck because of torsional forces when you don't actuate it perfectly.

They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety.

Terry V Ohio Commentary

Old 03-12-2013, 02:52 AM   #9

Sythetic stocks are NO WAY as pretty as Walnut and other woods. That being said, its my understanding that synthetic is new technology and has advantages. Its tougher, does not warp, its stronger and lighter. Its corrosion resistant and has tight dimensional tolerances.

Old 03-12-2013, 04:02 AM   #10

I agree with that. I look at my Glock guns I have and they are pretty tough.