Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com

Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/)
-   General Rifle Discussion (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f18/)
-   -   Canada + AR-15 (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f18/canada-ar-15-a-8689/)

Hard2Shoot 11-25-2008 02:54 PM

Canada + AR-15

anybody know the scoop on purchasing or using an AR-15 in canada. i've found some information on proposed legislation, but i havne't found any concrete details. now in canada i know with Semi auto centrefire rifles you can only carry a 5 rnd mag, but there are all kinds of confusing regs to go along with that. any additional info would be appreciated.

bkt 11-25-2008 03:35 PM

Good question. Some sites say all semi-auto rifles, regardless of caliber, are restricted. Other sites say they're fine if the mag holds 4 or fewer rounds. It seems to me if they're available in gun stores or sporting goods stores, they're probably legal. If they're not available, maybe they're not legal.

As with anyone who asks about gun laws, I'll respond: Check with your local law enforcement. A call to the police may help answer questions. If you're reluctant to do that, call a gun club or gun store. A lawyer well-versed in Canadian firearms laws might be willing to answer your question gratis.

matt g 11-25-2008 03:37 PM

ARs are centerfire.

Hard2Shoot 11-25-2008 04:07 PM

woops, that was a typo!

I tracked down some info and got some answers, incase others are interested.
http://www.ar15.com/lite/forum.html?b=8&f=6

ScottG 11-25-2008 11:12 PM

Do they even have guns in Canada???? :D

I was just in Calgary and you know, I didn't see one scowling face, one pair of droopy pants, one bit of graffiti, or one armed security guard. Maybe they don't need guns there....

Hard2Shoot 11-26-2008 06:46 PM

hey man, we've got some of the best hunting in the world up here. (not that I can use an AR to hunt here). We can't carry here. but the bad guys do.

ScottG 11-26-2008 08:38 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Hard2Shoot (Post 52637)
We can't carry here. but the bad guys do.

B-b-but, that would be against the law!!! :rolleyes:

Sushihunter 11-15-2010 02:39 AM

List of Restricted and Prohibited Firearms

List of Restricted and Prohibited Firearms

There are three categories of firearms for purposes of Canadian law:
貧on-restricted,
瓶estricted, and
頻rohibited.

This fact sheet identifies which firearms are restricted or prohibited, as set out in the Criminal Code and the Criminal Code Regulations. Some firearms are classified on the bases of their physical characteristics, such as barrel length or type of action; others are specified by make and model.

Non-restricted firearms are any rifles and shotguns that are neither restricted nor prohibited. Most common long guns are non-restricted, but there are a few exceptions, as indicated in this fact sheet.

Definition of a Restricted Firearm
According to the Criminal Code, a restricted firearm is:

病 handgun that is not a prohibited firearm;
病 semi-automatic, centre-fire rifle or shotgun with a barrel length less than 470 mm (18.5 inches) that is not prohibited;
病 rifle or shotgun that can fire when its overall length is reduced by folding, telescoping or some other means to less than 660 mm (26 inches);
病ny firearm prescribed as restricted (including some long guns).
Firearms Prescribed as Restricted
This list of restricted firearms specified in the December 1, 1998 Criminal Code regulations includes all firearms that have been restricted by a former Order in Council.

謬he firearms of the designs commonly known as the High Standard Model 10, Series A shotgun and the High Standard Model 10, Series B shotgun, and any variants or modified versions of them.
謬he firearm of the design commonly known as the M-16 rifle, and any variant or modified version of it, including the:
◦Colt AR-15;
◦Colt AR-15 SPI;
◦Colt AR-15 Sporter;
◦Colt AR-15 Collapsible Stock Model;
◦Colt AR-15 A2;
◦Colt AR-15 A2 Carbine;
◦Colt AR-15 A2 Government Model Rifle;
◦Colt AR-15 A2 Government Model Target Rifle;
◦Colt AR-15 A2 Government Model Carbine;
◦Colt AR-15 A2 Sporter II;
◦Colt AR-15 A2 H-BAR;
◦Colt AR-15 A2 Delta H-BAR;
◦Colt AR-15 A2 Delta H-BAR Match;
◦Colt AR-15 9mm Carbine;
■Armalite AR-15;
■AAI M15;
■AP74;
■EAC J-15;
■PWA Commando;
■SGW XM15A;
■SGW CAR-AR;
■SWD AR-15; and,
◦Any 22 calibre rimfire variant, including the:
■Mitchell M-16A-1/22,
■Mitchell M-16/22,
■Mitchell CAR-15/22, and
■AP74 Auto Rifle.

Top of PageDefinition of a Prohibited Firearm
The Criminal Code states that a prohibited firearm is:

病 handgun with a barrel length of 105 mm or less;
病 handgun designed or adapted to discharge 25 or 32 calibre ammunition;
病 rifle or shotgun that has been altered to make it less than 660 mm (26 inches) in overall length;
病 rifle or shotgun that has been altered to make the barrel length less than 457 mm (18 inches) where the overall firearm length is 660 mm (26 inches) or more;
病n automatic firearm and a converted automatic firearm;
病ny firearm prescribed as prohibited.
* Exceptions to the Prohibited Firearm Definition