Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Long Guns > General Rifle Discussion > can someone please help? (ar15 gas block)

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-20-2014, 03:12 AM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Default can someone please help? (ar15 gas block)

so im accessorizing my ar 15 an i almost have it exactly how i want it...unfortunately i know nothing about gas blocks... i have a colt m4 carbine an id really like to take my front gasblock/forward sight off an replace it with an aftermarket block. where im stuck is i have no idea what the diameter of my barrel is and or where to find it? i think its a .750" but as soon as i started looking to buy a new block i noticed there are other diameters to... if someone could help an just share a lil insight on there knowledge of barrels/ gasblocks and or even just let me know that the diameter of my barrel is i would GREATLY APPRECIATE IT. thank you an look forward to any help an insight you may have

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 02-20-2014, 03:31 AM   #2
Camo, you are lucky to see it.
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Location: Eatonville,Washington. My nearest neighbors are cows.
Liked 1607 Times on 889 Posts
Likes Given: 4865

Quote:
Originally Posted by tacticalknowledge View Post
i have no idea what the diameter of my barrel is and or where to find it? i think its a .750" ... even just let me know that the diameter of my barrel
Kinda hard to tell from here. uh.... can you just measure it?

Old 02-20-2014, 04:05 AM   #3

Liked 29 Times on 20 Posts

Id get a micrometer at harbor freight and measure the diameter.

I have a vltor on my AR, I got the set screw one, they make a clamp on too. I also bought a kit to dimple the barrel for the gas block, I also found a kit that you could pin the gas block.

Old 02-20-2014, 07:18 AM   #4

Liked 9 Times on 9 Posts
Likes Given: 21

Quote:
Originally Posted by tacticalknowledge View Post
so im accessorizing my ar 15 an i almost have it exactly how i want it...unfortunately i know nothing about gas blocks... i have a colt m4 carbine an id really like to take my front gasblock/forward sight off an replace it with an aftermarket block. where im stuck is i have no idea what the diameter of my barrel is and or where to find it? i think its a .750" but as soon as i started looking to buy a new block i noticed there are other diameters to... if someone could help an just share a lil insight on there knowledge of barrels/ gasblocks and or even just let me know that the diameter of my barrel is i would GREATLY APPRECIATE IT. thank you an look forward to any help an insight you may have
You would need .750 for the gas block.

Old 02-20-2014, 11:42 AM   #5
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 5309 Times on 2915 Posts
Likes Given: 10142

Pencil barrel .635"
Standard barrel .750"
Bull barrel .936"

No offense and none taken