Can I use modern ammo in a K98?


Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Long Guns > General Rifle Discussion > Can I use modern ammo in a K98?

Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-17-2011, 05:52 PM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
DerHund15's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Posts: 18
Default Can I use modern ammo in a K98?

The barrel looks great, just a little dirty as does the bore. Can I use modern ammo in the rifle? Is it safe,



__________________
DerHund15 is offline  
 
Reply With Quote

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here


Old 12-17-2011, 07:06 PM   #2
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
ArmyGuy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: Modesto,California
Posts: 112
Default

I am no expert, but I have an old GEW 98 that I fire newly manufactured rounds through. It is by no means in great shape meaning you can definitely see pitting and stuff from what I would assume to be corrosive ammo. I've never had a problem with it though, shoots great every time.



__________________
ArmyGuy is offline  
 
Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2011, 07:07 PM   #3
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
ArmyGuy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: Modesto,California
Posts: 112
Default

Although, if you have any doubt at all just have gunsmith check it out first.

__________________
ArmyGuy is offline  
 
Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2011, 08:17 PM   #4
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
jpattersonnh's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: South central,NH
Posts: 4,996
Liked 710 Times on 488 Posts
Likes Given: 730

Default

Original German ammo was fairly hot, I shoot Turkish 7.92x57 that is really hot. You will be fine w/ any modern ammo. The K98 is the standard that all bolt guns that came afterwards strive to be. Where are you located?

__________________

Freedom is not free. The best of us always leave too soon.

jpattersonnh is offline  
 
Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2011, 09:09 PM   #5
Supporting Member
FTF_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
Sniper03's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Location: Tennessee
Posts: 5,219
Liked 2560 Times on 1251 Posts
Likes Given: 1287

Default

15,

If your 8mm Mauser Rifle is in good shape there is no doubt that it will handle modern manufacturer 8mm Mauser Ammunition. The Mauser action is one of the finest ever designed for the time. And if you notice a lot of modern rifles have a very similar bolt with some slight changes. One of the new Remington Rifle Models uses a Mauser type bolt. Parker Hale of the UK used the Mauser type bolt and there are many others! Check the rifle out and have fun. If you have any problems cleaning out the barrel get you some Sweets 7.62 Solvent!
It is bad stuff (as in good!) but do not mix it with any other solvent in the bore when using. Also do not leave it in there for more than 10-15 minutes at a time before dry patching it out. It has a very strong ammonia concentrate! Repeat the process until the bore is clean and then be sure to dry patch any of the 7.62 residue from the barrel. First few times you let it set and work you will be the most beautiful Blue Green color on your patch after letting it set for a few minutes. That is the copper, powder and other residue being dissolved. But it will work on even the stubbornness of barrels as far as removing crud. After you get the bore completely free from any of it's residue. Be sure and run a lube down the bore a few times then patch out the excess lube and you are good to go! Good luck on that new Mauser they are great guns! There also have been too many of the good military models cut down and customized! Makes me want to cry!


03

__________________
Sniper03 is offline  
 
Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2011, 09:50 PM   #6
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
DerHund15's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Posts: 18
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by jpattersonnh
Original German ammo was fairly hot, I shoot Turkish 7.92x57 that is really hot. You will be fine w/ any modern ammo. The K98 is the standard that all bolt guns that came afterwards strive to be. Where are you located?
I'm located in Nevada. I'm testing it out today with some ammunition I bought at a gun show. Thanks for your help.
__________________
DerHund15 is offline  
 
Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2011, 09:52 PM   #7
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
DerHund15's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Posts: 18
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sniper03
15,

If your 8mm Mauser Rifle is in good shape there is no doubt that it will handle modern manufacturer 8mm Mauser Ammunition. The Mauser action is one of the finest ever designed for the time. And if you notice a lot of modern rifles have a very similar bolt with some slight changes. One of the new Remington Rifle Models uses a Mauser type bolt. Parker Hale of the UK used the Mauser type bolt and there are many others! Check the rifle out and have fun. If you have any problems cleaning out the barrel get you some Sweets 7.62 Solvent!
It is bad stuff (as in good!) but do not mix it with any other solvent in the bore when using. Also do not leave it in there for more than 10-15 minutes at a time before dry patching it out. It has a very strong ammonia concentrate! Repeat the process until the bore is clean and then be sure to dry patch any of the 7.62 residue from the barrel. First few times you let it set and work you will be the most beautiful Blue Green color on your patch after letting it set for a few minutes. That is the copper, powder and other residue being dissolved. But it will work on even the stubbornness of barrels as far as removing crud. After you get the bore completely free from any of it's residue. Be sure and run a lube down the bore a few times then patch out the excess lube and you are good to go! Good luck on that new Mauser they are great guns! There also have been too many of the good military models cut down and customized! Makes me want to cry!

03
Thank you very much! I'll be testing it out today, can't wait to see how it goes. I'll pick up some of that as well, thanks for your help.
__________________
DerHund15 is offline  
 
Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2011, 10:05 PM   #8
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
jpattersonnh's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: South central,NH
Posts: 4,996
Liked 710 Times on 488 Posts
Likes Given: 730

Default

We still need pics!

__________________

Freedom is not free. The best of us always leave too soon.

jpattersonnh is offline  
 
Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2011, 10:11 PM   #9
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
DerHund15's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Posts: 18
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by jpattersonnh
We still need pics!
http://s1233.photobucket.com/albums/ff394/MrMauser57/?action=view¤t=2bd55268.jpg&evt=user_media_share

It's a Yugoslavian one, not an original German rifle so it's not very impressive, I enjoy it quite a bit though. I wish I could identify it though, the markings are very odd.
__________________
DerHund15 is offline  
 
Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2011, 01:06 AM   #10
FTF_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
303tom's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Location: Missouri
Posts: 3,639
Liked 1208 Times on 824 Posts
Likes Given: 1217

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by DerHund15 View Post
The barrel looks great, just a little dirty as does the bore. Can I use modern ammo in the rifle? Is it safe,

Yes.............


__________________

When all else fails.

303tom is offline  
 
Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Firearms Forum Replies Last Post
Modern Marvels jordan89 The Club House 6 11-29-2011 07:10 PM
Modern Day Equivalents. Nake48 Auto & Semi-Auto Discussion 3 08-30-2010 02:57 PM
modern day mountain man falseharmonix Survival & Sustenance Living Forum 9 07-12-2010 05:12 AM
? about modern muzzleloaders... supergus General Rifle Discussion 6 10-31-2008 04:17 AM
A Modern Blunderbuss Zappa General Shotgun Discussion 0 05-29-2008 04:05 AM