Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com

Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/)
-   General Rifle Discussion (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f18/)
-   -   Can I use modern ammo in a K98? (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f18/can-i-use-modern-ammo-k98-53739/)

DerHund15 12-17-2011 06:52 PM

Can I use modern ammo in a K98?

The barrel looks great, just a little dirty as does the bore. Can I use modern ammo in the rifle? Is it safe,

ArmyGuy 12-17-2011 08:06 PM

I am no expert, but I have an old GEW 98 that I fire newly manufactured rounds through. It is by no means in great shape meaning you can definitely see pitting and stuff from what I would assume to be corrosive ammo. I've never had a problem with it though, shoots great every time.

ArmyGuy 12-17-2011 08:07 PM

Although, if you have any doubt at all just have gunsmith check it out first.

jpattersonnh 12-17-2011 09:17 PM

Original German ammo was fairly hot, I shoot Turkish 7.92x57 that is really hot. You will be fine w/ any modern ammo. The K98 is the standard that all bolt guns that came afterwards strive to be. Where are you located?

Sniper03 12-17-2011 10:09 PM

If your 8mm Mauser Rifle is in good shape there is no doubt that it will handle modern manufacturer 8mm Mauser Ammunition. The Mauser action is one of the finest ever designed for the time. And if you notice a lot of modern rifles have a very similar bolt with some slight changes. One of the new Remington Rifle Models uses a Mauser type bolt. Parker Hale of the UK used the Mauser type bolt and there are many others! Check the rifle out and have fun. If you have any problems cleaning out the barrel get you some Sweets 7.62 Solvent!
It is bad stuff (as in good!) but do not mix it with any other solvent in the bore when using. Also do not leave it in there for more than 10-15 minutes at a time before dry patching it out. It has a very strong ammonia concentrate! Repeat the process until the bore is clean and then be sure to dry patch any of the 7.62 residue from the barrel. First few times you let it set and work you will be the most beautiful Blue Green color on your patch after letting it set for a few minutes. That is the copper, powder and other residue being dissolved. But it will work on even the stubbornness of barrels as far as removing crud. After you get the bore completely free from any of it's residue. Be sure and run a lube down the bore a few times then patch out the excess lube and you are good to go! Good luck on that new Mauser they are great guns! There also have been too many of the good military models cut down and customized! Makes me want to cry!

DerHund15 12-17-2011 10:50 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jpattersonnh
Original German ammo was fairly hot, I shoot Turkish 7.92x57 that is really hot. You will be fine w/ any modern ammo. The K98 is the standard that all bolt guns that came afterwards strive to be. Where are you located?

I'm located in Nevada. I'm testing it out today with some ammunition I bought at a gun show. Thanks for your help. :)

DerHund15 12-17-2011 10:52 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Sniper03

If your 8mm Mauser Rifle is in good shape there is no doubt that it will handle modern manufacturer 8mm Mauser Ammunition. The Mauser action is one of the finest ever designed for the time. And if you notice a lot of modern rifles have a very similar bolt with some slight changes. One of the new Remington Rifle Models uses a Mauser type bolt. Parker Hale of the UK used the Mauser type bolt and there are many others! Check the rifle out and have fun. If you have any problems cleaning out the barrel get you some Sweets 7.62 Solvent!
It is bad stuff (as in good!) but do not mix it with any other solvent in the bore when using. Also do not leave it in there for more than 10-15 minutes at a time before dry patching it out. It has a very strong ammonia concentrate! Repeat the process until the bore is clean and then be sure to dry patch any of the 7.62 residue from the barrel. First few times you let it set and work you will be the most beautiful Blue Green color on your patch after letting it set for a few minutes. That is the copper, powder and other residue being dissolved. But it will work on even the stubbornness of barrels as far as removing crud. After you get the bore completely free from any of it's residue. Be sure and run a lube down the bore a few times then patch out the excess lube and you are good to go! Good luck on that new Mauser they are great guns! There also have been too many of the good military models cut down and customized! Makes me want to cry!

Thank you very much! I'll be testing it out today, can't wait to see how it goes. I'll pick up some of that as well, thanks for your help. :)

jpattersonnh 12-17-2011 11:05 PM

We still need pics!

DerHund15 12-17-2011 11:11 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jpattersonnh
We still need pics!

http://s1233.photobucket.com/albums/ff394/MrMauser57/?action=viewĄt=2bd55268.jpg&evt=user_media_share

It's a Yugoslavian one, not an original German rifle so it's not very impressive, I enjoy it quite a bit though. I wish I could identify it though, the markings are very odd.

303tom 12-18-2011 02:06 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DerHund15 (Post 654354)
The barrel looks great, just a little dirty as does the bore. Can I use modern ammo in the rifle? Is it safe,

Yes.............