Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com

Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/)
-   General Rifle Discussion (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f18/)
-   -   can i be gifted a rifle? (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f18/can-i-gifted-rifle-64991/)

beastmode986 05-23-2012 01:36 AM

can i be gifted a rifle?

Okay so im wondering if my mom or dad can gift me a rifle or shotgun.my parents are okay with it. Im 14 and in illinois. So if my mom or dad has a foid card can they gift me it legally as a birthday gift? When i was talking to one of the people at cabelas at the gun section in indiana he said i could if i lived in indiana but hes not sure about illinois.

Zombiegirl 05-23-2012 01:43 AM

Have them sell it to you for a dollar. There are forms online that you can download to transfer a weapon. Not sure about the age though.

MobileMarine 05-23-2012 01:45 AM

Email or call a lawyer in your area or contact the NRA ,Windsofchange lives over there , she may can tell ya

mountainman13 05-23-2012 01:45 AM

Depends on your state laws. If you are of legal age and have the required licenses they should be able to do a personal transfer to you.

PlaysWithZombies 05-23-2012 01:46 AM

At 14 i don't believe they can sell it to you, but if the proper forms are filled out it can be gifted. I'm no lawyer though so i could be wrong. c3 would probably know

Gatoragn 05-23-2012 01:48 AM

40 years ago my parents gave me a Remington 1100 12 guage for Christmas. In the vast majority of the U.S. it is still legal to gift a gun to someone that can legally own it.

Check with someone that really knows IL laws to be sure. As a minor child it is largely semantics regarding who owns the gun, your parents would be accountable for whatever happened if you had an accident with or misused the a gun.

Most states have laws specifying a minimum age for unsupervised use of firearms.

CHLChris 05-23-2012 01:49 AM

Is this an Illinois gun law question or an IRS question?

The phrase "gift" is usually associated with an amount of money is it pertains to the gift taxes the gift might cause. The value of any gun (almost) would not rise to the level of the exemption. It shouldn't be a problem at all.

Now if you are asking a legal question, the adults involved should do their own homework and not rely on the word of a (obviously mature, of course) 14yo who received advice from the interwebz.

purehavoc 05-23-2012 02:00 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by beastmode986 (Post 811322)
Okay so im wondering if my mom or dad can gift me a rifle or shotgun.my parents are okay with it. Im 14 and in illinois. So if my mom or dad has a foid card can they gift me it legally as a birthday gift? When i was talking to one of the people at cabelas at the gun section in indiana he said i could if i lived in indiana but hes not sure about illinois.

Do you have a FOID card ? If not I suggest you get one . I would not gift anyone a firearm if they did not have their own FOID card regardless of their age .

JonM 05-23-2012 02:05 AM

locking this post for now till i get an answer from the boss

JonM 05-23-2012 04:01 AM

OP you need to get your parents involved and contact the illinois foid folks. I cant cut and paste the info from my nook. If someone doesnt beat me to it i can get the info posted tomorrow afternoon.