Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Long Guns > General Rifle Discussion > Can barely see out of my Mosin 91/30 sporter scope... what gives?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-07-2011, 02:30 PM   #11
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 671 Times on 447 Posts
Likes Given: 676

Quote:
Originally Posted by khenzel View Post
Shoot... i had no idea...

So this appears to be the scope i got:

Amazon.com: NcSTAR® 4x32 mm Mark III Illuminated Reticle Tactical Scope Weaver / Picatinny Mount: Sports & Outdoors

So there is basically no way to make it work for my purpose? It apparently has a 3" eye relief...

Is there a way i could extend the top rail? Do they sell rail extensions to fit this purpose? The bolt bar is not an issue... i have a bent-bolt on order, so it would clear the scope no problem if i could extend it out...
If you already have the scope and have a bent bolt on the way I would get a rail that mounts over the bolt that way you can have a scope and still retain your open sights..... the only reason to use the scout mount (In my opinion) is if you wanted to keep the straight bolt...... I think ATI makes some mounts for the Mosin

Old 06-07-2011, 07:39 PM   #12

ehh, i guess i'll just take it off and put it on my SKS. I'll have to save up and get a long eye relief scope for my mosin when the time is right. Gotta wait 3 mos for the bolt to come back anyway.

Thanks very much for the replies!

Old 06-07-2011, 07:42 PM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trez View Post
If you already have the scope and have a bent bolt on the way I would get a rail that mounts over the bolt that way you can have a scope and still retain your open sights..... the only reason to use the scout mount (In my opinion) is if you wanted to keep the straight bolt...... I think ATI makes some mounts for the Mosin

I do have a bolt on the way, but i like the UTG set up with the tri rail so i can mount my light and laser. I just like how it looks.

I think i'll get a long scope and mount it just up to the tip so it will hang over my bolt a good amount. This way i can bring it in and still make use of the rail system i already have.

BTW, if you notice, i had the barrel sawed off just behind the sight post so i could mount a muzzle brake to the barrel. Open sights are not a concern to me on this rifle. I just wanted to make something tactical and modernized.

Old 06-07-2011, 09:32 PM   #14

Liked 663 Times on 454 Posts
Likes Given: 666

Quote:
Originally Posted by khenzel View Post
I do have a bolt on the way, but i like the UTG set up with the tri rail so i can mount my light and laser. I just like how it looks.

I think i'll get a long scope and mount it just up to the tip so it will hang over my bolt a good amount. This way i can bring it in and still make use of the rail system i already have.

BTW, if you notice, i had the barrel sawed off just behind the sight post so i could mount a muzzle brake to the barrel. Open sights are not a concern to me on this rifle. I just wanted to make something tactical and modernized.
So how will cutting the barrel effect harmonics?

Freedom is not free. The best of us always leave too soon.