Can barely see out of my Mosin 91/30 sporter scope... what gives?
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Long Guns > General Rifle Discussion > Can barely see out of my Mosin 91/30 sporter scope... what gives?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-07-2011, 12:47 AM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Default Can barely see out of my Mosin 91/30 sporter scope... what gives?

Hi,

I just sportered my Mosin Nagant... put a ATI stock on it, a UTG scope mount (the tri rail that fits over the stock rear ladder sight base), and a NCstar 4x32 illuminated scope.

Problem is that the scope is mounted so far forward that i can barely make out a small portion out of the scope when i rest against the cheek rest. I have to put my eye right up over the bolt to get full visibility.

Is there some trick to gain better visible area out of a scope such as this, or am i pretty much screwed? I suppose i can still see out of it somewhat (like 1/6 the visible area), but it severely hinders use. Is there any tricks to increase this visible area other then the obvious solution of sticking my eye square over the bolt-receiver? (which i'm obviously not going to do)

I'd love suggestions here...

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 06-07-2011, 12:52 AM   #2

Liked 46 Times on 28 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by khenzel View Post
Hi,

I just sportered my Mosin Nagant... put a ATI stock on it, a UTG scope mount (the tri rail that fits over the stock rear ladder sight base), and a NCstar 4x32 illuminated scope.

Problem is that the scope is mounted so far forward that i can barely make out a small portion out of the scope when i rest against the cheek rest. I have to put my eye right up over the bolt to get full visibility.

Is there some trick to gain better visible area out of a scope such as this, or am i pretty much screwed? I suppose i can still see out of it somewhat (like 1/6 the visible area), but it severely hinders use. Is there any tricks to increase this visible area other then the obvious solution of sticking my eye square over the bolt-receiver? (which i'm obviously not going to do)

I'd love suggestions here...
A picture of the setup would help a lot.

Old 06-07-2011, 01:35 AM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wambli View Post
A picture of the setup would help a lot.
I've posted them all up here:
Can barely see out of my Mosin 91/30 sporter scope... what gives? in General Discussion Forum

(easier to link them on that forum... just grabs off photobucket.

Have a gander if you could. i'd love to hear suggestions.

Old 06-07-2011, 01:54 AM   #4

Liked 740 Times on 490 Posts
Likes Given: 802

Did you get a long eye relief scope?

Old 06-07-2011, 02:01 AM   #5

Liked 188 Times on 131 Posts
Likes Given: 304

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trez View Post
Did you get a long eye relief scope?
and if not does your optic have an adjustment dial for eye relief???

feel free to ignore my 2 cents BUT...the only accesory that a MN needs is a bayonet or scope...

Old 06-07-2011, 02:06 AM   #6
FTF_MODERATOR.png

Liked 5738 Times on 2997 Posts
Likes Given: 380

eye relief is a fixed feature of a given scope usually adjusted by moving the scope itself up and down the firearm. you need a long eye relief scope for your application.

"Gun control: The theory that a woman found dead in an alley, raped and strangled with her panty hose, is somehow morally superior to a woman explaining to police how her attacker got that fatal bullet wound." — L. Neil Smith

The problem with being stupid is you cannot simply decide to stop doing dumb things...

Old 06-07-2011, 02:21 AM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by JonM View Post
eye relief is a fixed feature of a given scope usually adjusted by moving the scope itself up and down the firearm. you need a long eye relief scope for your application.
Shoot... i had no idea...

So this appears to be the scope i got:

Amazon.com: NcSTAR® 4x32 mm Mark III Illuminated Reticle Tactical Scope Weaver / Picatinny Mount: Sports & Outdoors

So there is basically no way to make it work for my purpose? It apparently has a 3" eye relief...

Is there a way i could extend the top rail? Do they sell rail extensions to fit this purpose? The bolt bar is not an issue... i have a bent-bolt on order, so it would clear the scope no problem if i could extend it out...

Last edited by khenzel; 06-07-2011 at 02:25 AM.

Old 06-07-2011, 02:43 AM   #8
FTF_MODERATOR.png

Liked 5738 Times on 2997 Posts
Likes Given: 380

Quote:
Originally Posted by khenzel View Post
Shoot... i had no idea...

So this appears to be the scope i got:

Amazon.com: NcSTAR® 4x32 mm Mark III Illuminated Reticle Tactical Scope Weaver / Picatinny Mount: Sports & Outdoors

So there is basically no way to make it work for my purpose? It apparently has a 3" eye relief...

Is there a way i could extend the top rail? Do they sell rail extensions to fit this purpose? The bolt bar is not an issue... i have a bent-bolt on order, so it would clear the scope no problem if i could extend it out...
3" is a more traditional mount. im not sure there is an extension. far as i know you would have to put a mount closer to the rear. im not a mount expert as in what is out there but i dont think there is.

that particular scope looks like something folks put on ar15s ak47 etc.

you need a long eye relief scout type scope.

"Gun control: The theory that a woman found dead in an alley, raped and strangled with her panty hose, is somehow morally superior to a woman explaining to police how her attacker got that fatal bullet wound." — L. Neil Smith

The problem with being stupid is you cannot simply decide to stop doing dumb things...

Old 06-07-2011, 11:59 AM   #9

Liked 46 Times on 28 Posts

Quote:
...that particular scope looks like something folks put on ar15s ak47 etc.

you need a long eye relief scout type scope.
What he said...

Old 06-07-2011, 12:25 PM   #10

Liked 188 Times on 131 Posts
Likes Given: 304

Quote:
The occasional Target Shooting scope will have an eye relief dial around the rear lense behind the zoom dial.