Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com

Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/)
-   General Rifle Discussion (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f18/)
-   -   Can barely see out of my Mosin 91/30 sporter scope... what gives? (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f18/can-barely-see-out-my-mosin-91-30-sporter-scope-what-gives-43548/)

khenzel 06-07-2011 12:47 AM

Can barely see out of my Mosin 91/30 sporter scope... what gives?

Hi,

I just sportered my Mosin Nagant... put a ATI stock on it, a UTG scope mount (the tri rail that fits over the stock rear ladder sight base), and a NCstar 4x32 illuminated scope.

Problem is that the scope is mounted so far forward that i can barely make out a small portion out of the scope when i rest against the cheek rest. I have to put my eye right up over the bolt to get full visibility.

Is there some trick to gain better visible area out of a scope such as this, or am i pretty much screwed? I suppose i can still see out of it somewhat (like 1/6 the visible area), but it severely hinders use. Is there any tricks to increase this visible area other then the obvious solution of sticking my eye square over the bolt-receiver? (which i'm obviously not going to do)

I'd love suggestions here...

Wambli 06-07-2011 12:52 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by khenzel (Post 518878)
Hi,

I just sportered my Mosin Nagant... put a ATI stock on it, a UTG scope mount (the tri rail that fits over the stock rear ladder sight base), and a NCstar 4x32 illuminated scope.

Problem is that the scope is mounted so far forward that i can barely make out a small portion out of the scope when i rest against the cheek rest. I have to put my eye right up over the bolt to get full visibility.

Is there some trick to gain better visible area out of a scope such as this, or am i pretty much screwed? I suppose i can still see out of it somewhat (like 1/6 the visible area), but it severely hinders use. Is there any tricks to increase this visible area other then the obvious solution of sticking my eye square over the bolt-receiver? (which i'm obviously not going to do)

I'd love suggestions here...

A picture of the setup would help a lot.

khenzel 06-07-2011 01:35 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Wambli (Post 518882)
A picture of the setup would help a lot.

I've posted them all up here:
Can barely see out of my Mosin 91/30 sporter scope... what gives? in General Discussion Forum

(easier to link them on that forum... just grabs off photobucket.

Have a gander if you could. i'd love to hear suggestions.

Trez 06-07-2011 01:54 AM

Did you get a long eye relief scope?

TimL2952 06-07-2011 02:01 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Trez (Post 518922)
Did you get a long eye relief scope?

and if not does your optic have an adjustment dial for eye relief???

feel free to ignore my 2 cents BUT...the only accesory that a MN needs is a bayonet or scope...

JonM 06-07-2011 02:06 AM

eye relief is a fixed feature of a given scope usually adjusted by moving the scope itself up and down the firearm. you need a long eye relief scope for your application.

khenzel 06-07-2011 02:21 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JonM (Post 518930)
eye relief is a fixed feature of a given scope usually adjusted by moving the scope itself up and down the firearm. you need a long eye relief scope for your application.

Shoot... i had no idea...

So this appears to be the scope i got:

Amazon.com: NcSTARŪ 4x32 mm Mark III Illuminated Reticle Tactical Scope Weaver / Picatinny Mount: Sports & Outdoors

So there is basically no way to make it work for my purpose? It apparently has a 3" eye relief...

Is there a way i could extend the top rail? Do they sell rail extensions to fit this purpose? The bolt bar is not an issue... i have a bent-bolt on order, so it would clear the scope no problem if i could extend it out...

JonM 06-07-2011 02:43 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by khenzel (Post 518937)
Shoot... i had no idea...

So this appears to be the scope i got:

Amazon.com: NcSTARŪ 4x32 mm Mark III Illuminated Reticle Tactical Scope Weaver / Picatinny Mount: Sports & Outdoors

So there is basically no way to make it work for my purpose? It apparently has a 3" eye relief...

Is there a way i could extend the top rail? Do they sell rail extensions to fit this purpose? The bolt bar is not an issue... i have a bent-bolt on order, so it would clear the scope no problem if i could extend it out...

3" is a more traditional mount. im not sure there is an extension. far as i know you would have to put a mount closer to the rear. im not a mount expert as in what is out there but i dont think there is.

that particular scope looks like something folks put on ar15s ak47 etc.

you need a long eye relief scout type scope.

Wambli 06-07-2011 11:59 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JonM (Post 518943)
...that particular scope looks like something folks put on ar15s ak47 etc.

you need a long eye relief scout type scope.

What he said...

TimL2952 06-07-2011 12:25 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JonM (Post 518930)

The occasional Target Shooting scope will have an eye relief dial around the rear lense behind the zoom dial.