Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com

Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/)
-   General Rifle Discussion (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f18/)
-   -   Can anyone tell me more about this rifle 9mm Flobert (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f18/can-anyone-tell-me-more-about-rifle-9mm-flobert-72843/)

wazer 09-20-2012 11:07 AM

Can anyone tell me more about this rifle 9mm Flobert

3 Attachment(s)
Hi everyone,

I have a rifle with a strong octagon barrel, cal. 9mm flobert. It looks like something old, but I can't put a year on it. I've attached some pics.

Does someone knows more about this type of rifle and possibly the manufacturer? And how do you call this kind of 'firing mechanism'? (Assuming that the firing pin is still present, because it's missing on the pics)

I can't find any marks on the barrel, and except 9FL, there is nothing else readable on the barrel.

Hope that someone has an idea by just looking at the form and firing mechanism.

Thanks!!
_

hardluk1 09-20-2012 11:44 AM

Is there rifleing in the barrel or is it a smooth bore?? I do see ammo is avalible at a rather low cost too but only in shot shells.
aybe this will help on the rifle- It does look to be made by the same company at least. - http://hunting.about.com/od/guns/ss/H-Pieper-Flobert-Warnant-32-Rimfire-Rifle-Review-Profile.htm

hiwall 09-20-2012 01:36 PM

2 Attachment(s)
These are fairly common and in-expensive guns. Here are a couple pics of one of mine in 22 cal with the Rem rolling block style action. Many of these guns are unsafe to shoot. Often the barrels were not even rifled. Make great wall hangers. They are fairly old (most 100+ years). Made by many different makers and most have few if any markings. I have seen many many of these through the years but it is hard to find two the same. Sights were mostly crude(matching the gun). Value on these run $50 to $4 or 5 hundred(most in the $100 or less range).

wazer 09-20-2012 02:28 PM

@hardluk1 Where can I see if the gun is rifled? If I look through the barrel I can't see any rifling. The visible bore (at the end of the barrel) is smooth.

Besides, why do they add the word 'flobert' to the caliber? I thought flobert stoods for rimfire cartridges? So I guess i am totally wrong...

@hiwall, if it's a 100+ year old rifle, they are loaded with black powder? Or not necessary?

-
Thanks a lot guys for your answers!

hiwall 09-20-2012 03:38 PM

Yes almost all were made for black powder. I am not joking about most being unsafe to shoot. They made some "special" ammo that was for these guns. Some had NO powder charge, just used the primer. Some were smaller than .22 caliber. I have never seen one larger than .32 rimfire. I can not remember seeing any in a centerfire chambering. If yours is in 9 mm rimfire I urge you NOT to attempt to shoot it. There have been many different 9 mm rimfire cartridges made in the past. Now all you are likely to find are the 9 mm shotshells. They are too potent for your gun!

hardluk1 09-20-2012 05:37 PM

Best I could tell the "flobert" name ment - small cartidge for target shooting - cap and ball. Seems to lots of them around over time . Just you know if your is in good functional shape and clean but probably a better show piece today.

wazer 09-23-2012 03:31 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by hiwall (Post 948309)
Yes almost all were made for black powder. I am not joking about most being unsafe to shoot. They made some "special" ammo that was for these guns. Some had NO powder charge, just used the primer. Some were smaller than .22 caliber. I have never seen one larger than .32 rimfire. I can not remember seeing any in a centerfire chambering. If yours is in 9 mm rimfire I urge you NOT to attempt to shoot it. There have been many different 9 mm rimfire cartridges made in the past. Now all you are likely to find are the 9 mm shotshells. They are too potent for your gun!

Thanks for warning but I wasn't planned for shooting it. It's not complete eiter.

At least now I know some more about this rifle. It's old (100+), the shooting mechanism is "rolling block" and it isn't clearly who made it.

More info is still welcome.

Thanks!

wazer 09-23-2012 03:36 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by hardluk1 (Post 948445)
Best I could tell the "flobert" name ment - small cartidge for target shooting - cap and ball. Seems to lots of them around over time . Just you know if your is in good functional shape and clean but probably a better show piece today.

What about the .22 LR calibers, they are for target shooting too but I've never seen they addded 'flobert' to this type of calibers. I've wel seen 6mm flobert, but I guess they aren't the same.

And what do you mean with "cap and ball"? I've looked for it, but i came out to revolvers.

hardluk1 09-23-2012 03:39 PM

I can do and look up the same as you. Thats what I found. See what you find. theres also a 32cal flobert . who knows. Old non shooters at this point.

wazer 09-23-2012 03:54 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by hardluk1 (Post 951676)
I can do and look up the same as you. Thats what I found. See what you find. theres also a 32cal flobert . who knows. Old non shooters at this point.

Ok thanks in advance, I will look further.