Can .50 Cal bullets travel 5 miles? - Page 5
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Long Guns > General Rifle Discussion > Can .50 Cal bullets travel 5 miles?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-30-2008, 06:15 AM   #41
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Quote:
Originally Posted by JiroZero713 View Post
Well a ban on .50 I wouldn't really dislike...I mean for civilian use it's basically useless and to damn dangerous as a gun.
Condoning the banning of any gun could leave you with nothing more than a stick or a rock. "A well regulated militia being necessary to the security of a free state, the right of the people to bear arms shall not be infringed." Our fore fathers recognized that a stick was no match against the then government's flintlocks, hence the words "shall not be infringed" which to me means that the people should have sufficient weapons to protect themselves from a runaway government.

When I got my 50 BMG I was warned by the maker that the gun would shoot 6 miles. While I have the ability and location to check that out I haven't done it yet. To get maximum range from any gun it has to pointed at about a 45 degree angle from level ground. In my opinion there is no way any bullet would even travel half its maximum distance after a ricochet simply because so much energy would be absorbed when striking something causing the bullet to change direction. Additionally the bullet would most likely be damaged becoming ballistically unstable. Also 6,500 meters is 4.03 miles. Bottom line I believe the Texas story is possible but it had to be a direct shot and not a ricochet.

Old 11-30-2008, 10:23 PM   #42
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 24 Times on 18 Posts
Likes Given: 48

Our gun club had a problem when some shooters with .50s started shooting there. The club is one of the few in the area with a 300 yd range. The problem arose when the shooters started placing targets on the berm (gentle slope) in front of the old target pits (overgrown). There was a substantial backstop- high enough, wide enough and thick enough. There would have been no problem had the shooters been knowledgeable enough to recognize that the targets should have ben placed at the top of the berm and off the ground (yhe backstop could have done its job).
The club is unsupervised and open to members 24/7. The club ended up bulldozing the berm and old pits and placing the materials from the berm atop the existing backstop.
A DANGEROUS SITUATION CAUSED BY A LACK OF KNOWLEDGE OF HOW THINGS WERE SUPPOSED TO WORK.

Old 11-30-2008, 10:50 PM   #43

Quote:
Originally Posted by h2oking View Post
Condoning the banning of any gun could leave you with nothing more than a stick or a rock. "A well regulated militia being necessary to the security of a free state, the right of the people to bear arms shall not be infringed." Our fore fathers recognized that a stick was no match against the then government's flintlocks, hence the words "shall not be infringed" which to me means that the people should have sufficient weapons to protect themselves from a runaway government.

When I got my 50 BMG I was warned by the maker that the gun would shoot 6 miles. While I have the ability and location to check that out I haven't done it yet. To get maximum range from any gun it has to pointed at about a 45 degree angle from level ground. In my opinion there is no way any bullet would even travel half its maximum distance after a ricochet simply because so much energy would be absorbed when striking something causing the bullet to change direction. Additionally the bullet would most likely be damaged becoming ballistically unstable. Also 6,500 meters is 4.03 miles. Bottom line I believe the Texas story is possible but it had to be a direct shot and not a ricochet.
We've already explained this and I retracted my statement...but preference for me is that the .50 Cal Sniper Rifles are useless...at least for me....far to much recoil....rounds are to expensive...and bulky.....granted in SHTF if it called for it I'd use one...but I'd probably favor a Mosin Sniper over that any day.

Old 12-01-2008, 02:39 AM   #44

Quote:
Originally Posted by JiroZero713 View Post
We've already explained this and I retracted my statement...but preference for me is that the .50 Cal Sniper Rifles are useless...at least for me....far to much recoil....rounds are to expensive...and bulky.....granted in SHTF if it called for it I'd use one...but I'd probably favor a Mosin Sniper over that any day.
I apologize as I did not read your retraction before I posted. As for 50 caliber rifles being useless ... well right or wrong everyone is intitled to their opinion.