Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Long Guns > General Rifle Discussion > Can .50 Cal bullets travel 5 miles?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-06-2008, 08:33 PM   #21
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dillinger View Post
No, that's cool. I wasn't mad. I was just curious. I always like to know when a gun owner of brand/model/design X wouldn't want me personally to be able to purchase brand/model/design Y.

I personally see no real need for the Glock pistol series in my world, but I wouldn't stop someone else from buying one and shooting the hell out of it if that is what they wanted.

Personally, I would love to have both a .408 Cheytac AND a .416 Barrett - for no other reason than of what "I COULD DO" with them if the Space Zombies ever show up.

Just show them this picture.

That'll show them

Old 11-06-2008, 09:56 PM   #22

Quote:
Originally Posted by matt g View Post
Many hobbyists use it for long distance shooting.
Thats one expensive hobby.

Old 11-06-2008, 11:00 PM   #23
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 7 Times on 5 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by mlmiller1983 View Post
Thats one expensive hobby.
It really is. .50 BMG an a Barrett M82 or M107 is still less expensive than the Cheytac option though.

"'Did you ever wonder why we had to run for shelter when the promise of a brave new world unfurled beneath a clear blue sky? "
Roger Waters

Vote freedom, join the Libertarian Party.

Old 11-07-2008, 01:07 AM   #24
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 1993 Times on 1071 Posts
Likes Given: 2968

Quote:
No, not possible... It did. Forensics concluded today it was one of his bullets that pierced through the top of the travel home and hit that lady.
Distance X=6,500 merters. That equates to 4.0388 miles. If it traveled five miles it had to have been fired at a high angle or it bounced off something at very high velocity and went high angle.

.50 caliber SLAP projectiles will easily travel five miles. Distance X for a .50 caliber SLAP projectile is 8,700 meters. Doubt that it was one of these.

Old 11-07-2008, 04:34 AM   #25

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by JiroZero713 View Post
J

There was a guy dressed up as Quail Man for Halloween this year. Doug-related costumes are not the most universally-understood costumes you could choose, you know...

Oh, and this was local news, since it happened here. I want more details as this unfolds. I hope they keep us posted.

Old 11-07-2008, 04:39 AM   #26

Default Details of what Happened

Hello I'm new here.
The Lady Jill King and her husband Mel Moss are my aunt and uncle. I was at the race also but was already at the track.

It hit her in the arm after coming through the roof. Broke the bone in her arm and almost hit her artery. She was released thrusday from the hospital.

It looks like the guy that shot the gun was 700 Yards he said from his target and 2 1/2 miles from the track and that it hit the burn and

Old 11-07-2008, 08:24 AM   #27

Location: I see you, and you will not know when I will strike
Liked 3475 Times on 1607 Posts
Likes Given: 3590

Quote:
Originally Posted by cox777 View Post
Hello I'm new here.
The Lady Jill King and her husband Mel Moss are my aunt and uncle. I was at the race also but was already at the track.

It hit her in the arm after coming through the roof. Broke the bone in her arm and almost hit her artery. She was released thrusday from the hospital.

It looks like the guy that shot the gun was 700 Yards he said from his target and 2 1/2 miles from the track and that it hit the burn and
First off, welcome and thank you for taking the time to stop by and fill in some of the missing facts.

You have our sympathies in that your aunt was merely going about her normal life and was suddenly thrust into a situation that should have never happened.

There are several of our members here who feel the same way and hope that she makes a full, complete, & healthy recovery.

As for the facts of the shooting - 700 yards is a much more reasonable distance for target shooting with a round of that caliber, but I still stand behind the fact that the shooter should have had a much better backstop to insure an event like this did not happen.

As a responsible gun owner, it was his duty to insure the direction his weapon was pointed was safe and that the material into which he was firing was capable of successfully dispersing the energy of the round. Accidents do happen and we do not have the full story as to the shooting conditions, so I will leave it at that.

cox777 please keep us informed of your aunt's recovery and thank you again for taking the time to stop by and post.

JD

Old 11-07-2008, 11:14 AM   #28
Supporting Member
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 51 Times on 32 Posts
Likes Given: 12

I watched a video yesterday of that gun range where the incident occured. The "demo" weapon was a Vulcan .50 shooting at 700 yards. I am guessing the berm is 12" high and virtually every shot properly imbedded.

From what I could see, it was nothing more than a freak accident.

Channel 11 News story: http://cbs11tv.com/local/tms.bullet.investigation.2.858491.html

Old 11-07-2008, 12:00 PM   #29
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 1993 Times on 1071 Posts
Likes Given: 2968

Glad that the lady is going to get well. That round could have easily killed her if it had hit her in the head.

According to the news article the bullet came from 2.5 miles away.

Folks who know very little of their capability are buying .50 caliber guns and firing them on ranges that are inadequate for that round. Have never been near that Ft. Worth range. I will tell you that the US Army would not allow a .50 caliber Browning chambered weapon to be fired on that range.

The private weapons range on a military post was just closed because muzzleloader shooters loaded their guns with huge charges, had close in ricochets off the hard ground and bounced bullets over a hill located about 110 meters from the firing point. That hill is about 60-75 feet high. The bullets went into an occupied building and cars in a parking lot about .25-.5 miles away. This range had been in use for decades with few problems.

Old 11-07-2008, 01:28 PM   #30

Location: I see you, and you will not know when I will strike
Liked 3475 Times on 1607 Posts
Likes Given: 3590

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark F View Post
I watched a video yesterday of that gun range where the incident occured. The "demo" weapon was a Vulcan .50 shooting at 700 yards. I am guessing the berm is 12" high and virtually every shot properly imbedded.

From what I could see, it was nothing more than a freak accident.
Okay, fair enough. Accidents happen. I still feel a 12" berm is a tad small for that type of long range shooting, but if all the test rounds had no problems, then it probably has been in place and accepted for years and years of use.

*off the soapbox*