Can .50 Cal bullets travel 5 miles? - Page 2
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Long Guns > General Rifle Discussion > Can .50 Cal bullets travel 5 miles?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-06-2008, 06:26 PM   #11
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Location: I see you, and you will not know when I will strike
Liked 3479 Times on 1609 Posts
Likes Given: 3590

Quote:
Originally Posted by JiroZero713 View Post
Well a ban on .50 I wouldn't really dislike...I mean for civilian use it's basically useless and to damn dangerous as a gun.
The .50 isn't the long range record holder on the block anymore. Are you going to ban the likes of the .416 Barrett and the .408 Cheytac as well? Then are you going to start looking into the .338 Lapua's and all the Ultra Magnum cartridges?

I would suggest visiting someplace like the Penn 1,000 Yard Benchrest Folks and see how they feel about banning a long range weapon. Granted none of them are using a .50 for their benchrest competitions, but they were established in something like 1967 and they have had hundreds of .50 cal comps there in years past.

Start banning one weapon because you don't feel it has a civilian application and you have broken the damn. That is why we don't have access to military grade hardware anymore as granted under 2A. People didn't feel it was "needed" by the civilian populace....

Old 11-06-2008, 06:27 PM   #12
FTF_MODERATOR.png
Feedback Score: 1 reviews

Liked 2858 Times on 1488 Posts
Likes Given: 254

Just how dangerous is "too damn dangerous"? A 12 ga slug at 10 ft is pretty damn dangerous. Beware the slippery slope. If we can be convinced that a .50 BMG is too damn dangerous then we will end up with red ryder BB-guns. Oh, but those "could put an eye out!".

Old 11-06-2008, 07:10 PM   #13
Supporting Member
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 54 Times on 35 Posts
Likes Given: 12

Quote:
Originally Posted by alsaqr View Post
Could the bullet have have ricocheted off something and gone airborne for 5 miles? It is possible.
No, not possible... It did. Forensics concluded today it was one of his bullets that pierced through the top of the travel home and hit that lady. Because the shooter was honest & responcible enough to come forward on his own, neither the victim nor the police will file charges.

Last edited by Mark F; 11-06-2008 at 07:12 PM.

Old 11-06-2008, 07:17 PM   #14

Well, I am glad that he isn't being charged, but you can bet the next time the discussion comes up about "Dangerous Military Weapons in the Hands of Civilians" this case will be front and center.

I appreciate the guy was honest and came forward, but I want to kick him square in the sack for shooting a "berm" with a .50 Cal rifle. You have to know what that damn thing can do! Check your friggin backstop and make sure you can actually hit it.

Reminds me of that video of those clowns shooting a steel plate at something like 200 yards and the plate comes straight back down the flight path and just about takes the guys head off. 200 Yards! The damn round isn't even stable yet at 200 yards....

Old 11-06-2008, 07:39 PM   #15

Eh well a .50 no matter what is impractical for civilian use IMO.

I wouldn't fight a ban and I wouldn't accept a ban. I would be indifferent to that weapon.

But you raise a good point that it just leads to more banning since small arm rifles can travel much farther.

Old 11-06-2008, 07:54 PM   #16

Jiro - Now you have me truly curious. I mean no disrespect to your position, but if you feel the .50BMG isn't practical for civilian use, I can respect that.

But, is it that you personally see no NEED for the weapon? Or you think no one should have the weapon regardless of their view of it's use?

I'm merely curious to the thought process behind the statement....

Thanks,

JD

Old 11-06-2008, 08:14 PM   #17
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 7 Times on 5 Posts

Quote:
Eh well a .50 no matter what is impractical for civilian use IMO.

I wouldn't fight a ban and I wouldn't accept a ban. I would be indifferent to that weapon.

But you raise a good point that it just leads to more banning since small arm rifles can travel much farther.
Quote:
Any suggestions anyone? I'm looking for another semi auto to go with my SKS.

I looked at a nice FN FAL at the local gun show for around 560-570 bucks....but I was told that the G3 HK Varients are sometimes better.

Any suggestions? You can also list any number of rifles as well....I'd rather get a carbine or short rifle but I'm looking for something cheap in the 500-700 Dollar range or maybe under 1000

I'm fine with long rifles as well as long as they are more modern looking. I've already got my SKS so I'm looking for an all metal or metal/plastic m16 looking type sort of thing...although I'm not looking at ARs as I was planning on getting one....but I'd rather save up for the Bushmaster ACR at the beginning of next year for an m4 esque gun (I hope)
What do you need a FAL, G3, SKS or AR for? There are many that feel that there is no use for these weapons in civilian hands.

I just hope you understand what you're doing to yourself with your current train of thought. I can't own an FAL, G3 or SKS in California because many saw things the same way you do.

"'Did you ever wonder why we had to run for shelter when the promise of a brave new world unfurled beneath a clear blue sky? "
Roger Waters

Vote freedom, join the Libertarian Party.

Old 11-06-2008, 08:23 PM   #18

I see no need for the weapon for me.

Don't get angry guys other people can have them but personally I think they are stupid guns. So I'm indifferent to the weapon. More likely though now that I think about it I retarct that statement...I'd probably fight that kind of law. Would put a wave for more bannings....kinda like what happened with full auto weapons.

I'd rather have a Mosin or some other smaller arm rifle like a Scout...m-14 etc though when it comes to sniper rifles.

Just a personal opinion.

And Matt. Calm down. I'm not like those fat heads. I'd like to own at least one of those rifles for SHTF situations. I've settled on getting an AK instead...easier to manage.

Old 11-06-2008, 08:27 PM   #19

Quote:

Don't get angry guys other people can have them but personally I think they are stupid guns. So I'm indifferent to the weapon. More likely though now that I think about it I retarct that statement...I'd probably fight that kind of law. Would put a wave for more bannings....kinda like what happened with full auto weapons.

Just a personal opinion.

No, that's cool. I wasn't mad. I was just curious. I always like to know when a gun owner of brand/model/design X wouldn't want me personally to be able to purchase brand/model/design Y.

I personally see no real need for the Glock pistol series in my world, but I wouldn't stop someone else from buying one and shooting the hell out of it if that is what they wanted.

Personally, I would love to have both a .408 Cheytac AND a .416 Barrett - for no other reason than of what "I COULD DO" with them if the Space Zombies ever show up.

Old 11-06-2008, 08:31 PM   #20
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 7 Times on 5 Posts

Quote:

I'd rather have a Mosin or some other smaller arm rifle like a Scout...m-14 etc though when it comes to sniper rifles.

Just a personal opinion.

And Matt. Calm down. I'm not like those fat heads. I'd like to own at least one of those rifles for SHTF situations. I've settled on getting an AK instead...easier to manage.
I'm calm, I'm just trying to put things in perspective for you. We may quickly be coming upon trying times for the sports we enjoy and we can't let defeat come from within.

"'Did you ever wonder why we had to run for shelter when the promise of a brave new world unfurled beneath a clear blue sky? "
Roger Waters

Vote freedom, join the Libertarian Party.