All I did was flat black the stock, let that cure for a while (overnight).
Then tear up masking tape to make the stripes. The torn edge of the tape to the outside, stripes made from multiple pcs of tape. I did not push the tape on hard, for fear of it yanking the base coat up in removal. Oh yeah, the stock was degreased and lightly sanded to offer a better grip for the base coat. If I took all the paint off the stock would look pretty normal (not all scratched up).
Then fog it green, then where the stripes are highlight with a lighter color (in this case tan).
I've done some bows like that for bowfishing, use grey with blue highlights, pretty cool.
Takes about 2 hrs to tape up a bow or stock, and get the last 2 colors on, dry enough to peel off.
The big deal is to not make the pattern too busy, so make the stripes bigger than ya think. This 700 was as small as I'd go. The butt area wasn't as good as I liked, but I have done enough jobs to know that if it's tolerable, leave it alone
FWIW Krylon I believe makes a cool paint called "webbing" that can duplicate some manufacturer's splatter effects. I run white with grey highlights and black webbing for snow camo. I did a little 600 and it came out very good, but pics don't do it justice
I use a matte clear spray for the protective finish. It seems to hold up well. Solvents over time, if left to stand, will eat it off. If done right the clear can be a real PITA to get off (I undid an 870 synth stock set I painted and man it was on there good!). I scrubbed like crazy to get the clear to break down, the reg paint came off easier (used acetone). The 700 has been cleaned, maintained, using Remoil, the gun hunted hard, and the paintjob so far looks undisturbed.
I dunno what bug spray would do to the clear.